The Buddhist Formless States (Arupa Jhanas)

  • SteveW
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 10:43 PM
      Hello. Some of you may have experienced these in deep meditation:
      1. Infinite Space
      In Infinite Space, all points are the Center.
      2. Infinite Consciousness
      In Infinite Consciousness, all minds are the Mind.
      3. Nothingness
      In Nothingness, omnipresent Being is revealed.
      4. Neither Perception Nor Non-Perception
      In Neither Perception Nor Non-perception all is One, and yet
      everything remains what it is.
      Steve
    • Gnostic Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 4:23 AM
        On 5/6/2011 12:43 AM, SteveW wrote:
        > Hello. Some of you may have experienced these in deep meditation:
        > 1. Infinite Space
        > In Infinite Space, all points are the Center.
        > 2. Infinite Consciousness
        > In Infinite Consciousness, all minds are the Mind.
        > 3. Nothingness
        > In Nothingness, omnipresent Being is revealed.
        > 4. Neither Perception Nor Non-Perception
        > In Neither Perception Nor Non-perception all is One, and yet
        > everything remains what it is.
        > Steve

        Hello. Some of you may have been instructed as a child:
        1. Limited Scope
        In Limited Scope, you live in your little world, in your little town,
        in your little house, driving your little car, with your little
        family
        and your little job and your little ambitions
        2. Limited Consciousness
        In Limited Consciousness, you are told what you can't do,
        what you can't be, what you can't accomplish
        and you are held in your proper place
        3. Everything
        In Everything, you are marketed to,
        told what specific stuff you need to acquire
        to make you happy and fulfilled
        4. The Seen and Unseen
        In Religion, you are given rituals to perform
        and hold in your hand and splash on your face
        alongside fairy tales to cling to in times of trouble

        But once you can see beyond Limited Scope, to infinity and beyond,
        to differences and possibilities out there, beyond the edge of town,
        beyond the border of the country, beyond this planet, it changes you.

        And once you have this pesky panentheism notion, God is no longer
        apart from you, and other people are no longer apart from you,
        and nature is no longer apart from you, and there is this sense of
        plugging into a greater whole that transcends your individual limitations
        and lets you perform magic.

        To be content, jaded to the pie in the sky mind games,
        to unlearn all that they want you to want and want you to become,
        this Nothing needed devil may care hippie trail dream
        is actually quite comforting.

        You used to take their word for it all, then you went through
        having to figure it all out for yourself, but these days you see it
        all as a game, created and destroyed in the mind as
        instances of reality superimposed by the panentheistic moment of now.

        Old Siddhartha never taught anything that wasn't an antidote
        for some mental poison he perceived there to be a needed cure for.

        Gnostic Tom
      • SteveW
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 8:55 AM
          --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, Gnostic Tom <gnostictom@...> wrote:

          > On 5/6/2011 12:43 AM, SteveW wrote:
          > > Hello. Some of you may have experienced these in deep meditation:
          > > 1. Infinite Space
          > > In Infinite Space, all points are the Center.
          > > 2. Infinite Consciousness
          > > In Infinite Consciousness, all minds are the Mind.
          > > 3. Nothingness
          > > In Nothingness, omnipresent Being is revealed.
          > > 4. Neither Perception Nor Non-Perception
          > > In Neither Perception Nor Non-perception all is One, and yet
          > > everything remains what it is.
          > > Steve
          >
          > Hello. Some of you may have been instructed as a child:
          > 1. Limited Scope
          > In Limited Scope, you live in your little world, in your little town,
          > in your little house, driving your little car, with your little
          > family
          > and your little job and your little ambitions
          > 2. Limited Consciousness
          > In Limited Consciousness, you are told what you can't do,
          > what you can't be, what you can't accomplish
          > and you are held in your proper place
          > 3. Everything
          > In Everything, you are marketed to,
          > told what specific stuff you need to acquire
          > to make you happy and fulfilled
          > 4. The Seen and Unseen
          > In Religion, you are given rituals to perform
          > and hold in your hand and splash on your face
          > alongside fairy tales to cling to in times of trouble
          >
          > But once you can see beyond Limited Scope, to infinity and beyond,
          > to differences and possibilities out there, beyond the edge of town,
          > beyond the border of the country, beyond this planet, it changes you.
          >
          > And once you have this pesky panentheism notion, God is no longer
          > apart from you, and other people are no longer apart from you,
          > and nature is no longer apart from you, and there is this sense of
          > plugging into a greater whole that transcends your individual limitations
          > and lets you perform magic.
          >
          > To be content, jaded to the pie in the sky mind games,
          > to unlearn all that they want you to want and want you to become,
          > this Nothing needed devil may care hippie trail dream
          > is actually quite comforting.
          >
          > You used to take their word for it all, then you went through
          > having to figure it all out for yourself, but these days you see it
          > all as a game, created and destroyed in the mind as
          > instances of reality superimposed by the panentheistic moment of now.
          >
          > Old Siddhartha never taught anything that wasn't an antidote
          > for some mental poison he perceived there to be a needed cure for.
          >
          > Gnostic Tom

          Hi Tom. LOL! I like your explanation better!
          Steve