getting the NRA's goat

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2003
      LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Most blacklists are designed to intimidate.
      But thousands of Americans are clamoring to join one drawn up by the
      National Rifle Association (NRA).

      Actor Dustin Hoffman was so dismayed to find his name missing from
      the NRA's shadowy 19-page list of U.S. companies, celebrities, and
      news organizations seen as lending support to anti-gun policies that
      he wrote to the powerful pro-gun lobby group begging to be included.

      "As a supporter of comprehensive gun safety measures, I was deeply
      disappointed when I discovered my name was not on the list," Hoffman
      wrote in a letter to the NRA that was released Tuesday.

      "I was particularly surprised by the omission given my opposition to
      the loophole that makes it legal for 18- to 20-year-olds to buy
      handguns at gun shows," he added.

      Hoffman's name has now been added to the list which reads like a
      Who's Who of American business, culture and religion and which ranges
      from the American Jewish Congress to A&M Records, ABC News and talk
      show queen Oprah Winfrey.

      An NRA spokesman could not be reached for comment.

      The list was found deep in the official NRA Web site by a group of
      grass-roots anti-gun campaigners and publicized by them two weeks ago
      to garner support for two pieces of gun control legislation going
      through Congress.

      The campaigners set up their own Web site
      (http://www.NRAblacklist.com) and urged Americans to voluntarily put
      their names there. A full-page ad Tuesday in Daily Variety -- the
      Hollywood trade magazine -- urged movie and music artists to sign up.

      "What the site tries to do is turn it into a badge of honor to get on
      the blacklist by saying 'Hey Julia Roberts is on the blacklist. Why
      don't you join it?.' It's been incredibly successful. Since we have
      launched, 25,000 people have signed on to ask to be put on the
      blacklist," said Wendy Katz, spokesperson for the group.

      The NRA initially denied compiling a blacklist as such, saying it was
      merely responding to members wanting to know which individuals and
      corporations opposed the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment on the
      right to bear arms.

      But National Rifle Association Executive Vice-President Wayne
      LaPierre said of the list last week; "Our members don't want to buy
      their songs, don't want to go to their movies, don't want to support
      their careers."

      Katz said the campaigners hoped to expose the NRA's influence in
      Washington, D.C., spur opposition to a bill that would grant immunity
      in civil cases for gun manufacturers and dealers, and gather support
      for renewal of a 1994 ban on the sale of military assault weapons.

      Americans Flock to Get on NRA Blacklist
      Wed Oct 29
      Oddly Enough - Reuters