Bekky has returned

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      the old mother deer with the broken nose, who i call Bekky, has come
      back again after several weeks absence and is now nesting in her
      birth spot under the bedroom window.
      i think she has a fawn nearby, last 2 fawns she would leave in that
      spot. so perhaps i will see another soon.

      it is sad now because she is getting frail, her fur is
      getting "threadbare" and has a transparent look, and the sun
      yesterday seemed to shine right through it..
      she is getting slow now and limps a bit...
      how long will she last when the house is torn down and her hiding
      place is scraped away under a bulldozer?
      she was born in that spot and has returned every year to birth her
      own children.

      in the end it is not myself i weep for, but these innocent creatures
      who came to trust in this sanctuary.
      they will not survive the fall of Holly Hill.

      it was a blessing and a holy gift to have this refuge and these
      creatures given into my care for so long.
      i will never see another place or time to compare to what has grown
      here over the years.

      so begins my last summer at Holly Hill.