Re: Symantec Security Response "Major Virus Alert"

  • Arnett Carroll
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2003
      I haven't used a virus program in years and won't. They can't keep
      up
      with all the new viruses and variants going around. I do pay to use
      netaddress.com email at usa.net. THEY catch all the email viruses
      for
      me. I don't use Outlook or Office. They are primary targets of
      viruses and worms. I use Eudora for email and the free OpenOffice
      software suite. No viruses there. I use Windows 2000 but keep
      Internet Information Services disabled or uninstalled. Can't remember
      which. Finally,I recommend getting a free copy of Spybot - Search
      and
      Destroy. It will find and destroy any spy or snoopware on your
      computer every time you boot.

      --- In GoRaiders@yahoogroups.com, "wonderfulkat aka F.Dellomes"
      <wonderfulkat@y...> wrote:

      > From: wonderfulkat™

      > Owner/Moderator Yahoo groups

      > Click:

      > W32.Sobig.F@mm

      > Discovered on: August 18, 2003

      > Last Updated on: August 23, 2003 04:12:41 AM

      > Due to the number of submissions received from customers, Symantec
      Security Response has upgraded this threat to a Category 4 from a
      Category 3 threat as of August 21, 2003.

      > VIRUS ALERT!

      > •W32.Blaster.Worm is a worm that will exploit the DCOM RPC
      vulnerability using TCP port 135. It will attempt to download and run
      a file, msblast.exe. Download the W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool from
      Symantec Security Response.

      > •W32.Welchia.Worm exploits multiple vulnerabilities, attempts
      download the DCOM RPC patch from Microsoft's Windows Update Web site,
      installs it, and then reboots the computer. Download the
      W32.Welchia.Worm Removal Tool from Symantec Security Response.

      > •W32.Sobig.F@mm is a mass-mailing, network-aware worm that
      sends
      itself to all the email addresses it finds on an infected machine.
      Download the W32.Sobig.F@mm Removal Tool from Symantec Security
      Response.

      > wonderfulkat™

      > I have killed over 50 viruses this week.I'm protected by Norton
      System Works/AntiVirus/Personal Firewall/Internet Security/Mac OSX G4/