Emerald Tablet - Part Seven

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007

      The Starrus and Reeves translation continues: "Thou shalt separate the
      earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross, suavely, and with
      great ingenuity." Ashley renders this as: "Separate the earth from the
      fire, the subtle from the gross, gently and with unremitting care."
      George Beato says it as: "separate the earth from the fire, the subtle
      and thin from the crude and course, prudently." Sir Isaac Newton
      reports: "Separate thou ye earth from ye fire, ye subtle from the
      gross sweetly with great industry." The earliest Latin text has it as
      "It will separate earth from fire, the subtle from the gross.
      Blavatsky and Fulcanelli agree with these writers in their own way.

      Jabir ibn Hayyan writes: Feed the earth from that which is subtle,
      with the greatest power." Sigismund Bacstrom tanslates the Chaldean
      version of the Emerald Tablet as: "Separate that spiritous earth from
      the dense or crude by means of a gentle heat, with much attention."

      The majority concur, but these last two translations intrigue mm for
      their diversion from the majority report. To understand this part of
      the Tablet, let's agree that the World of Fire, being the Astral
      World, is more subtle than the World of Earth. Let's agree the World
      of Earth is the world of matter which compared to astral matter is
      indeed "gross."

      To separate the subtle from the gross is one of the first steps in
      alchemy, which is called, appropriately enough, "separation." We are
      asked to separate what we manifest in our lives (the gross, the earth)
      from what we intended to manifest (the fire, the subtle).

      Part of the human condition is that we always create in our lives what
      we intend to create. But we create it with all of our beliefs about
      ourselves, all of our other intentions for our life, all of our
      emotional issues, all of our intuitive insights, memories, thoughts
      and ideas and all the things we imagine. What a complex mixture of
      positive and negative attributes we bring into our creations.

      When I separate the subtle from the gross, I am separating my Fire
      from my Earth, my desires from my creations. So the process is to
      lovingly, with great kindness to ourselves, softly and gently look at
      what we have created in our life and then look at what we desired to
      create, our spiritous Earth, in our life. The difference between the
      two is all of the garbage we carry around inside ourselves. This
      garbage is the "gross and crude" we will eventually burn in the fire.

      There are several ways for us to do this but they all involve first
      identifying what we desired and what we created. Let me share some
      examples: 1) I desired a medium build but I created a fat me, 2) I
      wanted a loving relationship, but I created a painful war, 3) I sought
      a wonderful career, but I created a terrible job, and 4) I needed to
      write beautiful heart-felt poetry, but I wrote hate-filled novels.

      Our Fire is what we want, need, desire, crave and intend. Our Earth is
      what we actually create. The difference between the two are the things
      we need to remove from our lives through the alchemical tools of
      accepting, forgiving and loving ourselves and all others. If we do
      this gently and with loving kindness, we start to manifest what we
      really want in our life. It's tedious work, but it works!

      I recommend Spiritual Alchemy to everyone: http://AlchemicalOrder.com

      Peace,
      John
      PS: If you have a little spare time, like about an hour a week, the
      Octagon Society (a UGF Spiritual Alchemical Fellowship) needs a
      secretary to manage our discussion group.