Oregon: Goat Granny deals death to marauding dogs

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2004
      MOLALLA -- A Molalla woman who shot two dogs for attacking her
      livestock is seeking compensation for a potentially prize-winning
      dairy goat that was killed.

      A Clackamas County hearings officer is scheduled to conduct a hearing
      this month to decide whether the dogs' owner should be held
      responsible and whether he should compensate Marilyn Goodridge. The
      hearing date had not been set.

      Two other goats were injured in the attack just outside Molalla city
      limits. State law says anyone can immediately kill a dog that injures
      or maims livestock if the dog is off its owner's property.

      Kerry Baillie, who owned the dogs, Max and Lakota, said he
      understands why the law is needed to protect livestock.

      But he said he's angry that his dogs were shot and can't imagine them
      attacking the goats. The dogs dug under the fence around his yard and
      escaped while he was at work, he said.

      Dog attacks on chickens, sheep, goats, horses, cows and other farm
      animals are fairly common in Clackamas County, said Diana Hallmark,
      dog control manager. In 2003, the agency received 44 calls for
      assistance involving dogs and livestock.

      "There's an enormous amount of area in the county that is rural and
      is livestock oriented," Hallmark said.

      Most complaints to the county are about dogs killing chickens and
      sheep. Horses and other large animals are more likely to be chased
      than killed, Hallmark said.

      Any time farm animals are killed, the case goes before a county
      hearings officer for review.

      Woman says dogs ran at her

      The Molalla attack was close to town. The dogs lived within city
      limits and roamed to the farm several blocks away.

      While many livestock owners will fire at a stray dog, not many hit
      their targets, Hallmark said.

      "Not everybody's as good a shot as Mrs. Goodridge," she said.

      Goodridge, 58, was on her way to the barn for afternoon chores on May
      10 when she heard the dogs barking.

      Inside the barn, she found one goat missing from its pen and two more
      wounded and bloody. She slipped through a small door used by the
      goats to go from their pen to a fenced pasture. She said she saw the
      dogs -- Lakota the husky and Max the Labrador retriever -- chewing on
      the missing goat in the pasture.

      The dogs ran at her, and she backed away to return to the house, call
      police and summon the veterinarian, she said.

      Goodridge came back out with a .22-caliber revolver. She said when
      the dogs ran at her a second time, she shot both between the eyes.

      "I'm sorry for the pet owners," Goodridge said. "I don't know what
      anybody else would have done in my situation. I know what I did."

      Goat worth at least $1,800

      Goodridge found Autumn, her most prized goat, dead in the pasture.

      The Toggenburg goat had been appraised at $1,800 to $5,000 by a
      certified American Dairy Goat Association judge and was expected to
      be a national prize-winning animal, Goodridge said.

      The product of careful breeding, the fawn-colored goat had just begun
      producing its first milk and was too young to have established a show
      career. The goat's mother had been ranked among the top in the nation
      for milk production.

      Treatment for a second goat has cost more than $1,000, Goodridge
      said. The goat won't be able to produce milk because of its injuries,
      she said. A third goat's injuries were less serious.

      Baillie said he learned of the attack from county dog control
      officials. He said the dogs spent time with his young nephews, who
      were at his house regularly.

      "My whole thing is I just can't see those dogs doing that," Baillie
      said.

      Sarah Hunsberger: 503-294-5922 shunsberger @ news.oregonian.com

      When dogs attack
      Monday, June 07, 2004
      SARAH HUNSBERGER

      http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/metro_south_news/1086
      60950876490.xml?oregonian?sn

      yup, that be a redneck... caint see a dam thing.