Tanzanian goats race for survival?

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      as an ironic post-script to the ghoulish gossip of the Halloween
      holiday, ponder this macabre story from the Y Odd News roundup...
      i'll leave it to you to decide how "charitable" you want to be in
      judging this culture, starving and bored and destitute as they
      obviously are...

      DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) - Hundreds of Tanzanians have flocked to the
      country's annual goat races, a charity event pitting 60 of the beasts
      in a series of heats before they are slaughtered.

      Most of the goats end up in the abattoir after the competition to
      raise money for water and farming projects, but winners get the
      chance to decide their goat's fate.

      "I am incredibly happy because my goat won the race," owner Joerg
      Sonne said after the second race in the national stadium in the
      commercial capital Dar-es-Salaam. "We will try to enter this one on
      another race, or take it home."

      Roasted goat meat is a popular food in Tanzania, where many people
      scratch a living as peasant farmers in one of the world's poorest
      countries.

      Oddly Enough - UK Reuters

      Tanzanian goats race for survival
      Sat Nov 1