Trolls Re: (unknown)

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 153 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, "anngraves" <anngraves@...>
      wrote:

      > I think trolls just like to yank peoples chains. it gives them a
      >kick..

      Hi Ann,
      That would be the common troll. Their goal is to disrupt. By disrupting
      they make themselves feel important.

      Then there are the trolls who are on a mission. Their goal is to preach
      to those who don't want to be preached to.

      As several have pointed out the trolls do serve a purpose. They
      challange us to think about what we assume to be true. They can also
      jumpstart conversation on a list where posts have died down.

      New subscribers do this too. The trick is to tell the difference
      between a troll and someone who respectfully thinks different than most
      here. One way to tell is trolls tend to flood the list with multiple
      posts. Often they claim to agree and then say the exact opposite in
      their next post. The latest troll did exactly that several times.

      One reason we let the trolls post quite a few times before banning them
      is we try to avoid banning someone who is simply having a difficult
      time throwing off their religious programming and understanding that we
      are not just a different religion, that we have a whole different way
      of thinking than they are used to.

      Ken
    • Gnostic Ken
      Message 153 of 153 , Mar 4, 2009
        > From: anngraves@...
        >
        > Maybe we should stalk him back. lol

        I wouldn't call it stalking because I was a member of the Gospel of Thomas group before him, but I did point out the flaws in John Moon's posts on that group after he was banned here.

        I have stopped now because I found out he has been having personal problems.

        Windows Liveā„¢ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
        http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009