The Gospel of Philip - Part 27

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      This is Volume One Number 92
      July 5, 2005

      Gentlepeople,

      Please take the time to investigate the Order of
      Mary and Intentional Prayer. I'd lioke to know
      what you think of both of them:

      http://OrderofMary.com
      http://IntentionalPrayer.com

      Thanks!

      For my text I'm using the Gospel of Philip from
      http://UniversalGnostic.com/reading/mystic/philip.htm

      In my opinion, the best translation of the Gospel
      of Philip is done by Jean-Yves LeLoop (2002) (ISBN
      1-59477-022-0) published by Inner Traditions
      Rochester, VT. http://InnerTraditions.com

      "27. Those who have gone astray, whom the spirit
      begets, usually go astray also because of the
      Spirit."

      There are many interpretations of this statement.
      One thought is that we can do nothing of ourselves
      but Spirit can do anything through us. Thus
      Spirit can accomplish good or evil through us and
      we can only go along with whatever Spirit decides
      to do. This is the complete opposite of free
      choice.

      The free choice explanation is that Spirit
      empowers each of us with a part of Itself. Thus
      we are a small piece of the Spirit and we can do
      what we want to do. Thus we can go astray and it
      is our very own Spirit that led us astray. This
      is the free choice explanation.

      The Tree of Life easily explains this second
      interpretation because the first world of the
      Kaballah is the World of Spirit. This is followed
      by the second, third and fourth worlds which are
      the Worlds of Soul, Ego and Persona in that order.
      In the World of Spirit we are empowered with free
      will and the ability to create our own lives. As
      a Child of the Divine we have the right and the
      freedom to go astray.

      "Thus, by one and the same breath, the fire blazes
      and is put out."

      The Breath of God is a term used to describe the
      life force within us. This is the Fire that gives
      us life. When the life force removes itself from
      our body we die to this world. It is therefore
      said that our light has gone out or that our Fire
      is extinguished.

      We'll continue our discussion of the Gospel of
      Philip next week. In the meantime, may the Gospel
      of Philip speak to your heart.

      Namaste,
      John

      Gnostic News is a publication of the Universal
      Gnostic Church http://UniversalGnostic.com and Dr.
      John Gilbert http://GnosticYoga.com Copyright by
      John Gilbert and Universal Gnostic Church 2005.