thick water kefir

  • momof3under6_2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
      I have made 3 or 4 batches of water kefir. I threw out the first
      because it was so thick. The second batch I made with rapadura
      sugar, some egg shell, baking soda, raisins, half a lemon, and the
      grains. That also turned out very thick, so thick the
      bubbles/carbonation stay in the water when they rise. It's like
      drinking thick foam, and it tastes like molasses.

      The next batch I did was with a fig, some sliced ginger, no raisins,
      no lemon (noticed the lemon had slime all over it in the last batch),
      no eggshell, baking soda, white sugar, and 1 tsp molasses. That
      didn't turn out as thick, but there was still slime all over the
      fig. I drained it into a bottle and then added the juice of 1/2
      lemon. It sat overnight, and it is looking thicker than just water
      with a little sugar. Is it normal to thicken up a bit? It's not
      nearly as thick as the previous batch. The carbonation bubbles rise
      right to the top. Is it because of the lemon or the calcium that my
      kefir was thick? Is there supposed to be slime all over the fruit?
      Only a couple of my grains rose in that batch. Are they supposed to?

      I am currently on a new batch that I am doing like the last batch but
      with grated ginger. It has sat overnight, but I don't see any grains
      rising or falling at all in this batch. Is this normal? Is it
      because I am thoroughly rinsing my grains in between batches? I just
      want to make sure I am doing this right.

      Thanks,
      Lori

      Usually thoroughly rinsing the grains between batches cures the problem. But that may never fix it as long as you continue to put fruit in there. Certain fruit may be the source of the thickness. My suggestion is to put them in sugar water only for the next couple of batches or until the weed disappears. My theory is that a weed gets in there and makes the water kefir thick. I hate thick water kefir. I've noticed it happens with certain fruits, figs and apples. Others have noticed it happens with baking soda. That's why you keep that to a minimum.

      Marilyn
    • momof3under6_2000
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
        Do you think, then, that after several batches of just water and sugar
        I should make a batch with only 1 more added ingredient, i.e. baking
        soda OR ginger OR fig, and see if it becomes slimy? Would I need to
        make several batches with the 1 added ingredient before adding another
        ingredient, or would the offending party cause the thickening within 1
        batch? I was going to try to drink some of the thicker kefir, anyway,
        but I just can't stand the taste. It tastes so strong of molasses (I
        had 1 tsp. in there). When I do just sugar and water, is it ok to use
        white sugar with no molasses? Is the molasses necessary? I tried
        rapadura sugar and hated the strong molasses flavor that imparted, so I
        was hoping white sugar would be better. I had heard molasses was
        necessary if using white sugar, so I'm not sure if I'm going to like
        water kefir if that's true.

        Thank you for the help.

        Lori

        > Usually thoroughly rinsing the grains between batches cures the
        problem. But that may never fix it as long as you continue to put fruit
        in there. Certain fruit may be the source of the thickness. My
        suggestion is to put them in sugar water only for the next couple of
        batches or until the weed disappears. My theory is that a weed gets in
        there and makes the water kefir thick. I hate thick water kefir. I've
        noticed it happens with certain fruits, figs and apples. Others have
        noticed it happens with baking soda. That's why you keep that to a
        minimum.

        > Marilyn

      • Angela Estrello
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
          Lori,
          I only used molasas once and vowed to not add it again (guess I'll have to make gingerbread or something now with it). My grains have done fine in just sugar water.

          I do culture straight juice now because I'm lazy and it tastes better to me. If you have some extra grains try culturing your favorite juice (as long as it is 100% juice with no HFCS or other unnatural things...I have found Dole juices to be the best for this).

          Good luck,
          Angela
        • BJDMohr
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
            <<<I do culture straight juice now because I'm lazy and it tastes better to me.>>>

            Angela,

            Do you add anything else or JUST juice? If I remember right I think Marilyn recommended cutting it in 1/2 with water, is that right?

            Does it taste sweet or do you culture until the "sweetness" is gone?

            Thanks,
            Beth
          • Angela Estrello
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
              Beth,
              I culture straight juice. I culture it until most of
              the sweetness is gone; but, not usually for more than
              2 days (my family likes a one day ferment). My
              daughter doesn't like it if it tastes like a wine
              cooler.

              -Angela

              --- BJDMohr <jdeamohr1@...> wrote:

              > <<<I do culture straight juice now because I'm lazy
              > and it tastes better to me.>>>
              >
              > Angela,
              >
              > Do you add anything else or JUST juice? If I
              > remember right I think Marilyn recommended cutting
              > it in 1/2 with water, is that right?
              >
              > Does it taste sweet or do you culture until the
              > "sweetness" is gone?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Beth

            • BJDMohr
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
                <<<I culture straight juice. I culture it until most of
                the sweetness is gone; but, not usually for more than
                2 days (my family likes a one day ferment). My
                daughter doesn't like it if it tastes like a wine
                cooler.>>

                Thanks Angela. I may try that when I have enough to keep 2 jars going. I finally split my grains for the first time but they are going to a friend.

                Beth
              • SweetEvil Woman
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2 12:53 PM
                  Stephanie,
                  It sounds like you got cross contamination of milk kefir in your water kefir.
                  If you make both cultures, you have to be extra careful to wash and rinse
                  your utensils and hands to avoid this. Keeping each culture at separate
                  sides or even in different rooms is a good precaution too.

                  be well,
                  Rae in Idaho