Re: Idnentification--

  • Ross Young
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 1, 2006
      I grew up in a place called Redding. It's in scotland tho so cougars
      weren't a big concern.

      --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <jjones@...> wrote:
      > No scolding from me, Bob, but I would advise you to keep the fire
      between you and the cougar.
      > I have never seen a cougar except for perhaps a flash of brown blur
      in the headlights on a dark highway, but I suspect that they have
      seen me. While doing forestry work in the manzanita, oak, pine and
      Douglas-fir clothed foothills of the Sierra Nevada, I once followed a
      trail of rustled leaves to a place where I saw both bluebottle flies
      and yellowjackets emerging from the same pile of leaves. I poked
      with a stick, hit something that resounded, reached into the leaves,
      grabbed what turned out to be a deer's leg. The blood on the flesh
      was still red. I put it back and backed away, looking about at the
      clumps of manzanita for the owner of that piece of meat.
      > A friend of mine had worked all day in the hot sun clearing brush
      on his land in the Sierra Nevada foothills of California, North
      America, Earth, was tired and sat down on a hillside. He heard
      rustling in the leaves to his left, and thinking it was a deer, he
      decided to be still to see how close the deer would come. He
      listened as the rustling moved up the slope above him. He turned to
      look at the deer out of the corner of his eye, and he saw that it was
      a cougar, which he had allowed to make considerable progress as it
      crept upslope and behind him.
      > He leapt up and faced the cat crouching above him. It was an old
      scarfaced cat, hideous and scary. It had planned to crush his
      cervical vertebrae from behind, but now that he faced the cat, it
      apparently was contemplating only minor revisions to the plan as it
      moved a couple of steps closer, to a distance of 8 feet, where
      predator and potential prey eyed one another. The cat was old, and
      scarfaced. No thing of beauty, it was ugly, and its intent was clear.
      > My friend was deeply immersed in martial arts training, through a
      kung fu school known as "the way of the beasts". Much practice is
      required. A gentler man you could not meet. Below average height,
      slender, amiable, too easy to get along with, you might not take the
      man seriously. He doesn't fight. He does drink in bars, though. He
      told me that once someone found offense in something he said while
      seated next to him at a bar, and the man cocked his fist to slug
      him. He reached up, put his hand against the man's fist, looked him
      in the eye and said "Don't." The man chuckled like he had been just
      kidding, and they went back to drinking.
      > If you meet the Buddha on the road and decide to kill him, make
      sure it's really the Buddha and not a student of "the way of the
      beasts". I went to their school once and saw teenaged girls and
      little old ladies who could kill me in a heartbeat.
      > So he faced that beast and he saw it was do or die, or maybe both.
      So he drew a breath and gave that kung foo scream as he positioned
      himself for what might be his last fight. The cougar left.
      > I myself would have been killed and eaten in a situation like
      that. I like to have my dogs with me when hiking in cougar country.
      My friend gave me my dog. She was born on a ranch in the hills east
      of Redding. I am told that on various occasions her parents killed
      cougars, one on one. These dogs are like dragons. They have a way
      about them. My older dog often puts my younger dog in his place.
      She swirls round to come up behind him, to put her mouth on his neck
      and take him down. Many predators have been killed by Akbash Dogs.
      The man I met when I traced my dog back to her home told me there was
      an incident near Yellowstone. Two Akbash Dogs were guarding their
      sheep, and a Grizzly Bear was found dead. The cause was determined
      to be a broken neck. Just a story. I find many stories credible,
      but that one stretches the imagination. Laurie Marker is a woman who
      has created an organization called the Cheetah Project. She has
      acquired dogs from Turkey and provided them to Africans so they will
      protect the livestock and remove the Africans' excuses for killing
      Cheetahs on sight. She reports that these dogs have killed leopards
      and babboons. If you have ever seen the teeth of a baboon, you know
      you don't monkey around with them. People in Africa consider them
      more dangerous than lions.
      > Unfortunately, Laurie got her dogs from people who mix the dogs of
      Anatolia together to create a breed called the Anatolian Shepherd.
      Mixed breed dogs are ok, but I myself prefer the unadulterated breed
      classification system for Turkish Dogs. My Akbash Dog and my Kangal
      Dog are clearly different, and the differences go beyond coloration
      or individual personalities. They have different heritages behind
      them, different qualities that have been developed through centuries
      of tradition. To adulterate the Turkish dogs in ignorance of the
      differences between them seems to me a sin. Laurie is always seeking
      donations for her cause, and I think likes cats better than dogs, so
      the efforts of people to educate her about the need to preserve
      traditional dog breeds have apparently been lost on her. She even
      tried cross-breeding her Turkish dogs to African dogs to try to get
      dogs who were better adapted to working in Namibian conditions. It
      was a disaster. The main problem is temperament. These dogs' minds
      work in very specific ways as they perform duties that humans can't
      do, with minimal supervision. When you start adulterating the
      genetics, it gets all messed up.
      > Well, I guess while I have my dogs with me, I won't get to see any
      cougars unless they tree them the way they tree bears. That's
      alright by me. Be careful out there, Bob. If you want to be
      intimate with some real wild critters, I recommend Akbash and Kangal
      Dogs. I know the breeders and what they have pretty well. However,
      I must say that these dogs are not for everyone.

    • old bob
      Message 50 of 50 , Oct 3, 2006
        I have two very good reasons to talk to self. I find
        it rewarding to talk to an intelligent person and I
        enjoy hearing an intelligent person talk. That holds
        tru for the people in this listing.

        Ruth and old bob

        --- edmond wheeler <evwheeler@...> wrote:

        > Sometimes Rosalie, When I am enjoying myself
        > everything and I mean
        > everything is sooooo funny! god bless
        > edwitness
        > >From: rosiolady@...
        > >To: GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: Re: [GnosticThought] Re: Idnentification-
        > >Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:35:34 EDT
        > >

        > >In a message dated 10/3/2006 3:52:42 A.M. Pacific
        > Standard Time,
        > >evwheeler@... writes:
        > >
        > >then when I came to know myself and love
        > >myself I seek to be alone because I prefer the
        > company. What a journey.
        > >
        > >edwitness
        > >

        > >I'm with you on this, Ed. I never bore myself and
        > seldom irritate
        > >myself:)
        > >
        > >Rosalie
        > >

        > >[Non-text portions of this message have been
        > removed]
        > >
        > Get today's hot entertainment gossip
        > http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip

        Do You Yahoo!?