Goat gores keeper at San Diego Wild Animal Park

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2002
      Goat gores keeper at San Diego Wild Animal Park
      Published 3:20 p.m. PDT Thursday, September 5, 2002ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) - A rare goat gored a keeper Thursday at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, causing a puncture wound that required surgery.

      The 200-pound goat, a west Caucasian tur, bumped the woman with its horns as she cleaned its pen out of sight of park visitors, said Paul Garcia, a spokesman for the Zoological Society of San Diego, which operates the animal preserve.

      The 53-year-old keeper, whose name was not released, was listed in fair condition at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido with a wound under her ribs.

      It was not immediately clear what caused the tur to bump into the woman with its long, curved horn. There was no indication the animal was startled or agitated at the time, Garcia said.

      "She was just cleaning up and the goat was able to get alongside her," Garcia said. "It's very rare that things like this happen here."

      The zookeeper was able to free herself; other park employees shooed the animal away, he said.

      The endangered tur is native to the mountains of the western Caucasus.

      The Wild Animal Park, which is affiliated with The San Diego Zoo, is a 1,800-acre wildlife preserve near Escondido, about 30 miles north of San Diego.

      Colleen Klaum