Re: [GnosticThought] Re: What are we looking for?

  • Aurum
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hello Tom,

      you wrote:
      > Most religious dogma dealing in the so-called supernatural
      > may be testable someday, as you surmise, but as far as I
      > know no one has even imagined, much less designed, the
      > method or tools to investigate these propositions. That's why
      > they still reside in the scientifically "meaningless" category.
      > Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be stuck there forever.
      ~~~~~
      I watched a documentary on BBC recently entitled 'The Brain', where a
      Scientist had volunteers come in with no idea what was expected from them
      in the experiment. They were just told to say what they were experiencing.
      The Dr stimulated the frontal lobe of the brain and this woman described
      what most would judge as mystical experiences. She saw a tunnel of light,
      she 'sensed' a presence next to her. This goes a long way toward showing
      that much of the supernatural and mystical has more to do with our physical
      brain and nervous system than external causes. Of course we are affected
      chemically by our foods, the atmosphere around us, these all impact on the
      physical. I have always had leanings toward the understanding of Descartes
      in his realisation that much of human knowledge was innate; it exists
      within the brain and nervous system. Wasn't it him who went so far as to
      say that the seat of the soul is the pineal gland? As Robert Ornstien says
      in his book 'Multimind', today perhaps we have a too simplified view of
      the mind. For most the ideal mind is intellectual, unimpaired by unruly
      emotion, but it really isn't that simple.

      > However, I have a certain amount of trust that men and
      > women can develop the tools of perception to verify and
      > experience some of these "religious" propositions. And they
      > can say, yea or nay, this is so or this is not so. But these new
      > tools of perception are unique to the individuals who
      > developed them. What they experience can not be shared
      > with the rest of humanity in any conventional fashion.

      I think we are all the same, yet through self awareness and observation we
      asses/judge what we perceive of as differences between us and others. But
      our minds and personalities are changing all the time, no matter how stable
      and firm we 'think' they are. I am not the same person who woke up this
      morning, but inherently and infinitely, the essence of life is the same
      for all and always.

      On a side note I would like to add that when we associate with more
      learned, educated and intelligent people, our own skills improve, our own
      capacity for intelligence increases, that's why I hang around here with all
      of you :) I am becoming quite a clever little bunny.

      Kindest regards,

      Jenny (aurum)
    • Ginosko
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 6, 2004
        MM Kari

        I don't think you have need to appologise. You had your intent and it
        was picked up on incorrectly as it were.

        MP
        Penn

        --
        Darkness is simply the light not seen.
        Light is simply the darkness seen.

        Penn

        > I appreciate your words. I hope that my use of the word Dogma was
        > understood as I wrote it. Most of the people I know see Dogma as the
        way
        > to religion, which means nothing except that we are of like minds.
        Using
        > that which comes to us and following it when it is clearly meant for
        > Spiritual guidance instead of something written thousands of years ago
        > with an agenda is the road to Spirituality. Of course, some people
        need
        > the structured religion. I found Jesus through the traditional
        means,
        > but I met Spirit because I asked to meet her. Spirit is me on the
        other
        > side, IMHO. I have told others how this happened when asked but
        mostly my
        > path is something I give when asked for it, or else when I sense there
        is
        > someone who needs to hear it. When I say " I Sense" I am unsure if I
        mean
        > me or my Spirit because I am at a point where I need someone near
        where I
        > live to help me on my Spiritual Path. I have come a long ways but
        only
        > enough to know I have a long ways further before I can begin helping
        > others in a structure sort of way. If I sound arrogant or sure it is
        how
        > I write. I have had many people on many subjects tell me I write as
        if I
        > am saying that this is the only answer, instead of a suggestion or
        idea.
        > I apologize if I did that.
        >
        > Kari Ana

        ---