Willie Nelson fights horse slaughter

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2006
      Willie Nelson fights horse slaughter

      By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer
      Tuesday, August 22, 2006

      WASHINGTON - Texan Willie Nelson is raising his voice in defense of a
      symbol of the West — wild horses. Country singer Nelson is the latest
      to join an effort to ban the slaughter of horses in the U.S. for
      consumption of their meat abroad. The U.S. House is scheduled to vote
      Sept. 7 on a bill aimed at ending horse slaughter.

      "If you've ever been around horses a lot, especially wild horses, you
      know they are part of the American heritage. I don't think its right
      that we kill them and eat them," Nelson said in a telephone interview
      Tuesday.

      In a news release issued this week, Nelson touts a Sept. 5 Washington
      rally in support of the bill sponsored by Rep. John Sweeney, R-N.Y.
      Nelson said he won't be at the rally, but his daughter Amy will,
      along with other celebrities, including former "10" star Bo Derek and
      Jennifer Pryor, wife of the late comedian Richard Pryor.

      Nelson said he learned about the issue through country music producer
      Eddie Kilroy's show on satellite radio, Hank's Place, which has
      become Willie's Place.

      "When it was Hank's Place, Eddie Kilroy was talking about the issue.
      He was talking about horse slaughter one day and he called me and
      talked about what a horrible practice that is. One thing led to
      another," Nelson said.

      Nelson said he has owned several horses and has several buried on his
      ranches. "I do have a lot of respect for my horses, a lot. I don't
      ride them as much as I used to and I think they appreciate it," he
      joked.

      Nelson recorded the songs "On the Road Again" and "Mama Don't Let
      Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys."

      The House bill is HR 503.

      ___

      On the Net: