Re: [Fwd: Torturous Silence on Torture by Ray McGovern]

  • George Harvey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      Reminder:

      We avoid politics on this list. We have the GnosticPolitics list for
      that.

      George
    • Archbishop John Missing
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
        George,
        I wish to point out that this is not politics, but rather morals and
        ethics. Quoting the author's first sentence: "Where do American
        religious leaders stand on torture?" This is a moral and ethical
        question, not a political one.

        --
        Blessings,
        Archbishop John Missing
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
          wrote:

          > George,
          > I wish to point out that this is not politics, but
          > rather morals and
          > ethics. Quoting the author's first sentence: "Where
          > do American
          > religious leaders stand on torture?" This is a moral
          > and ethical
          > question, not a political one.

          "American religious leaders"
          by their own defintion
          are political.
          It has only been over the past few years
          that this has been the case.

          I saw a bumper sticker here in Nashville:
          "Jesus is definitely not a Republican."
          Then in smaller letters at the bottom:
          "...nor is he a Democrat."

          The Christian Coalition Relgious Right
          is so steeped in politics these days,
          making every political issue there is
          into being a "moral" issue, that
          I have to agree with George and conclude
          that any mention of "American religious leaders"
          is indeed political, and as such has no place
          on a list devoted to "gnosis" or to "thought",
          neither of which has anything to do with
          preaching to people in church about how to vote.

          -- Tom Ragland --
          http://www.geocities.com/gnostictom/
          Gnostic Tom's World

          http://mail.yahoo.com