Ancient One

  • Brenda
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      I was perusing the link I posted earlier and found the following story and thought I'd share it because it is beautiful and has a gnostic feel.

      Brenda

      http://www.indigenouspeople.net/ancient.htm

      The Ancient One

      by Bearwalker
      Ancient One sat in the shade of his tree in front of his cave. Red People came to him and he said to Red People, "Tell me your vision."

      And Red People answered, "The elders have told us to pray in this manner, and that manner, and it is important that only we pray as we have been taught for this has been handed down to us by the elders."

      "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.

      Then Black People came to him and he said to Black People, "Tell me your vision."

      And Black People answered, "Our mothers have said to go to this building and that building and pray in this manner and that manner. And our fathers have said to bow in this manner and that manner when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."

      "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.

      Then Yellow People came to him and he said to Yellow People, "Tell me your vision."

      And Yellow People answered, "Our teachers have told us to sit in this manner and that manner and to say this thing and that thing when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."

      "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.

      Then White People came to him and he said to White People, "Tell me your vision."

      And White People answered, "Our Book has told us to pray in this way and that way and to do this thing and that thing, and it is very important that we do this when we pray."

      "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.

      Then Ancient One spoke to the Earth and said, "Have you given the people a vision?" And the Earth said, "Yes, a special gift for each one, but the people were so busy speaking and arguing about which way is right they could not see the gift I gave each one of them." And the Ancient One asked same question of Water and Fire and Air and got the same answer. Then Ancient One asked Animal, and Bird, and Insect, and Tree, and Flower, and Sky, and Moon, and Sun, and Stars, and all of the other Spirits and each told him the same.

      Ancient One thought this was very sad. He called Red People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to him and said to them. "The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers, and Teachers, and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your ancestors. But the ancestors no longer walk on the Face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way.
    • James Takac
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        MM Brenda

        I agree with you here. Seems very Gnostic to me

        MP
        p3nn

        --
        All the races and tribes in the world are like the different colored flowers
        of one meadow. All are beautiful. As children of the Creator they must all be

        Anon
      • rosiolady@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          In a message dated 4/1/2009 12:09:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          brenda@... writes:

          Ancient One thought this was very sad. He called Red People, Black People,
          Yellow People, and White People to him and said to them. "The ways taught to
          you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers, and Teachers, and Books are
          sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your
          ancestors. But the ancestors no longer walk on the Face of the Earth Mother.
          You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one
          else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to
          see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a
          good

          I really like this story, Brenda, thanks for sharing it! It does indeed
          have a very gnostic feel. IMO too.

          Rosalie
          **************New Low Prices on Dell Laptops – Starting at $399
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631247x1201390185/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubl
          eclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540506%3B35046329%3Bx)

        • Gnostic Ken
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
            > From: brenda@...
            >
            > I was perusing the link I posted earlier and found the following story and thought I'd share it because it is beautiful and has a gnostic feel.
            >
            > Brenda
            >
            > http://www.indigenouspeople.net/ancient.htm
            >
            > The Ancient One
            >
            > by Bearwalker
            >
            > Ancient One sat in the shade of his tree in front of his cave. Red People came to him and he said to Red People, "Tell me your vision."
            >
            > And Red People answered, "The elders have told us to pray in this manner, and that manner, and it is important that only we pray as we have been taught for this has been handed down to us by the elders."
            >
            > "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.
            >
            > Then Black People came to him and he said to Black People, "Tell me your vision."
            >
            > And Black People answered, "Our mothers have said to go to this building and that building and pray in this manner and that manner. And our fathers have said to bow in this manner and that manner when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."
            >
            > "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.
            >
            > Then Yellow People came to him and he said to Yellow People, "Tell me your vision."
            >
            > And Yellow People answered, "Our teachers have told us to sit in this manner and that manner and to say this thing and that thing when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."
            >
            > "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.
            >
            > Then White People came to him and he said to White People, "Tell me your vision."
            >
            > And White People answered, "Our Book has told us to pray in this way and that way and to do this thing and that thing, and it is very important that we do this when we pray."
            >
            > "Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.
            >
            > Then Ancient One spoke to the Earth and said, "Have you given the people a vision?" And the Earth said, "Yes, a special gift for each one, but the people were so busy speaking and arguing about which way is right they could not see the gift I gave each one of them." And the Ancient One asked same question of Water and Fire and Air and got the same answer. Then Ancient One asked Animal, and Bird, and Insect, and Tree, and Flower, and Sky, and Moon, and Sun, and Stars, and all of the other Spirits and each told him the same.
            >
            > Ancient One thought this was very sad. He called Red People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to him and said to them. "The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers, and Teachers, and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your ancestors. But the ancestors no longer walk on the Face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way.

            Hi Brenda,
            Do you know if this is a traditional story or a new one?

            Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
          • Brenda
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
              --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, Gnostic Ken <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Ancient One thought this was very sad. He called Red People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to him and said to them. "The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers, and Teachers, and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your ancestors. But the ancestors no longer walk on the Face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way.
              > >

              > Hi Brenda,
              > Do you know if this is a traditional story or a new one?

              Ken,

              I would assume a traditional story because I think that's what the website is trying to document and save.

              Brenda
            • Gnostic Ken
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
> [...]
                >>>

                >> Hi Brenda,
                >> Do you know if this is a traditional story or a new one?
                >>
                >> Ken
                >
                > Ken,
                >
                > I would assume a traditional story because I think that's what the website is trying to document and save.

                Hi Brenda,
                Thanks. Then it appears they were very gnostic in the way we define "gnostic" here in this group.