Re: [GnosticThought] Re: Pearls Before Swine

  • rosiolady@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 3, 2009
      I am aware that there is a strong stream of math running through, or
      perhaps underlying, many of the spiritual traditions. I understand it's value.
      I wish math concepts didn't boggle my mind as they do.

      Rosalie

      In a message dated 7/3/2009 6:53:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      tomragland@... writes:

      rosiolady@... wrote:
      > I think this may be an intensive study of its own. It did seem really
      odd
      > to me that a mathematical system should be suppressed, and it seems it
      > would only be the case if the system had more than surface meaning.
      >
      > Rosalie

      To the Pythagoreans, math was the ultimate magic,
      the pattern from which everything exists,
      thus to know the pattern is to see beyond the appearances
      into the underlying essence. This was incorporated in
      architecture (think the Greek parthenon like buildings and
      Gothic cathedrals) and art (statues and paintings), and
      music (the Pythagoreans created stringed instruments and
      worked with scales of notes based on math), and symbols
      like the pentagram and cross and vesica piscis. To know
      the math was to unlock the potential in everything.

      Now who was it that supressed all of this ancient knowledge?
      The bringers on of the dark ages, the control freak
      anti-Gnostic church organization starting in the second century
      and gaining so much power by the third century that stuff like
      the Nag Hammadi Library had to be hidden from the bonfires.

      Me thinks it is easier to control mindless sheep, give them what
      to think, what rituals to perform, fleece them of their spare
      change, and never let them out of that box. Not only were
      the dark ages "Christians" not allowed to study math, they
      were not taught to read.

      Gnostic Tom

      steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
      JulystepsfooterNO62)

    • Gnostic Tom
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 9, 2009
        Brian wrote:
        > Have you ever heard of the quelle or "q" document. Some speculate
        that it could be an earlier version used to create the more literal
        synoptic versions,but that john was written to return this "q" document
        back to its more origanal"less literal form".

        I was just reading I Q a Juggernaut? by Michael Goulder
        http://www.markgoodacre.org/Q/goulder.htm

        I agree with him and have had some of the same conclusions over the past
        few years.
        There never was a "Q". Matthew added the material that is "Q" and Luke
        used Matthew as a source, writing for a different audience and later decade.
        That is my current take on it, anyways.

        Gnostic Tom