Charlottesville Va : Goats of Christmas yet to come

  • imp s
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2011
      Once again, Charlottesville is on the cusp of a trend involving backyard livestock. Check out how two local residents are quoted in this story... ( http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/story/2011-12-01/Beyond-chickens-and-bees-Urban-farmers-try-goats/51544836/1 ) -
      ...about the latest animal to invade city lots nationwide. Goats, people! Where are your goats?

      As Covert and other sources make clear, those spirited ruminants offer a lot to the potential goatkeeper: milk (if they're dairy goats), fertilization, companionship and--if applied correctly--top-notch landscaping.

      As the onetime host of 10 goats (they were on loan to us for a month or so from these guys - http://www.vagoatbusters.com/ ..), I can certainly testify to the amazing things they can accomplish just by eating. I've never gotten into the dairy scene, because I like leaving town too much to commit to twice-daily milking. But boy, can those animals take down some brush. They'll eat stuff that I wouldn't grab with leather gloves on, and turn it into fertilizer while they're at it.

      All this to say: We are indeed hoping to acquire a small herd of goats in the spring. We have a spot picked out for them--a section of impenetrable woods that we'd like to open up without the use of gas-powered machines. We'll invest in some fencing, which can run off the same solar-powered battery that already electrifies our chicken fence.

      This won't exactly put us inside the trend; we're not urban, and our goats won't be mini. But hey, we do what we can.

      Anyone else itching to get goats?
      Filed under: Lawn and Land

      http://www.c-ville.com/Blog/Green_Scene/Marching_onward_to_goats/?act=post