Raiders Cut Jeff George....

  • pikamom7
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
      ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Jeff George's attempted comeback into the NFL is
      over for now. George, who has not played in an NFL game since 2001,
      was among 20 players who were released or placed on injured reserve by
      the Oakland Raiders on Saturday.

      The No. 1 overall pick by Indianapolis in 1990, George signed with the
      Raiders last week and was with the team in Seattle for Oakland's final
      preseason game but did not play.

      "Jeff knew that we wanted to bring him in and take a look at him for a
      week," Raiders coach Art Shell said. "As I said when we first brought
      Jeff in here, it was a precaution."

      George hasn't played since 2001, when he was cut after two games with
      the Redskins. He was signed by Seattle as insurance midway through the
      2002 season, but didn't play. Chicago signed him late in the 2004
      season, but he never played for the Bears, either.

      But the release of George might not necessarily end his comeback
      attempt and, in fact, may have simply been a procedural move by the
      Raiders, aimed at not having to guarantee his full salary.

      Because George is a "vested" veteran, with more than four seasons in
      the league, the collective bargaining agreement stipulates that his
      entire base salary is guaranteed if he is on the opening day roster.
      By cutting him now, the Raiders avoid that guarantee of $810,000 and
      can re-sign George after the opening game. If that happened, and he
      were released for a second time, Oakland would owe George just the
      prorated share of his base salary, not the full $810,000.

      Oakland signed George on Aug. 28 because of concern over the health of
      backup quarterback Andrew Walter, who has been nursing a sore right
      shoulder. But Walter, a third-round pick in 2005, played in the
      preseason finale against the Seahawks and showed no lingering effects
      of the injury, persuading the Raiders to part ways with George.

      "Having Andrew like he was, we weren't sure so we wanted to make sure
      we took a look at a veteran quarterback we liked for our football
      team," Shell said. "He'll be on speed dial."

      Earlier in the day, the Raiders traded starting wide receiver Doug
      Gabriel to New England for an undisclosed draft pick. Gabriel, a
      fifth-round pick in 2003, caught 37 passes for 554 yards and three
      touchdowns last season. He had just four receptions for 51 yards and a
      touchdown this preseason.

      Oakland also cut veteran cornerback Duane Starks, linebackers Danny
      Clark, Ryan Riddle and Ricky Brown, defensive end Bryant McNeal,
      running back Rod Smart, fullback Zach Tuiasosopo, wide receivers Will
      Buchanon and Kevin McMahan, center Chris Morris, guard Kelvin Garmon,
      tackles Jabari Levey and William Obeng, defensive tackles Donnell
      Washington and Rashad Moore.

      In addition, the Raiders placed tight end O.J. Santiago, wide receiver
      Carlos Francis, linebacker Darnell Bing and safety Alvin Nnabuife on
      injured reserve.

      While the decision to part ways with George was somewhat expected,
      Oakland's move to release Clark and trade Gabriel sent mild shockwaves
      through the Raiders' locker room. Gabriel was expected to start this
      season opposite Randy Moss while Clark started 31 games for Oakland
      over the last two seasons and was defensive captain in 2005.

      "That one was hard on me, that one was the hardest," Shell said of
      releasing Clark. "He gave us everything he had, worked hard. Not to
      say the rest of them didn't, but this kid was demoted to the second
      team and he worked his tail off and never said a word, just kept
      working. Hopefully he'll catch on with somebody."

      In another note, center Jake Grove returned to practice Saturday after
      sitting out the final two preseason games with a shoulder injury.
      Shell said he wasn't certain whether Grove would play Monday night
      against San Diego in the season opener.
    • Antoinette Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
        AIGHT!!!!
        THEN IT'S ALL GOOD.

> [...]
        >Jeff George
        >Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 02:50:23 -0000
        >
        >They cut him already...... Didn't even last a week.....
        >

        >--- In GoRaiders@yahoogroups.com, "Antoinette Gonzalez"
        ><RaiderzJustDoIt_80> wrote:
        > >
        > > EH LUIS,
        > > IT'S OK!!!!! WE GONNA DO JUST FINE DON'T WORRY, YAAAAA BAD CALL
        >THERE, BUT
        > > LOOK AT IT THIS WAY.................UMMMMMMMM WE DOIN IT AIGHT, JUST
        >DO WHAT
        > > WE DO BEST..........BELIEVE CAUSE WE GONNA HANDLE JEFF GEORGE AND
        >HIS DUMB
        > > ASS, DON'T WORRY, JUST REMEMBER THIS..................WIN, LOSE AND
        >OR TIE,
        > > WE ALL RAIDERZ TILL WE F*@$IN DIE...............HOPE AND NUTTIN BUT
        >LOVE TO
        > > DA TEAM LUIS.
        > >

        > > >From: Luis Lipps <raiderlipps24@...>
        > > >To: GoRaiders@yahoogroups.com
        > > >Subject: Re: [GoRaiders-BAM! Right in the eye!] Raiders Sign
        >Quarterback
        > > >Jeff George
        > > >Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
        > > >
        > > >Now, I would love a response to my question, IS THIS REALLY A GOOD
        >IDEA???
        > > >WTF is going on now. We look so good in the preseason, finally
        >looks like
        > > >we're going to have a winning season, and then we go out & pick up
        >Jeff
        > > >George?? Why, did Plunkett not feel like playing, or was
        >Marinovich not
        > > >able to take Sundays off from McDonalds??? I hope to God that this
        >is some
        > > >kind of joke.
        > > >
        > > >"wonderfulkat" <wonderfulkat> wrote: Raiders sign Jeff
        >George
        > > >San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
        > > >ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract
        > > >Monday, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five
        > > >seasons. ...
        > > >

        > > > Raiders Sign Quarterback Jeff George
        > > >Forbes - USA
        > > >The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract Monday,
        >bringing back
        > > >a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons. George, the
        >No. ...
        > > >
        > > > Raiders cut six in first roster moves of training camp
        > > >San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
        > > >ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders cut six players Monday to reduce
        > > >their roster to 84 players, the first moves they've made since opening
        > > >training camp. ...
        > > >

        > > >Collins could be signed before preseason finale
        > > >FOXSports.com - USA
        > > >... The 33-year-old Collins played the last two seasons with the
        >Oakland
        > > >Raiders, but remains unsigned and has made it clear he wants an
        >opportunity
        > > >for playing ...
        > > >

        > > >---------------------------------
        > > > Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com

      • Katelyn Rosa
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
          No shit....What are they smokin' in Oakland, now this a.m. I read about trades of Doug Gabriel and Bobby Hamilton. Why?

          Luis Lipps <raiderlipps24@...> wrote:
          Now, I would love a response to my question, IS THIS REALLY A GOOD IDEA???  WTF is going on now.  We look so good in the preseason, finally looks like we're going to have a winning season, and then we go out & pick up Jeff George??  Why, did Plunkett not feel like playing, or was Marinovich not able to take Sundays off from McDonalds???  I hope to God that this is some kind of joke.

          "wonderfulkat" <wonderfulkat wrote:
          Raiders sign Jeff George
          San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
          ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract Monday, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons. ...

          Raiders Sign Quarterback Jeff George
          Forbes - USA
          The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract Monday, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons. George, the No. ...
          Raiders cut six in first roster moves of training camp
          San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
          ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders cut six players Monday to reduce their roster to 84 players, the first moves they've made since opening training camp. ...

          Collins could be signed before preseason finale
          FOXSports.com - USA
          ... The 33-year-old Collins played the last two seasons with the Oakland Raiders, but remains unsigned and has made it clear he wants an opportunity for playing ...

          Lipps

          2006-2007 Oakland Raiders

          DO YOU BLEED SILVER and BLACK?

          Want a home where you feel the Silver and Black?

        • Kris Reuter

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
              Done said that at the beginning that WTF they thinkin in Oakland???? Jeff
              George, come on now, never did a dam thang when we had him a millions yrs
              ago............Let's wake up amd smell da jave already....SOB
              Already.............That's why his old ass is
              gooooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee.

              >From: Katelyn Rosa <katelynn8018>
              >To: GoRaiders@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [GoRaiders-BAM! Right in the eye!] Raiders Sign Quarterback
              >Jeff George
              >Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:51:44 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              >No shit....What are they smokin' in Oakland, now this a.m. I read about
              >trades of Doug Gabriel and Bobby Hamilton. Why?
              >
              >Luis Lipps <raiderlipps24@...> wrote: Now, I would love a
              >response to my question, IS THIS REALLY A GOOD IDEA??? WTF is going on
              >now. We look so good in the preseason, finally looks like we're going to
              >have a winning season, and then we go out & pick up Jeff George?? Why, did
              >Plunkett not feel like playing, or was Marinovich not able to take Sundays
              >off from McDonalds??? I hope to God that this is some kind of joke.
              >
              >"wonderfulkat" <wonderfulkat wrote: Raiders sign Jeff George
              >San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
              >ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract
              >Monday, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five
              >seasons. ...
              >

              > Raiders Sign Quarterback Jeff George
              >Forbes - USA
              >The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract Monday, bringing back
              >a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons. George, the No. ...
              >
              > Raiders cut six in first roster moves of training camp
              >San Jose Mercury News - CA, USA
              >ALAMEDA, Calif. - The Oakland Raiders cut six players Monday to reduce
              >their roster to 84 players, the first moves they've made since opening
              >training camp. ...
              >

              >Collins could be signed before preseason finale
              >FOXSports.com - USA
              >... The 33-year-old Collins played the last two seasons with the Oakland
              >Raiders, but remains unsigned and has made it clear he wants an opportunity
              >for playing ...
              >

              >---------------------------------
              >

              > Lipps
              >

              > 2006-2007 Oakland Raiders DO YOU BLEED SILVER and BLACK?
              > Want a home where you feel the Silver and Black? BLEED SILVER and
              >BLACK
              >---------------------------------
              >

              >---------------------------------
              >Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates
              >starting at 1�/min.

              Windows Live Spaces is here! It�s easy to create your own personal Web site.
              http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx
            • Rodney Taylor
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
                The power rankings had us behind the Saints (they are going to take
                a 0-fer in their division),Bills (when you take Mc Gahee away;
                J.P.Losman can't beat you..),Browns (they will be alright on defense
                but the division is going to kill them) and everyone fashionable
                pick: the Cardinals...( Can you say jailbreak behind that offensive
                line?) I hope this guy is hungry because he is going to have a lot
                to eat....We should finish just behind Denver in the division...8 in
                the box against San Diego and Kansas City to force them to
                pass...Larry Johnson will have a good season but he will not have a
                season like last year. Expect us to split in the division, beat
                Cleveland, SF, Arizona, Houston and the Jets. And win 2 out of 3
                against the Rams(home),Ravens or Steelers.