Qabala 101 - Part 2

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2004

      This is Volume One Number 41
      May 2, 2004

      Several of you have asked which version of the
      Sepher Yetzirah is the best. In my opinion, by
      far the best commentary on the Sepher Yetzirah
      is "Sefer Yetzirah - The Book of Creation In
      Theory and Practice" (ISBN 0-87728-726-0) by
      Aryeh Kaplan published by Samuel Weiser, Inc.
      My review of this great book can be found at
      http://GnosticYoga.com/reading/qabala/

      The text I'm using can be read or downloaded at
      http://GnosticYoga.com/reading/qabala/sepher1.htm
      We'll be reading Chapter One Section 2.

      The number of spheres on the Tree of Life is said
      to be ten and the name of these spheres is said to
      be "Sephiroth" which basically means "emanation."
      The Sepheroth are said to be "ineffable," which
      means these emanations are too overwhelming or too
      sacred to be expressed or described in words,
      they are inexpressible. Yet we give each of them
      one or more names and a number. Why?

      Some commentators say the Creator instructed Adam
      and those who followed Adam to give a name to
      everything. Others claim it's for our convenience
      as students of the Divine. Some think it's a
      mistake to name and number the Sepheroth. My
      feeling is we name and number them but we don't
      begin to describe the power and majesty of these
      sacred emanations. So we experience them.

      As you read this second section, keep in mind the
      Sepher Yetzirah is not a story, it's an outline
      for lectures to be given by learned men - at the
      time it was written only men were allowed to study
      the Kaballah (Qabala) but today both men and women
      lecture on the Qabala using this outline. That's
      why, without any introduction at all, the second
      sentence of this section talks about the paths
      between the ten spheres.

      There are twenty-two paths between the spheres
      according to this outline. That was not always
      true. In some of the older versions of the Tree of
      Life, there were 18, 19, or 24 paths. There were
      probably some other variations I don't know about.
      But the authors are making an argument for
      twenty-two paths by stating there are twenty-two
      letters in the Hebrew alphabet.

      These twenty-two letters are called "the
      Foundation of all things." This means that
      everything created is created on an individual
      Tree of Life. Each person, each animal, each
      plant, each rock, each part of each thing, each
      organ, each branch, each bone, each mineral, each
      and every cell is built upon the foundation of the
      Tree of Life - a separate Tree for each thing. A
      Tree for everything.

      The twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet are
      divided into three groups. The "Mother" letters
      are assigned to Water, Air and Fire the three
      elements before the manifestation of the fourth,
      Earth. The seven double letters are assigned to
      the seven planets of the ancients and the twelve
      single letters to the twelve signs of the Zodiac.
      The difference between single and double letters
      is the double letters have both an unvoiced and a
      voiced sound. I'll leave it to you to learn as
      much as you want to learn about the Hebrew
      language. In the meantime, have a great week.

      Namaste,
      John

      Gnostic News is a publication of the Universal
      Gnostic Church http://UniversalGnostic.com and Dr.
      John Gilbert http://GnosticYoga.com Copyright by
      John Gilbert and Universal Gnostic Church 2004.