Gospel of Philip - Part Five

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005

      This is Volume One Number 71
      January 31, 2005

      I've been asked to comment sentence by sentence so
      it's easier to understand. I'll give it a try and
      see what you think. Please let me know if you
      don't like the new format. Thanks.

      For my text I'm using the Gospel of Philip found
      at

      http://UniversalGnostic.com/reading/mystic/philip.htm

      In my opinion, the best translation of the Gospel
      of Philip is done by Jean-Yves LeLoop (2002) (ISBN
      1-59477-022-0) published by Inner Traditions
      Rochester, VT. http://InnerTraditions.com

      "Christ came to ransom some, to save others, to
      redeem others."

      This is all about the Christ Consciousness which
      came to the Master Jesus and thousands of masters
      before and since. It's about the Christ
      Consciousness you can bring into your own life.
      The Christ Consciousness is a gift from the Divine
      that can ransom, save or redeem anybody.

      "He ransomed those who were strangers and made
      them his own."

      To ransom means to release or redeem a captive or
      property with something of value to the captor.
      There are many ways we can take this passage since
      we are all captives of our own egos and each
      other. The Christ Consciousness moves through
      each of us all the time giving us the option to
      free ourselves from the bondage to our thoughts,
      emotions, egos, desires and others. If and when
      we do this we become a part of the Christ
      Consciousness. The Christ Consciousness thereby
      makes us "his own."

      "And he set his own apart, those whom he gave as a
      pledge according to his plan."

      Those who attain Christ Consciousness are set
      apart from the rest of humanity. This is all
      according to the plan of the Creator, the plan of
      creation. That plan is that we raise ourselves up
      from gross ignorance to self-realization and
      eventually to Divine-realization.

      "It was not only when he appeared that he
      voluntarily laid down his life, but he voluntarily
      laid down his life from the very day the world
      came into being."

      This is a reference to the fact that all who
      attain Christ Consciousness "die" to their former
      selves. They "lay down their lives" and become a
      new person. The Christ Consciousness has been
      with us since the very beginning and is always
      available to any of us at any time. The Christ
      Consciousness died to the physical reality in the
      beginning and is always available to be "reborn"
      in any of us at any time.

      "Then he came first in order to take it, since it
      had been given as a pledge."

      The Christ Consciousness was here before the
      creation of the world and is available to us as a
      promise at any time.

      "It fell into the hands of robbers and was taken
      captive, but he saved it. He redeemed the good
      people in the world as well as the evil."

      "It" is the creation itself. We are the robbers
      and we have taken the creation captive. We have
      taken ourselves, our thoughts and ideas, our
      emotions, our desires and our worldly experiences
      captive. We pretend to own them but we do not.
      But the Christ Consciousness is available to any
      of us at any time and through it we can be
      redeemed, we can overcome our ignorance, and
      we can attain self-realization as well as Divine-
      realization through the Christ Consciousness.

      We'll continue the Gospel of Philip in the next
      newsletter. In the meantime, have a great week.
      Please let me know if you prefer this new format
      or not.

      Namaste,
      John

      Gnostic News is a publication of the Universal
      Gnostic Church http://UniversalGnostic.com and Dr.
      John Gilbert http://GnosticYoga.com Copyright by
      John Gilbert and Universal Gnostic Church 2005.