Happy New Year

  • Arnett Carroll
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      Happy New Year to all GoRaiders members. This season has been
      somewhat less than memorable. With any luck we can draft Eli Manning.

      Everyone be careful and have a good time. Stay out of trouble and
      enjoy the playoffs.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
        As far as I'm concerned, Callahan is only partially the blame for this
        seasons debacle. It is very difficult to coach when there is such a cancer
        on the team. Charles Woodson has caused nothing but trouble this season.
        It's one thing to run your mouth, but he ought to be ashamed to even open
        his as often as he was burned this year. Heck, he had twice the season last
        year playing hurt. I think that they ought to label him with the franchise
        tag, giving him the average pay, not the "BIG BUCKS" that he feels he has so
        rightly earned and has said he's going to get. Al Davis out to Franchise
        him then put his butt on the practice squad, then see how much he'll be
        worth in free agency next year after not playing a full season, with that
        mouth of his they should just make him a tackling dummy. As far as I am
        concerned, this was Bill Callahan's team, his to make the decisions that
        needed to be made, and veterans like Woodson needed to be there to support
        those decisions and play their heart's out. You could even see it in
        pre-season, from Gannon on down, everyone thought they had a better idea of
        how the team should be run. Gannon had decided he wasn't going make it
        work, his pre-season and pre-injury play, put him in the category of a
        mediocre high school player, not the MVP we've come to know. These guys get
        paid millions to play as there told, and all they did was complain and give
        a half hearted effort, as far as I'm concerned they ought to institute a
        play for pay clause and those that continuously under-perform and cause such
        cancer to spread should get benched without pay. It doesn't take anyone
        other than one's self to become motivated and when they blame it on the
        coach it makes me sick. These guys are getting millions to play a game and
        claim someone else didn't motivate them correctly. Accepting their paycheck
        ought to be paramount to grand theft. I wish Bill, all the best, and I
        truly believe that he belongs as a head coach, maybe not the Raider's, but
        he has earned the right to be given a real chance, and the players this year
        took that away from him. I'll be a Raider's team fan for life, but there
        are some individuals that just have to go! Just my $5.00 worth. Happy New
        year to all the Raider faithful. Bob

        --
        Bob
        Bleedin Silver and Black
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2004
          I agree that Callahan is only partially responsible for this season's
          poor showing. It's not all his fault. The problem is that credit
          rarely goes where it belongs and the blame doesn't either. The
          Raiders suffered from MANY different problems this season.

          When Callahan made the press conference statement now know as "the
          dumbest team in America" speech he basically put his head on the
          block by acknowledging that the buck stops with him. I couldn't help
          but admire him for that. I'm sure that some of the players actually
          like Bill. Hell,I like Bill. The voices of dissent got all of the
          attention.

          Al Davis is never going to choose between his star players and his
          head coach. It's always been his decision to keep his players on his
          team. I wasn't surprised that Al Davis didn't choose to extend Bill
          Callahan's contract. He's fired better.

          On a more positive note for all you Bill supporters:

          Callahan will land on his feet and probably hit the ground running.
          Look for him in post-season competition in the future. He'll be
          there.