LETTER: Protest animal sacrifices in Nepal

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2002
      Alert and letter by Maria Lopes marialopes@... (2kat.net)
      Edited by Barbara Biel bibiel@... (yahoo.com)
      Provided by Avantika Regmi
      http://www.geocities.com/stopsacrifice/intro/intro.html

      BACKGROUND
      Till the later part of the twentieth century, Nepal was an isolated remote
      country, due to the rugged terrain and the way Nepal had been ruled. From
      1846 to 1950 Nepal was under the autocratic rule of the Rana prime
      ministers and from 1950 to 1989 under the Shah kings except for some brief
      periods of democracy in between. It suited the autocratic rulers of Nepal
      to keep the country isolated and remote in order to perpetuate their own
      rule.

      Nepal's isolation has resulted in poverty- stricken, illiterate and
      superstitious Nepalese who believe that the king is a reincarnation of
      God, prepubescent girls are goddess and animal sacrifices will bring good
      fortune. Even the Nepalese king believes in the superstition of animal
      sacrifices and regularly gets innocent animals butchered.

      The superstition of animal sacrifice is so deep-rooted in Nepal that many
      temples across the country are resembling more and more like abattoirs
      rather that temples. Hordes of Nepalese make a beeline to these 'abattoir
      temples' to celebrate every major festival. In some, like the Dakshinkali
      temple butchering animals is a weekly affair. Both the educated and the
      illiterate, the rich and the poor, live up equally enthusiastically to get
      some confused lamb or goat killed every thursday morning.

      During the major Hindu festival, Dushera, which lasts for ten days
      something totally unexpected happens. One hundred and four he-buffalo
      calves and one hundred and four hundred he-goats are sacrificed in the
      capital's Hanuman Dhoka Palace on the night of the eighth day and the
      morning of the ninth day on Nepalese government expense! This is perhaps
      no other government in the world today which finances animal sacrifices.
      But this hardly surprising since this is a country without any animal
      rights laws.

      The Gadimai Mela takes place every five years in the Bara district of Bara
      district of Nepal during the months of November-December. This fair
      climaxes on a horrendous note, when more than seven thousand buffaloes are
      sacrificed in less than an hour. Groups of sword wielding men, licensed to
      kill butcher all the animals. In the end, the entire field becomes soggy
      with the blood of the innocent animals, alive a couple of minutes ago.
      with each passing year the number of animals being sacrificed is
      increasing and the next fair is scheduled in the month of
      November-December, 2003.

      SEND TO:

      *** Non-USA residents send to Nepal Embassy in your country ***

      EMBASSY USA

      Ambassador: H.E. Jaya Pratap Rana
      2131 Leroy Place, NW, Washington D.C. 20008
      Washington
      Fax 202-6675534
      Email ali@... (erols.com)

      NEPAL TOURISM BOARD
      Tourist Service Center, Bhrikuti Mandap,
      Kathmandu, Nepal
      fax: 977-1-256910
      Email: info@... (ntb.wlink.com.np)

      SAMPLE LETTER
      *** Don't forget to sign and include your city/state/country ***

      ali@...

      info@...

      Please stop barbaric animal sacrifices in your country

      Dear Ambassador H.E. Jaya Pratap Rana,

      I am appalled to learn that there are no animal protection laws in Nepal
      and defenseless animals are being sacrificed by the thousands everyday,
      mostly by beheading or slowly bleeding them to death. Such barbarism
      cannot be tolerated by civilized world. I urge Nepal to enact laws to stop
      any further torture of innocent creatures.

      I understand that the Gadimai Mela in the Bara district slaughters fifty
      thousand animals in the name of religion. I request you to let your
      government know that I am very distressed to learn about this mass
      sacrifices which will again occur next year and would like nothing better
      than to have such incidents from happening at that fair.

      I will boycott Nepal's goods and tourism and will advise all my friends
      and family members to do the same until Nepal ends this barbarism.

      Sincerely,

      Cc:
      Tourist Service Center, Bhrikuti Mandap

      Colleen Klaum