Gospel of Thomas Saying 46

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
      What does this mean to you?

      46 Jesus said, "From Adam to John the Baptist, among those born of
      women,
      no one is so
      much greater than John the Baptist that his eyes should not be
      averted.

      But I have said that whoever among you becomes a child will
      recognize
      the
      kingdom and
      will become greater than John."
      http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/trans.html

      46) Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John
      the Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that
      his eyes should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said
      whichever one of you comes to be a child will be acquainted with
      the Kingdom and will become superior to John."
      http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/other/gospel.thomas

      46. Jesus said:
      From the first man
      to John the Baptist,
      no one born of woman is higher
      than John the Baptist,whose
      eyes remain unbroken.
      Whoever becomes small
      shall understand the kingdom,
      and be exalted above John.
      http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/johnson.html

      46. Y'shua says: From Adamº until John the Baptistº there is among
      those
      born of women
      none more exalted than John the Baptist--so that his eyes shall not
      be
      broken. Yet I have
      said that whoever among you becomes childlike shall know the
      Sovereignty,
      and he shall
      become more exalted than John. (Th 15, =Lk 7:28)
      http://www.metalog.org/thomas.html

      (46) Jesus says:
      (1) "From Adam to John the Baptist, among those born of women there
      is no
      one who
      surpasses John the Baptist so that his (i.e., John's) eyes need not
      be
      downcast. (2) But I
      have also said: `Whoever among you becomes little will know the
      kingdom,
      and will
      surpass John.'"
      http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm

      46 Little ones are more exalted than John the Baptist
      JESUS said, "From Adam unto John the Baptist there has been none
      among
      the offspring of women who has been more exalted that John the
      Baptist,
      so that such a person's eyes might be opened. But I have said that
      whoever among you (plur.) becomes a little one will become acquainted
      with the kingdom, and will become more exalted than John."
      Mt 11:11, Lk 7:28, Mt 18:3, Mk 10:15, Lk 18:17
      Layton translation.

      For the text in Coptic and English
      which makes comparision easy, visit Mikes site at:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9068/splitv.htm
    • gnostic_ken
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2008
        46 Jesus said, "From Adam to John the Baptist, among those born of
        women,
        no one is so
        much greater than John the Baptist that his eyes should not be
        averted.

        But I have said that whoever among you becomes a child will recognize
        the
        kingdom and
        will become greater than John."
        http://home.epix.net/%7emiser17/trans.html

        46) Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John
        the Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that
        his eyes should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said
        whichever one of you comes to be a child will be acquainted with
        the Kingdom and will become superior to John."
        http://listserv.american.edu/catholic/other/gospel.thomas

        46. Jesus said:
        From the first man
[...]

        What does this saying say/mean to you?
      • Todd C Settimo
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2008
          comes to be a child/Uncarved Block/Original mind

          A common golden thread of truth running through the fabric of culturally
          disparate philosophies.

          Best,
          Todd

          http://www.bagendpress.com
          http://www.amazon.com

          The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not
          expect to sit.
          --Nelson Henderson

          gnostic_ken wrote:

> [...]
          > kingdom,
          > and will
          > surpass John.'"
          > http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm
          > <http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/5thGospl.htm>
          >
          > 46 Little ones are more exalted than John the Baptist
          > JESUS said, "From Adam unto John the Baptist there has been none
          > among
          > the offspring of women who has been more exalted that John the
          > Baptist,
          > so that such a person's eyes might be opened. But I have said that
          > whoever among you (plur.) becomes a little one will become acquainted
          > with the kingdom, and will become more exalted than John."
          > Mt 11:11, Lk 7:28, Mt 18:3, Mk 10:15, Lk 18:17
          > Layton translation.
          >
          > For the text in Coptic and English
          > which makes comparision easy, visit Mikes site at:

        • Gnostic Tom
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 14, 2008
            gnostic_ken wrote:
            > 46 Jesus said, "From Adam to John the Baptist, among those born of
            > women,
            > no one is so
            > much greater than John the Baptist that his eyes should not be
            > averted.
            >
            > But I have said that whoever among you becomes a child will recognize
            > the
            > kingdom and
            > will become greater than John."

            John is our water nature, our physical nature, born of a physical woman
            mother.

            Child is our wind nature, our metaphysical nature, born of the Wind.

            If we cling to our physical nature, we will lose our heads.

            If we cling to our Child nature, even if they crucify us, we may laugh.

            gnostic tom
          • James Takac
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2008
              MM Tom

              Also John is just preparing the way for the kingdom and seems not to know/see
              it himself. Whereas we are the kingdom and when we recognise this we become
              greater

              MP
              p3nn

              --
              There being really no duality, pluralism is untrue. Until
              duality is transcended and at-one-ment realised,

              The Tibetan Book of Great Liberation
            • rosemary
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 17, 2008
                Being dependent and trusting on the spirit as a child is to it's
                parents brings us to a whole other place of existence.
                If I didn't trust in my parental source, the mother and father of my
                spirit, then I would be at the mercy of a material world, and all
                it's rules and laws and social heirarchies.

                --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, James Takac <p3nndrag0n@...>
                wrote:

                > MM Tom
                >
                > Also John is just preparing the way for the kingdom and seems not
                to know/see
                > it himself. Whereas we are the kingdom and when we recognise this
                we become
                > greater
                >
                > MP
                > p3nn
                >
                > On Thursday 14 August 2008 20:54:41 Gnostic Tom wrote:
                > > gnostic_ken wrote:
                > > > 46 Jesus said, "From Adam to John the Baptist, among those born
                of
                > > > women,
                > > > no one is so
                > > > much greater than John the Baptist that his eyes should not be
                > > > averted.
                > > >
                > > > But I have said that whoever among you becomes a child will
                recognize
                > > > the
                > > > kingdom and
                > > > will become greater than John."
                > >
                > > John is our water nature, our physical nature, born of a physical
                woman
                > > mother.
                > >
                > > Child is our wind nature, our metaphysical nature, born of the
                Wind.

                > > If we cling to our physical nature, we will lose our heads.
                > >
                > > If we cling to our Child nature, even if they crucify us, we may
                laugh.

                > > gnostic tom
                >

                > --
                > There being really no duality, pluralism is untrue. Until
                > duality is transcended and at-one-ment realised,
                > Enlightenment cannot be attained. The whole Sangsâna, as an
                > inseperable unity, are one's mind.
                >
                > The Tibetan Book of Great Liberation

              • Henry B. Ellak
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
                  regarding this aspect of statement,*****
                  among those born of
                  > women,

                  ***********

                  ""Some are born of women"", and this implies there are those who are
                  not born of women.

                  Who or what class of beings are not born of women?

                  Angels perhaps. As near as I can tell, Angels are not born of [human]
                  women nor are they born of anyone else.

                  Are angels Born of anyone?

                  Who or what would be the parents of angels?

                  Are humans, the human race, something less than angel.

                  Is being born of a women, a human women, some kind of limitation.

                  I think that perhaps one teaching is being given to those humans who
                  are born of women.

                  But also, there must be humans or other beings not born of human women.

                  What is true for humans, or humanity, may not be true for other
                  classes of beings, I suspect.

                  AS a rule, do Gnostics, or those who have experienced gnosis, know
                  about, by experience, other life forms besides the human being.
                  I have.

                  Henry B. Ellak
                • Todd C Settimo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
                    I didn't take "some are born of women" as a reference to other than
                    human beings (i.e. angels, and the like). I interpret 'born of women' as
                    a reference to the physical birth we undergo but, in fact, the authentic
                    Self we truly are is never born and never dies. When one becomes 'as a
                    child' (Uncarved Block or Original Mind, in other cultures), one lifts
                    the veil on our authentic Self and sees one's own eternal nature which
                    is 'greater than John' (born of a woman).

                    Henry B. Ellak wrote:

                    > regarding this aspect of statement,*****
                    > among those born of
                    > > women,
                    >
                    > ***********
                    >
                    > ""Some are born of women"", and this implies there are those who are
                    > not born of women.
                    >
                    > Who or what class of beings are not born of women?
                    >
                    > Angels perhaps. As near as I can tell, Angels are not born of [human]
                    > women nor are they born of anyone else.
                    >
                    > Are angels Born of anyone?
                    >
                    > Who or what would be the parents of angels?
                    >
                    > Are humans, the human race, something less than angel.
                    >
                    > Is being born of a women, a human women, some kind of limitation.
                    >
                    > I think that perhaps one teaching is being given to those humans who
                    > are born of women.
                    >
                    > But also, there must be humans or other beings not born of human women.
                    >
                    > What is true for humans, or humanity, may not be true for other
                    > classes of beings, I suspect.
                    >
                    > AS a rule, do Gnostics, or those who have experienced gnosis, know
                    > about, by experience, other life forms besides the human being.
                    > I have.
                    >
                    > Henry B. Ellak

                  • Henry B. Ellak
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 21, 2008
                      --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, Todd C Settimo <todd@...> wrote:
                      regarding,
                      but, in fact, the authentic
                      > Self we truly are is never born and never dies.

                      Henry replies,

                      Yes, I also feel that I was never born and will never die.

                      It is a knowing-feeling, that I was never born and will never die and
                      that I do not have any creator gods over me.

                      I consider the possibility that I am an angel incarnate and not even a
                      human in the first place.

                      I may wear a human body, or incarnate in a human body, but this does
                      not mean I am human.

                      IMO it is a great limition to limit ones views to only the human
                      experience or the human mind.

                      There are realities and beings beyound the human experience.

                      end