Hats as Neon Signs (Re: [GnosticThought] music and sleep)

  • Jane*
    Message 1 of 79 , Dec 8, 2009
      Dear Cynthia,

      Absolutely.  Music and sleep, numbers 1 and 2 on my list of what energizes and sustains me.

      I would like to add an exclamation point to your offering on dissing the body.  I don't know where people get their ideas.  That having been said, we are living in duality, so I suppose if some people want to see parts of themselves in a good-bad context and act out the "bad" mode of their duality natures by punishing their body, that is their bag, but it's not mine :-) and thank God/dess they are punishing themselves instead of someone else.

      I adore hats.  Throughout history, hats have adorned the heads of people to carry a message to others, of their function as royalty or speciality of some sort -- priestly adornment, membership in an exclusive club (like a professional baseball team or the fans of that team).  No, hats are totally important.

      Blessings,
       ~`~~{@ Jane*

      "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

      ________________________________
      From: Todd Settimo <todd@bagendpress. com>
      Subject: Re: [GnosticThought] New Members, an invitation
      To: GnosticThought@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 5:29 PM

      It's a pleasure to meet you, Cindy...and I enjoyed your 'ramble'.

      I could completely understand what you said about gossip. Of course, you
      used that as an example. I'm sure that same inner consistency has forced
      several changes in your behavior as it has in mine.

      I'm curious, do you have a regular sort of practice, such as meditation,
      etc. that has furthered your inner understanding? If so, could you tell
      us about it?

      Thanks for writing.

      Best,
      Todd

      http://www.bagendpr ess.com
      http://www.amazon com

      The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not
      expect to sit.
      --Nelson Henderson

      Peacock Cynthia wrote:

      > I'm one of the newbies.
      >
      > I'm more in a season of listening right now, but I'll add my thoughts
      > for today...
      >
      > My husband, two children and I live in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia.
      > About 10 years ago or so, the majority of the white people moved out
      > and nonwhite people moved in. Folks are too polite to say what I just
      > said, but rather they say the neighborhood has "changed" and then give
      > a funny little look. Well, I have 3000 square feet with a swell lake
      > in my backyard and I'm working on the last three years of a 15-year
      > mortgage. I only see good change. I don't particularly miss my
      > neighbors who left our neighborhood and have yet to see what people
      > were so worried about.
      >
      > There are many advantages of having a transcendent world view. I
      > don't have to overcome racial prejudices because racial prejudices are
      > not compatible with my worldview. It's not that I am a saint or
      > open-minded mind you, they simply make no sense.
      >
      > So, at present my former neighbors are short-selling their white
      > flight homes and I'm comfortably living in mine. Living in the light
      > has countless practical consequences. There is no sacrifice, but only
      > reward.
      >
      > Christmas is nice because we're off from work and we give each other
      > presents. I have no anxiety over that either.
      >
      > Because my religion of origin was a protestant one, much of tradition
      > stems from the teachings of Jesus. I will say, however, that when I
      > was about 19 or 20, and read what Plato said about the shadows, I had
      > that "there you are!" sort of moment. I cobbled together an idea of
      > "real" things and "not real" things, "real" things being searching for
      > truth, carrying for those around me, and not hurting anyone and "not
      > real" things being things like credit reports, gossip, reality
      > television, etc. Further, I think every moment is important. When I
      > go to the grocery store, it's a celebration. When I go to the post
      > office, it's a celebration. Every moment is a unique point in time
      > and space and should be treasured.
      >
      > Back to gossip for a moment: I used to love gossip. I rarely started
      > gossip, but I loved hearing juicy gossip. I cannot imagine that
      > person was me. Now, I can't stand to be near it. It's inconsistent
      > with whom I am. So, when I think I have a long way to go, I am
      > comforted to see how far I have come.
      >
      > If I turn on the television or the radio, I hear how everything around
      > us is crumbling. The amount of free-floating anxiety is palpable.
      > People who considered themselves too sophisticated to put their faith
      > in Jesus have now put their faith in a political machine. So hungry
      > for a Messiah they conjecture about who will be the sovereign in 2012.
      >
      > When you "own" your own personal truth, there is peace. When you
      > don't, the best you can hope for is momentary respite from suffering.
      > I love Happy Buddha and the Jesus who fed the multitude. And a friend
> [...]

    • lordofeternalnight
      Message 79 of 79 , Dec 29, 2009
        Hmm...
        the holidays. I value them mostly for the time I get to spend with those people close to me (friends, family, etc.) not so much for the food(though it is nice.) or the presents. I must say that there are always sweet and heart-warming things to look forward to during these times, though personally I think we should celebrate unity all year long- not only when surrounded by a plethora of dishes and a tree atop a pile of presents.
        But that is just my outlook. Marvelous times are created and empowered by the meaning and significance we give them, their intrinsic value.

        ~Cam