Here There Be Dragons - Part 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      This is Volume Three Number 1
      September 4, 2006

      Gentlepeople,

      For my text, I'm using "Dragonlore" by Ash
      "LeopardDancer" DeKirk (ISBN-13:978-1-56414-868-1
      and in hardcover ISBN-10: 1-56414-868-8) with
      illustrations by Ian Daniels and Erif Thunen.
      This book is a textbook for the Grey School of
      Wizardry published by New Page Books
      (http://NewPageBooks.com) by arrangement with
      Oberon Zell-Ravenheart.

      This series of articles is my review of this book
      covering one of my favorite topics for
      investigation - dragons. To me, dragons are both
      very alchemical and magical. If you haven't
      visited the alchemical expression of dragons see
      http://ModernEssenes.com\reiki\dragons\.
      _________________________

      Here There Be Dragons - Part 1
      _________________________

      Chapter One "Dragons of the World" is the most
      complete listing of dragons I've ever seen. The
      author takes us on a dragon tour of Asia, Middle
      East, Europe, Africa, Oceania and the Americas
      naming all of the dragons I've ever read about
      and many more. She defines dragons as including
      wurms, pythons and drakes. Wurms are giant
      snakes with various appendages. Pythons are
      giant snakes. Drakes are lizards or dragons that
      lack wings.

      Asiatic dragons in general have snake-like
      bodies, horse-like heads and four paws with three
      or four long claws. Asiatic dragons are said to
      have 117 scales of which 81 are masculine (yang)
      and 36 feminine (yin). Thus they could be
      expected to be controlled by testosterone more
      than loving kindness.

      Some Chinese dragons look like snakes. Others
      look like birds, fish. lizards or turtles.
      Japanese dragons look like snakes, lizards, hydra
      or birds. Middle Eastern and European dragons
      generally are more along the line of what
      Westerners think of as dragons, hydra or
      serpents.

      The dragons of Oceania are basically serpents and
      a few drakes with a South Pacific flavor. In
      Africa the ancient dragons a mostly rainbow
      serpents but there are chimera, wyvern, serpent,
      cobra and drake variations. The winged serpents
      of the Americas come in as many varieties as
      there are Native nations.

      I was astounded not only by the variety of
      dragons in the world but by the sheer number of
      species within the dragon kingdom. This is the
      most comprehensive listing of dragons I've ever
      seen. It's easy to see how this is a textbook of
      dragonlore. We'll take up the myths surrounding
      dragons next time.

      Namaste,
      John

      Gnostic News is a publication of the Universal
      Gnostic Church http://UniversalGnostic.com
      Copyright by John Gilbert, Ph.D. and Universal
      Gnostic Church 2006