Re: How to define God as a teenager

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 139 , Mar 1, 2012
      --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, Shohn <bigshohn@...> wrote:

      > In my previous filibustering,

      You should look up what the word filibustering means. If I thought you were really filibustering you would be banned by now.

      Ken
    • echohotel@btinternet.com
      Message 139 of 139 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hi Ken,

        It's an interesting question and I don't have an answer to it, let alone anything that I'd claim to be absolute truth.

        My thoughts are these:

        Who can answer "what" God is unless they themselves know?

        There are at least two ways to look at this, the first being, as I've already suggested, that the girl wants to know what others mean by the word God, and an athiest could theoretically provide just as good a definition of this type as a theologian.

        Another way to look at it is that God is something that is knowable through direct personal experience, rather than just being some concept that people have collectively agreed upon, or that they disagree about.

        This makes the question much more difficult to handle sensitively.

        Does the parent tell the child that only parents and other select adults can know "what" God is, or can the parent somehow guide the child towards being on "equal footing", so to speak, in terms of what can and cannot be known?

        Very tricky, and therefore a very interesting thread.

        imo

        John