Okla goats involved in snowstorm wreck

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2004
      In Lawton, Okla., a tractor-trailer hauling goats overturned on an
      interstate bridge, state police reported. Many of the animals were
      trapped in the trailer and died; some escaped and a couple apparently
      jumped off the 40-foot bridge and survived.

      as found at

      One Day In, Winter Packs Wallop in Midwest

      By CATHY BURKE, Associated Press Writer
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20041223/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm

      A winter storm battered states from the Plains through the Midwest on
      Wednesday, sending travelers slipping and sliding over icy roads,
      dumping a foot of snow over some areas and pushing temperatures to
      bitter-cold levels.

      "There's snow on the highway and people are sliding off the highways,
      rolling over, and 18-wheelers are jackknifing," said a Texas
      Department of Public Safety operator in Abilene who counted 17
      accidents by 8 a.m. in an eight-county area in West Texas. "People
      don't know to stay home."

      Snow — or an icy mix of snow and sleet — fell from New Mexico, where
      some schools were closed, to the lower Great Lakes. The storm marked
      the leading edge of bitterly cold air flowing southward.

      Highs only in the teens were forecast Wednesday in the northern Texas
      Panhandle, where wind chills Thursday could be as low as 15 below
      zero, the National Weather Service (news - web sites) said.

      At the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, several flights were canceled and
      others were delayed up to two hours on average as workers deiced
      about 200 planes an hour, airport spokesman Ken Capps said. In Ohio,
      airport delays were blamed mostly on planes arriving from other storm-
      battered locations.

      Forecasters predicted 10 inches of snow or more in areas of western
      Ohio, including as much as 20 inches in Cincinnati and Dayton.

      There were at least six weather-related traffic deaths: three in Ohio
      and one each in New Mexico, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Nine people were
      hurt, none seriously, in a series of accidents on a snowy interstate
      in Wyoming just north of the Colorado state line. In Tennessee, a
      hiker who collapsed along the snow-covered Appalachian Trail was
      rescued; he'd called for help from his cell phone Tuesday.

      The bad weather prompted some to step up travel plans to avoid worse
      problems closer to Christmas. "I'm leaving a day earlier than I
      planned, and I'm afraid I still may not make it," said Greyhound bus
      traveler Susie Brown, 32, of Cincinnati.

      In Louisville, Ky., ditches were littered with vehicles that slid off
      icy roads.

      "Right now we have ice on the bottom and snow on the top," said Linda
      Utley, an employee at a truck stop along the Pennyrile Parkway in
      western Kentucky.

      The precipitation started as rain through Kentucky then turned to
      snow as temperatures dropped; the heaviest snowfall was expected in
      western and north-central Kentucky, where accumulations could reach a
      foot after another round of snow Thursday night, forecasters said.

      An inch of ice was forecast to blanket western Kentucky. "We're
      looking for a terrible ice storm overnight," said Robin Smith, a
      meteorologist in Paducah, Ky.

      Parts of Arkansas looked forward to only the ninth white Christmas in
      120 years as the storm barreled across the state, closing businesses,
      shuttering restaurants and snarling traffic.

      An interstate in eastern Oklahoma near Checotah was closed for about
      an hour Wednesday after ice formed on a hill and vehicles couldn't
      negotiate the stretch of road, which links Oklahoma to Arkansas.

      In Lawton, Okla., a tractor-trailer hauling goats overturned on an
      interstate bridge, state police reported. Many of the animals were
      trapped in the trailer and died; some escaped and a couple apparently
      jumped off the 40-foot bridge and survived.

      More than 10 inches of snow in parts of Indiana snarled travel there;
      more was expected along with cold temperatures.

      Portions of Missouri dug out Wednesday from one snow storm — and
      readied for the next.

      "The first full day of winter was a doozy, and it's not done yet,"
      said Dan Spaeth, another meteorologist in Paducah, Ky. "We're looking
      at potentially another half foot of snow this evening in pretty much
      all of southeast Missouri. We're gonna have a white Christmas — if we
      can move."

      Where it wasn't snowing or sleeting, it was just plain cold.

      In International Falls, Minn., the temperature dropped steadily from
      about zero to 26 below. In Havre, Mont., the wind chill reading was
      13 below not long after the lunch hour.

      The forecast high for Denver on Thursday was just 6 degrees; the
      usual is 43.

      Ralph Kwiatkoski woke up to temperatures of minus-5 in the mountain
      town of Gunnison, Colo.

      "The sun's out. It's quite nice," he said. "For people who live here,
      we like it. We don't get hail, tornadoes, floods. We've got it good."