GnosticThought archives post #2087: Jesus

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
      Most of you know I think Jesus was a myth. Here is what I thought
      about Jesus before I thought he was a myth. At the time this was
      posted I was using the "George" name. Note that I have also changed
      my mind about Paul.

      Life of Jesus:

      I have believed Jesus was an Enlightened One like the Buddha. He was
      in the
      process of starting a Gnostic Mystery school to show others a path to
      enlightenment. His public ministry was a fishing expedition to find
      students. The disciples were followers with potential. The
      apostles were
      chosen for the first class of the mystery school.

      Then the authorities got wind of the public part of the Jesus
      movement and
      mistakenly believed Jesus to be a political threat. They killed him.

      The apostles were nowhere ready to take over the mystery school.
      Peter and
      the others started turning it into a Jesus worshipping religion.
      Jesus, now a
      spirit, became a temporary walk in several times and tried to nudge
      them back
      towards his teachings. Not nearly advanced enough to understand, most
      just
      incorporated these incidents into the religion. Some of them, led by
      Mary
      Magdalene, broke away and became the Gnostic Christians. Their
      beliefs were
      the closest to the teachings of Jesus.

      Then Paul appeared. He threw out most of Jesus' teachings and
      invented the
      foundations of the Christianity we know today.

      George
    • mikewh_2000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
        --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, "gnostic_ken" <gnostic_ken@...>
        wrote:

        > Most of you know I think Jesus was a myth. Here is what I thought
        > about Jesus before I thought he was a myth. At the time this was
        > posted I was using the "George" name. Note that I have also changed
        > my mind about Paul.
        >
        > Ken
        >
        > Life of Jesus:
        >
        > I have believed Jesus was an Enlightened One like the Buddha. He was
        > in the
        > process of starting a Gnostic Mystery school to show others a path to
        > enlightenment. His public ministry was a fishing expedition to find
        > students. The disciples were followers with potential. The
        > apostles were
        > chosen for the first class of the mystery school.
        >
        > Then the authorities got wind of the public part of the Jesus
        > movement and
        > mistakenly believed Jesus to be a political threat. They killed him.
        >
        > The apostles were nowhere ready to take over the mystery school.
        > Peter and
        > the others started turning it into a Jesus worshipping religion.
        > Jesus, now a
        > spirit, became a temporary walk in several times and tried to nudge
        > them back
        > towards his teachings. Not nearly advanced enough to understand, most
        > just
        > incorporated these incidents into the religion. Some of them, led by
        > Mary
        > Magdalene, broke away and became the Gnostic Christians. Their
        > beliefs were
        > the closest to the teachings of Jesus.
        >
        > Then Paul appeared. He threw out most of Jesus' teachings and
        > invented the
        > foundations of the Christianity we know today.
        >
        > George

        The late Heinrich Zimmer once wrote:
        The best things in life can not be talked about because they transcend
        all Human thought and knowledge. The second best things in life to
        talk about is our attempts to talk about those things/ideas that can't
        be discussed. Finally, the third best things in life to talk about is
        everything else.

        I agree with Gnostic Ken that the 'Christ-hood' in Jesus and the
        'Budda-hood' in Budda can't be reduced to Human terms because they
        trascend all Human thought and knowledge. However, that doesn't mean
        they didn't exist as living persons as well.
        My other comment refers to the usage of the term 'Myth'. In today's
        secular
        terms, a myth is something that is a false-hood. This definition is
        the deconstruction of the mysteries in life, which secular thinking
        opposes as non-rational. I prefer the late Joseph Campbell's thinking
        regarding myth:

        "What myth does for you is to point beyond the phenomenal field toward
        the transcendent. A mythic figure is like a compass with one leg in
        the field of time and the other in the eternal. The image of a god may
        look like a human or animal form, but its reference is transcendent of
        that."
        -- Joseph Campbell
        "Pathways to Bliss"

        MikeH
      • edmond wheeler
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
          Enjoyed your post fella, As regards to the usage of the word myth I use it
          often but I could care less how others recieve it, I am not indifferent,
          just accepting others ignorance. In Pauls teachings I have found gnostic
          truth beautifuly put with the understanding that he is teaching on two
          levels at once and of course I ignore the pastorals as they are forgeries to
          foster the party line of the false catholic church (anti-self), Have a nice
          day and thank you for shopping! LOL

          edwitness