syrupy water kefir

  • newmoondawn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 8:06 AM
      After letting my water kefir grains rest for the winter (neglect, basically!), and seeing that they had tripled in size, I assumed they were still alive. I started making fruit-flavored beverages with them again but now they are coming out extremely syrupy.I'm trying to make a fruity, effervescent beverage as I have successfully done in the past. Does anyone have any idea why they are coming out so thick and syrupy? I don't understand the chemistry of fermentation and/or carbonation well enough, I suppose.
    • Marilyn Kefirlady
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8 8:20 AM
        Certain bacteria make a thick beverage. I don't like it so I rinse and rinse
        and rinse it away every time.

        and please sign your name. You are not on moderation so I didn't catch this
        one. Only newbies are on moderation for a while until they get used to the
        posting guidelines. Older members should know better.

        Marilyn

        On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM, newmoondawn <dawn@...>wrote:

        > After letting my water kefir grains rest for the winter (neglect,
        > basically!), and seeing that they had tripled in size, I assumed they were
        > still alive. I started making fruit-flavored beverages with them again but
        > now they are coming out extremely syrupy.I'm trying to make a fruity,
        > effervescent beverage as I have successfully done in the past. Does anyone
        > have any idea why they are coming out so thick and syrupy? I don't
        > understand the chemistry of fermentation and/or carbonation well enough, I
        > suppose.

      • havfaith56
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9 4:41 AM
          Morning all,

          My water kefir at one time was thicker. I loved it, I rinsed it off for some important reason. How it is not thicker. I miss it that was. I was wondering can water kefir be used to make kraut? I think I will try a small amount. I thought it might come out on the sweet side.

          Happy fermentations,
          Shari
        • christiansquash
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 26, 2012
            When I strained my kefir this morning, it was syrupy. Everything was the same; I use 1/2 c. white sugar and about 1/16 t. of blackstrap molasses, about 1/2 c. grains to a jar that holds about 3 qts. I think the label said it holds 89 oz. I cover it with a coffee filter and let it ferment for 2 days.
            No difference in taste, just texture. I rinsed the grains well, and started another batch. Why are they doing this? I've never had any problems before, and I've been using the grains for over a year.
            Liz
          • sthumming
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
              Liz,
              This has happened to me more than once. Marilyn suggested it sounded like cross-contamination from my milk kefir grains. After she said that, now I have a dedicated strainer only for WKG.

              Is this a possibility?

              It gets better after a cycle or two, if you are rinsing the grains.

              Stephanie

              --- In Good_Kefir_Grains@yahoogroups.com, "christiansquash" <christiansquash@...> wrote:

              > When I strained my kefir this morning, it was syrupy. Everything was the same; I use 1/2 c. white sugar and about 1/16 t. of blackstrap molasses, about 1/2 c. grains to a jar that holds about 3 qts. I think the label said it holds 89 oz. I cover it with a coffee filter and let it ferment for 2 days.
              > No difference in taste, just texture. I rinsed the grains well, and started another batch. Why are they doing this? I've never had any problems before, and I've been using the grains for over a year.
              > Liz

            • Sherre
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
                Not sure how to answer your situation; however, I NEVER rinse my water kefir grains. Perhaps that is your solution.

                Sherre Vacek

                --- In Good_Kefir_Grains@yahoogroups.com, "christiansquash" <christiansquash@...> wrote:

                > When I strained my kefir this morning, it was syrupy. Everything was the same; I use 1/2 c. white sugar and about 1/16 t. of blackstrap molasses, about 1/2 c. grains to a jar that holds about 3 qts. I think the label said it holds 89 oz. I cover it with a coffee filter and let it ferment for 2 days.
                > No difference in taste, just texture. I rinsed the grains well, and started another batch. Why are they doing this? I've never had any problems before, and I've been using the grains for over a year.
                > Liz

              • Marilyn Kefirlady
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
                  Rinse really well. And start over.

                  Marilyn

                  On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM, sthumming <smcguirk62@...> wrote:

                  > Liz,
                  > This has happened to me more than once. Marilyn suggested it sounded like
                  > cross-contamination from my milk kefir grains. After she said that, now I
                  > have a dedicated strainer only for WKG.
                  >
                  > Is this a possibility?
                  >
                  > It gets better after a cycle or two, if you are rinsing the grains.
                  >
                  > Stephanie
                  >

                  > --- In Good_Kefir_Grains@yahoogroups.com, "christiansquash"
                  > <christiansquash@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > When I strained my kefir this morning, it was syrupy. Everything was
                  > the same; I use 1/2 c. white sugar and about 1/16 t. of blackstrap
                  > molasses, about 1/2 c. grains to a jar that holds about 3 qts. I think the
                  > label said it holds 89 oz. I cover it with a coffee filter and let it
                  > ferment for 2 days.
                  > > No difference in taste, just texture. I rinsed the grains well, and
                  > started another batch. Why are they doing this? I've never had any
                  > problems before, and I've been using the grains for over a year.
                  > > Liz

                • Marilyn Kefirlady
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
                    Water grains should always be rinsed.

                    Marilyn

                    On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Sherre <sherre_vacek@...> wrote:

                    > Not sure how to answer your situation; however, I NEVER rinse my water
                    > kefir grains. Perhaps that is your solution.
                    >
                    > Sherre Vacek

                  • christiansquash
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 27, 2012
                      Thanks for all the replies. My MKGs are in the freezer until the goats freshen; I haven't made milk kefir since early November. I probably won't thaw and use them before June. I only have the 1 strainer for both, but it was washed between batches and soaked in the dishwater. Never a problem.

                      I usually don't rinse my WKG between fermentations, but of course I rinsed them thoroughly this time and will the next time, too. It looks like whatever it was attacked this 1 jar. I have 3 going.
                      Liz