Re: [Good_Kefir_Grains] Question

  • Tiffany Glock
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
      My kefir is always in the refrigerator--after it's been made of course--once the
      24 hours are up, I remove the grains, then stir and pour the kefir into a
      pitcher that goes into he refrigerator. I have a smoothie every morning. I
      have not had the kefir plain.
      ¸.·´* .·´*¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´* -:¦:-
      ((¸¸.·´*~Tiffany.·´*¨¨ ))
      -:¦:- ·· ((¸¸.·´* .·´*((¸¸.·.·´ *-:¦:- ...

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2010
        Mine tastes a little better (gets a nice tang) if it gets to stay a
        little longer than 24 hours. Then I refrigerate it.
      • ROGER BIRD
        Message 3 of 17 , May 12, 2011
          Dear Kefir Krowd,

          Will blending with the might Vitamix kill the kefir in the kefir liquid or in the kefir grains?

          Roger

          Mitchell and Katrina Bird's Incredibly Lucky Daddy

        • Rae
          Message 4 of 17 , May 13, 2011
            Hi Roger,
            It is my opinion that if your vitamix heats the milk kefir higher than
            110 degrees, that would have an adverse effect to the living bacteria in milk kefir. Might also effect the mk at lower temps too.
            Mixing (like with a stick blender or hand mixer) should not effect the 'life' but could make them really, really dizzy - lol.
            Seriously, heat is just one way to kill living bacteria.

            be well,
            Rae in Idaho
          • Liam Serf
            Message 5 of 17 , May 13, 2011
              The vitamix is a great machine, but it needs to be used with some reserve.

              The big issue with the vitamix is that it runs at such a high speed that it
              can break the cells of the food open against the wall of the container. The
              blades spin at 120miles/hr. I have seen raw milk fat cells break completely
              open and the sides of the container become covered with grease (fat). If you
              use a vitamix use the lower speeds with live foods so they are not damaged.

              Heat can become an issue if you run it for a long time. It will boil water
              but it takes near 15 mins. The speed of the machine kills the cells before
              the heat gets them.

              We make raw milk yogurt smoothies all the time, just don¹t kick in the turbo
              (high speed) switch. Or add the live foods last after the other stuff is
              ground up. :)

              Hope that helps.

              Liam in Fort Worth

              On 5/13/11 8:07 PM, "Rae" <SweetEvilWoman@...> wrote:

              > Hi Roger,
              > It is my opinion that if your vitamix heats the milk kefir higher than
              > 110 degrees, that would have an adverse effect to the living bacteria in milk
              > kefir. Might also effect the mk at lower temps too.
              > Mixing (like with a stick blender or hand mixer) should not effect the 'life'
              > but could make them really, really dizzy - lol.
              > Seriously, heat is just one way to kill living bacteria.
              >
              > be well,
              > Rae in Idaho

            • bachcole2
              Message 6 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                Liam,

                That is the knowledgeable and definitive answer I was looking for. Thank you.

                Roger

                --- In Good_Kefir_Grains@yahoogroups.com, Liam Serf <liam@...> wrote:

                > The vitamix is a great machine, but it needs to be used with some reserve.
                >
                > The big issue with the vitamix is that it runs at such a high speed that it
                > can break the cells of the food open against the wall of the container. The
                > blades spin at 120miles/hr. I have seen raw milk fat cells break completely
                > open and the sides of the container become covered with grease (fat). If you
                > use a vitamix use the lower speeds with live foods so they are not damaged.
                >
                > Heat can become an issue if you run it for a long time. It will boil water
                > but it takes near 15 mins. The speed of the machine kills the cells before
                > the heat gets them.
                >
                > We make raw milk yogurt smoothies all the time, just don¹t kick in the turbo
                > (high speed) switch. Or add the live foods last after the other stuff is
                > ground up. :)
                >
                > Hope that helps.
                >
                > Liam in Fort Worth
                >

                > On 5/13/11 8:07 PM, "Rae" <SweetEvilWoman@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hi Roger,
                > > It is my opinion that if your vitamix heats the milk kefir higher than
                > > 110 degrees, that would have an adverse effect to the living bacteria in milk
                > > kefir. Might also effect the mk at lower temps too.
                > > Mixing (like with a stick blender or hand mixer) should not effect the 'life'
                > > but could make them really, really dizzy - lol.
                > > Seriously, heat is just one way to kill living bacteria.
                > >
                > > be well,
                > > Rae in Idaho

              • Joyce M. Simmerman
                Message 7 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                  Rae ... right on! I wondered about the separation of them as it is the
                  complete matrix that reproduces as a whole .. if they are "dizzy' and
                  "scattered" they may not be able to "regroup" and work! :) (seriously
                  .. but who knows? I think that's a possible reason the commercial
                  kefirs aren't using it. Joyce Simemrman
                • Andres Careaga
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 13, 2011
                    Wouldn't that kind of beat the grains into really small pieces?

                    andy careaga

                    ________________________________
                    From: Rae <SweetEvilWoman@...>
                    Subject: [Good_Kefir_Grains] Re: Question
                    ...Mixing (like with a stick blender or hand mixer) should not effect the 'life'
                    but...

                  • ljlemer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                      I've got some grains that are composed of skin-like peels that are folded over like they were formed on a surface and peeled off of it. It has a leathery or plastic look. Is that unusual?

                      Larry
                    • Tanya
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                        That isn’t unusual, though I’ve never seen it personally. But yes, kefir grains can transform to ribbons and then re-transform into clusters. Are they very crowded in their container?

                        Tanya

                        I've got some grains that are composed of skin-like peels that are folded over like they were formed on a surface and peeled off of it. It has a leathery or plastic look. Is that unusual?

                        Larry

                      • Larry Lemer
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                          They arrived in a folded plastic bag. That must be it.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                            Oops! Signed Larry, of course! I'm very good at trimming my posts and have been doing so for over a decade. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks and I sometimes forget to sign, especially if I'm replying quickly and briefly.

                            Larry