255Nigerian Goat Detained On Suspicion Of Armed Robbery

  • Imp Ster
    Jan 24, 2009
      Goat detained over armed robbery

      LAGOS (Reuters) – Police in Nigeria are holding a goat on suspicion
      of attempted armed robbery.

      Vigilantes took the black and white beast to the police saying it was
      an armed robber who had used black magic to transform himself into a
      goat to escape arrest after trying to steal a Mazda 323.

      "The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on
      patrol they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car. They pursued
      them. However one of them escaped while the other turned into a
      goat," Kwara state police spokesman Tunde Mohammed told Reuters by

      "We cannot confirm the story, but the goat is in our custody. We
      cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something
      that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into
      a goat," he said.

      Belief in witchcraft is widespread in parts of Nigeria, Africa's most
      populous nation. Residents came to the police station to see the
      goat, photographed in one national newspaper on its knees next to a
      pile of straw.

      see also -

      Newspaper claims suspect transformed into a goat

      LAGOS, Nigeria – One of Nigeria's biggest daily newspapers reported
      that police implicated a goat in an attempted automobile theft. In a
      front-page article on Friday, the Vanguard newspaper said that two
      men tried to steal a Mazda car two days earlier in Kwara State, with
      one suspect transforming himself into a goat as vigilantes cornered

      The paper quoted police spokesman Tunde Mohammed as saying that while
      one suspect escaped, the other transformed into a goat as he was
      about to be apprehended.

      The newspaper reported that police paraded the goat before
      journalists, and published a picture of the animal.

      Police in the state couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

      Belief in black magic is widespread in Nigeria, particularly in far-
      flung rural areas.