Re: Getting a Gohonzon

  • David Salyers
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2003
      Hi Futurebuddha,

      There are several ways to do this depending on what you want to do.

      There is the Indy route where they get their Gohonzons from the
      Internet and print them up.

      You can check out:

      There are also other Nichiren sects to consider besides SGI. There is
      Nichiren Shoshu which is the parent sect of SGI (Soka Gakkai). There
      is Nichiren Shu which is more mainstream in theology and practice
      (SGI and Nichiren Shoshu view Nichiren as the "Buddha for the Latter
      Day of the Dharma" while Nichiren Shu views Shakyamuni, the
      historical Buddha, as the Buddha and Nichiren as a Bodhisattva).
      There are other Nichiren groups as well. It depends on what theology
      you are comfortable with. Nichiren Shu is more in line
      with "mainstream Buddhism" of the Mahayana type. SGI and Nichiren
      Shoshu typify more of a "my way only path". Others simply are
      Independent Practitioners.

      In terms of getting a Gohonzon in an "orthodox fashion". That is, of
      course, dependent upon the group in question. It is "orthodox" for an
      Indy to download, print and install a Prayer Gohonzon from the
      Internet. Most Nichiren schools would like you to get a Gohonzon from
      them once you have demonstrated sincerity of practice with that
      particular school. You do not need a Gohonzon to begin ODaimoku, but
      you need to define what theology and beliefs you are comfortable with.

      Here are some good websites to start out with:

      http://campross.crosswinds.net/
      (Nichiren's Coffeehouse - covers the spectrum and you can find a lot
      of other websites here)

      http://www.nichiren-shu.org/
      (the main Nichiren Shu website)

      http://la.nichirenshu.org/index.shtml
      (the Los Angeles Nichiren Shu site - has a lot of info)

      http://campross.crosswinds.net/Ryuei/index.html
      (a website by a Western American Nichiren Shu priest - a lot of good
      articles)

      http://www.nsa-usa.org/
      (the Nichiren Society of America - a confederation of Independent
      Practitioners)

      I would suggest that you not get into a rush to impulsively get a
      Gohonzon from the first available source. Chant Odaimoku (and gongyo
      if you feel so inclined). Research the different schools of Nichiren
      Buddhism and see what is right for you. Good luck!

      With gassho,

      Dave

      --- In GohonzonForum@yahoogroups.com, "futurebuddha2000"
      <martindavis@f...> wrote:
      > I feel a little dumb for asking this. As a new member of this forum
      > and as a fairly new Nichiren Buddhist, I am wondering....if I did
      not
      > want to join the SGI, is there another way to obtain a Gohonzon?
      >
      > As a recovering evangelical christian, I've burned out on religious
      > organizations a bit!!! However, I WILL join SGI if it is the only
      > orthodox way to obtain a Gohonzon.
      >
      > My apologies if this seems like a dumb question.
      >
      > Futurebuddha2000.
    • Kyobo Peter
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 29, 2003
        > I feel a little dumb for asking this. As a new member of this forum
        > and as a fairly new Nichiren Buddhist, I am wondering....if I did
        > not want to join the SGI, is there another way to obtain a Gohonzon?
        >
        > As a recovering evangelical christian, I've burned out on religious
        > organizations a bit!!! However, I WILL join SGI if it is the only
        > orthodox way to obtain a Gohonzon.

        Future Buddha,

        Forgive me for asking, as I am new to this list and don't know if you've had
        prior conversation about this. But why do you want to have a gohonzon?

        NMRK
        Kyobo Peter
      • Don Ross

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9 2:37 PM
            A Gohonzon is an object of Meditation . It is not
            created by anyone It is foundamental to life.It does
            not have an august attribute. So if you feel like it
            make a photocopy for a dear friend. It is an act of
            Compassion.
            Shares and Happy new year!
            Malcolm

            --- Kit Strandberg <kitty50000@...> a écrit :
            ---------------------------------
            I have a friend who once had a Gohonzon. He has
            mental problems and destroyed it when he was in a bad
            way. This happened over ten years ago. He has been
            asking me if he could get another one. I told him to
            make an alter and to chant about it. I thought about
            making a copy of one for him, but I don't feel it is
            my place to do this. How can I get him another
            gohonzon and a prayer book. I don't want to give him
            a new one with Pres Ikeda in the silent prayers as I
            do not agree with this.

            thanks
            Kitty

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Terms of Service.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2004
              31 Nichiren-inscribed Gohonzons have been digitally cleaned-
              up thus far and uploaded to the files section of
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GohonzonInfo/

              Additional Nichiren-inscribed Gohonzons will be uploaded, as they are
              digitized and cleaned-up, on an on-going basis until all 128 extant
              Nichiren Gohonzons have been uploaded. High resolution copies will be
              made available for delivery by mail shortly.

              In the gosho Nichinyo Gozen Gohenji, Nichiren said, "Never seek this
              Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal
              flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam
              [u]-myoho-renge-kyo . . . The most important thing is to chant only
              Nam[u]-myoho-renge-kyo and attain enlightenment. All depends on the
              strength of your faith. To have faith is the basis of Buddhism . . .
              The Gohonzon is found in faith alone."

              In order to access the files, you must join the group. All
              applications are subject to approval, but will not be rejected
              without good reason.

              -- In GohonzonForum@yahoogroups.com, "Kit Strandberg"
              <kitty50000@m...> wrote:
              > I have a friend who once had a Gohonzon. He has mental problems
              and destroyed it when he was in a bad way. This happened over ten
              years ago. He has been asking me if he could get another one. I
              told him to make an alter and to chant about it. I thought about
              making a copy of one for him, but I don't feel it is my place to do
              this. How can I get him another gohonzon and a prayer book. I don't
              want to give him a new one with Pres Ikeda in the silent prayers as I
              do not agree with this.

              > thanks
              > Kitty

            • sriwato chang
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2004
                may know for details about you, kitty???