Re: [GnosticThought] A Short History of Gnosticism

  • Lawrence Kennon
    Message 1 of 55 , Jan 1, 2002
      BitsyCat1@...:

      >In the Greek Pistis merely means Faith...

      Not just "merely". ;)

      Pistis means "persuasion" and comes from
      peitho which means "to convince by argument".
      I rather like J.J. Dewey's definition which
      goes, ""a mental conviction one has proven
      true by argument or reason".

      There is an interesting article on this called
      "Real Faith" which you might find interesting.
      The URL is:

      http://www.thenewagesite.com/intro/faith.html

      The basic point however is that over time the
      real meaning of the underlying Greek word
      translated as "faith" has been changed to mean
      what we know call "blind faith", and which is
      more akin to the Greek word blasphemos.

      best regards,

      lk
      www.theNewAgeSite.com

      I endorse the Principles of Unification
      http://www.unification911.org
    • Penndragon
      Message 55 of 55 , Dec 26, 2003
        MM Martin

        No worries then. I thought a 1 CE (or AD) date made more sense.

        MP
        Penn

        --
        "Hinduism", "Catholicism", and "Judaism", all the "isms" are different
        decorations. But they all have the same basic principle, that the

        Swami Satchidananda