Gospel of Thomas Saying 67

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      67 Jesus said,
      "Those who know all, but are lacking in themselves, are utterly
      lacking."
      http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/trans.html

      67) Jesus said,
      "Whoever believes that the All itself is
      deficient is (himself) completely deficient."
      http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/other/gospel.thomas

      67.)
      He who knows the All
      and does not know himself
      has missed everything.
      http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/johnson.html

      67. Y'shua says:
      Whoever knows everything, but fails (to know) himself, lacks
      everything.
      (Th 3)
      http://www.metalog.org/thomas.html

      (67) Jesus says:
      "Whoever knows all, if he is lacking one thing, he is (already)
      lacking
      everything."
      http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm

      67
      Any deficiency is utter deficiently
      JESUS said, "If anyone should become acquainted with the entirety
      and should fall short at all (?), that person falls short utterly."
      Mt 16:26, Mk 8:36, Lk 9:25
      Layton translation.

      What does this saying - say / mean to you?
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, "gnostic_ken"
        <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

        > 67 Jesus said,
        > "Those who know all, but are lacking in themselves, are utterly
        > lacking."
        > http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/trans.html
        >
        > 67) Jesus said,
        > "Whoever believes that the All itself is
        > deficient is (himself) completely deficient."
        > http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/other/gospel.thomas
        >
        > 67.)
        > He who knows the All
        > and does not know himself
        > has missed everything.
        > http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/johnson.html
        >
        > 67. Y'shua says:
        > Whoever knows everything, but fails (to know) himself, lacks
        > everything.
        > (Th 3)
        > http://www.metalog.org/thomas.html
        >
        > (67) Jesus says:
        > "Whoever knows all, if he is lacking one thing, he is (already)
        > lacking
        > everything."
        > http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm
        >
        > 67
        > Any deficiency is utter deficiently
        > JESUS said, "If anyone should become acquainted with the entirety
        > and should fall short at all (?), that person falls short utterly."
        > Mt 16:26, Mk 8:36, Lk 9:25
        > Layton translation.
        >
        > What does this saying - say / mean to you?

        There are subtle divergences of meaning among the varying
        translations here. Generally speaking, they deal with self-
        knowledge, a sense of deficiency, and knowledge of everything
        or the All. "Deficiency" is linked to lack of self-knowledge,
        which itself distorts understanding of the All. The gnostics
        called this "agnosia". In Sanskrit it is "ajnana". How is self-
        knowledge and knowledge of the All related? If knowing the All
        simply refers to the collection of diverse bits of information
        then, imo, one has missed the boat. Rather, as the Upanishads say,
        know that by which everything can be known. This knowing is the
        knowing of The Self. Not "my" little personality as contrasted with
        "your" little personality, but rather that Essence of Mind that
        is not contained by anything but itself contains All. What was
        your original face before your parents were born? If you can gnow
        this, then all deficiency will vanish in the twinkling of an Eye/I.
        Steve
        "This is perfect, that is perfect. Everything is perfect. Subtract
        perfect from perfect and the remainder is perfect."
        -Isha Upanishad
      • ann graves
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
          To me this suggests that the "know it all" Churches and
          those who preach to know it all... don't know enough to
          realize they know everything. That maybe they need to do a
          little more introspection as to their ego motives....

          Of course I also beleive, IMO, those that beleive in these
          preachers , there are always followers and that is sad... it
          is like a butterfly coming from the chrisalys and then
          having his wings amputated. Of course though if they look
          inside themselves, they may find miracles can happen and
          they can regrow the wings.

          hugs
          ann

          _____

          <mailto:GnosticThought%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
          "gnostic_ken"
          <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

> [...]

          information
          then, imo, one has missed the boat. Rather, as the
          Upanishads say,
          know that by which everything can be known. This knowing is
          the
          knowing of The Self. Not "my" little personality as
          contrasted with
          "your" little personality, but rather that Essence of Mind
          that
          is not contained by anything but itself contains All. What
          was
          your original face before your parents were born? If you can
          gnow
          this, then all deficiency will vanish in the twinkling of an
          Eye/I.
          Steve
          "This is perfect, that is perfect. Everything is perfect.
          Subtract
          perfect from perfect and the remainder is perfect."

        • vang19th
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2008
            <gnostic_ken@...> wrote:

            > 67 Jesus said,
            > "Those who know all, but are lacking in themselves, are utterly
            > lacking."
            > http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/trans.html
            >
            > 67) Jesus said,
            > "Whoever believes that the All itself is
            > deficient is (himself) completely deficient."
            > http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/other/gospel.thomas
            >
            > 67.)
            > He who knows the All
            > and does not know himself
            > has missed everything.
            > http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/johnson.html
            >
            > 67. Y'shua says:
            > Whoever knows everything, but fails (to know) himself, lacks
            > everything.
            > (Th 3)
            > http://www.metalog.org/thomas.html
            >
            > (67) Jesus says:
            > "Whoever knows all, if he is lacking one thing, he is (already)
            > lacking
            > everything."
            > http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm
            >
            > 67
            > Any deficiency is utter deficiently
            > JESUS said, "If anyone should become acquainted with the entirety
            > and should fall short at all (?), that person falls short utterly."
            > Mt 16:26, Mk 8:36, Lk 9:25
            > Layton translation.
            >
            > What does this saying - say / mean to you?

            Hi Ken, I´m still around,

            How can one know all, if he doesn´t know himself? The meaning must
            be that he thinks he knows everything because he projects everything
            that comes up in his mind. This is a very common phenonomen among
            people, and if they have a high esteem of themselves they can never
            admit to be wrong. Somehow they remind me of Berkeley´s
            statement: "Few men think yet all will have an opinion".
            Selfknowledge is a hard thing to acceive. I keep wondering who I am.
            In one of the gnostic scriptures someone sighs in a prayer and asks
            God why the blessings of his spirit come and go and wont stay
            permanent in him. That´s the way I feel too.

            Soren
          • rosiolady@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2008
              In a message dated 11/6/2008 5:45:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              vang19th@... writes:

              In one of the gnostic scriptures someone sighs in a prayer and asks
              God why the blessings of his spirit come and go and wont stay
              permanent in him. That´s the way I feel too.

              Soren

              Me too. It's nice to hear from you Soren.

              Rosalie
              Holiday needs. Search Now.
              -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)