Re: [GoRaiders-BAM! Right in the eye!] Raiders looking to fix mistakes against Parcells' new-look club

  • Merlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2004

      Thanks for the update Wonerfulkat...
      I really wonder what a clean up entails...

      Saturday, August 21, 2004

      By MIKE ALDAX
      Register Sports Writer

      Many of the Oakland Raiders' more apparent problems from
      last week's 33-30 exhibition win over San Francisco can be
      remedied with a broom, it seems.

      After all, penalties and silly mistakes are the kind of muck that
      shouldn't be hard to sweep clean.

      That's why head coach Norv Turner is taking tonight's exhibition
      matchup with Dallas as an opportunity for the Raiders to fix what
      should be fixable.

      "Between Week 1 and Week 2 you have a chance to clean up a
      lot of things," Turner said. "And obviously we have issues to clean
      up. We have to eliminate the penalties, we have to tackle better.
      And again offensively to me, taking care of ourselves is more
      important."

      The Raiders used four field goals from Sebastian Janikowski to
      beat the Niners last Saturday, including a 40-yarder to win the
      game as time expired.

      But the stellar kicking performance didn't do much to mask the
      blatant miscues that marred their first outing.

      In fact, the mistakes were alarmingly reminiscent of Oakland's
      4-12 campaign last year.

      The Raiders were tagged with a mind-boggling 21 penalties for
      246 yards in San Francisco. Oakland was called for pass
      interference five times.

      Of course, Oakland is facing a Cowboys crew that wasn't much
      prettier in its 18-0 loss to Houston. Dallas couldn't rediscover the
      same defense that was tops in the NFL last year.

      Houston scored on its first three possessions against the Cowboys'
      starters. The Texans' David Carr calmly connected on 7-of-8
      passes for 89 yards and a touchdown in leading Houston to the
      win.

      "I've heard the comments (the Cowboys) have made. They want
      to come out and play better so they're going to be ready to go,"
      Turner said.

      Turner said facing the Cowboys is going to be a good learning
      experience for his team.

      "I'm glad we're playing Dallas because they present some problems,"
      Turner said. "They were one of the better defenses last year, so
      obviously it will be a challenge for our offensive group."

      The Raiders actually found success on offense last week. Oakland
      picked up 348 yards passing and 103 rushing against the Niners.

      The success on offense was highlighted by quarterbacks Rich
      Gannon (9-for-15 for 69 yards) and his current backup, Kerry Collins
      (5-of-8 for 88 yards). The two will again bring the Raiders'
      quarterback situation to the forefront tonight in Oakland.

      Although Gannon looked on top of his game Saturday, Collins
      directed an eight-play, 80-yard scoring drive in the second
      quarter that took just over three minutes.

      The Raiders also looked strong in their running game. Tyrone
      Wheatley led the way with 33 yards on five carries.

      Still, Turner said there is room for improvement on offense. The
      Raiders didn't reach the end zone twice within 20 yards and also
      fumbled twice, although neither led to turnovers.

      "Offensively, there are some plays we missed that we need to
      make," Turner said.

      The Cowboys will bring in new faces with receiver Keyshawn
      Johnson, running back Eddie George and quarterback Vinny
      Testaverde.

      Testaverde took the starting role after the Cowboys cut Quincy
      Carter on Aug. 4. Testaverde was 4-of-7 for 34 yards against
      Texas. George ran for 12 yards on five carries before giving
      way to the backups.

      * Raiders Notebook

      Offensive lineman Robert Gallery, the Oakland Raiders' top draft
      pick who went down with a right elbow injury during practice
      Monday, will not play tonight. Gallery is expected to get back to
      practice on Monday ... Guard Ron Stone will play tonight. Turner
      said he'd get in on 12 to 14 plays.

      Your Welcome!