Re: [GnosticThought] Re: on pharmacology

  • BitsyCat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      In a message dated 01/01/2003 1:00:42AM, luminaryl@... writes:

      << Major depressants such as Thorazine, HAloperidol seem to have no affect on
      those in serious distress.

      ME: These are not majoe depressants although admittedly these have a sedating
      side effect...what u have cited are in fact anti psychotics

      BB

      Lyric

      Well yes that is one use/ However as a Major depressant thorazine ids used
      for sleep
      ( In its depressant role) As well as Nausea. and many other things
      It depends on the dose and route of Administration

      Regard sohnmoon37172aol.com
    • amthsh <amthsh@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
        Benny and I had a wonderful life. We sang and danced in the streets,
        went drinking and spent the most lovely evenings. I would awake after
        a week with benny and find that I didnt remember a thing, so strong
        was the love.

        Benny is good for sleep.
        Benny is good for fun.
        Benny is good for forgetting.
        Benny is always up for a night on the town.
        Benny is always up to stay at home.
        Benny mixes real well.
        Benny hurts to come off of.
        Benny has a high LD, so you can be really indulgent.
        Benny likes to give seizures.
        Benny cant drive a car.
        Benny cant face life.
        Benny is a weak child.

        you know what, frig benny, better to date Mary J.

        Luv and a blue for fergittin,

        Aleph

        --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, BitsyCat1@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 01/01/2003 1:00:42AM, luminaryl@y... writes:
        >
        > << Major depressants such as Thorazine, HAloperidol seem to have no
        affect on
        > those in serious distress.
        >
        > ME: These are not majoe depressants although admittedly these have
        a sedating
        > side effect...what u have cited are in fact anti psychotics
        >
        > BB
        >
        > Lyric
        > >>

        > Well yes that is one use/ However as a Major depressant thorazine
        ids used
        > for sleep
        > ( In its depressant role) As well as Nausea. and many other things
        > It depends on the dose and route of Administration
        >
        > Regard sohnmoon37172aol.com
      • Lyric
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
          K...ummm love the drug or "qualude" kinda influence?
          "amthsh <amthsh@...>" <amthsh@...> wrote:Benny and I had a wonderful life. We sang and danced in the streets,
          went drinking and spent the most lovely evenings. I would awake after
          a week with benny and find that I didnt remember a thing, so strong
          was the love.

          Benny is good for sleep.
          Benny is good for fun.
          Benny is good for forgetting.
          Benny is always up for a night on the town.
          Benny is always up to stay at home.
          Benny mixes real well.
          Benny hurts to come off of.
          Benny has a high LD, so you can be really indulgent.
          Benny likes to give seizures.
          Benny cant drive a car.
          Benny cant face life.
          Benny is a weak child.

          you know what, frig benny, better to date Mary J.

          Luv and a blue for fergittin,

          Aleph

          --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, BitsyCat1@a... wrote:

          > In a message dated 01/01/2003 1:00:42AM, luminaryl@y... writes:
          >
          > << Major depressants such as Thorazine, HAloperidol seem to have no
          affect on
          > those in serious distress.
          >
          > ME: These are not majoe depressants although admittedly these have
          a sedating
          > side effect...what u have cited are in fact anti psychotics
          >
          > BB
          >
          > Lyric
          > >>

          > Well yes that is one use/ However as a Major depressant thorazine
          ids used
          > for sleep
          > ( In its depressant role) As well as Nausea. and many other things
          > It depends on the dose and route of Administration
          >
          > Regard sohnmoon37172aol.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          "It is not having lived in the dark house, but having left it that matters"

        • Lyric

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
              Hi lyric,

              I was actually trying to demonstrate a negative experiance with Xanax.
              I dont like benny at all. It ranks on the same level as alcohol,
              cocaine and opiates, atleast in my book. All quite destructive,

              Overall, I am very down on the products the pharmakutikal kompanies
              push. I often speculated that if THC could only be produced in a
              petri dish, then it would be copyrighted, produced and prescribed for
              a variety of ailments, anxiety being one of them.

              ALeph

              --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, Lyric <luminaryl@y...> wrote:

              > K...ummm love the drug or "qualude" kinda influence?
              > "amthsh <amthsh@y...>" <amthsh@y...> wrote:Benny and I had a
              wonderful life. We sang and danced in the streets,
              > went drinking and spent the most lovely evenings. I would awake
              after
              > a week with benny and find that I didnt remember a thing, so strong
              > was the love.
              >
              > Benny is good for sleep.
              > Benny is good for fun.
              > Benny is good for forgetting.
              > Benny is always up for a night on the town.
              > Benny is always up to stay at home.
              > Benny mixes real well.
              > Benny hurts to come off of.
              > Benny has a high LD, so you can be really indulgent.
              > Benny likes to give seizures.
              > Benny cant drive a car.
              > Benny cant face life.
              > Benny is a weak child.
              >
              > you know what, frig benny, better to date Mary J.
              >
              > Luv and a blue for fergittin,
              >
              > Aleph
              >

              > --- In GnosticThought@yahoogroups.com, BitsyCat1@a... wrote:
              > >
              > > In a message dated 01/01/2003 1:00:42AM, luminaryl@y... writes:
              > >
              > > << Major depressants such as Thorazine, HAloperidol seem to have
              no
              > affect on
              > > those in serious distress.
              > >
              > > ME: These are not majoe depressants although admittedly these
              have
              > a sedating
              > > side effect...what u have cited are in fact anti psychotics
              > >
              > > BB
              > >
              > > Lyric
              > > >>

              > > Well yes that is one use/ However as a Major depressant
              thorazine
              > ids used
              > > for sleep
              > > ( In its depressant role) As well as Nausea. and many other things
              > > It depends on the dose and route of Administration
              > >
              > > Regard sohnmoon37172aol.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              >

              > To unsubscribe from this list send a message to: GnosticThought-
              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Service.

              > "It is not having lived in the dark house, but having left it that
              matters"

            • Judi Schneider
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                Hi Aleph,
                I am *with* you on the destructiveness of the drugs you listed and probably quite a bit more. I always listen to these sort of conversations never quite sure if I should hop in or not. For many years, probably around 15, I was an addict and alcholic. I haven't touched anything for 16 years now and still work to put my life back together from all that destruction. Today I believe those years were a spiritual search just as intense as the one I'm on today - just a little misguided.
                While I know that not everyone would have the physical reaction to drugs and alcohol that I did, I find things like legalization and needle exchanges difficult topics - my perspective is a bit different than most I guess. (As an aside, I do believe in the decriminalization of marijuana - having done social work in the jails and seeing what drug charges have done to our prison population. But that's another soapbox for another day!)
                So...thanks for speaking up and saying you meant to portray the destructiveness. I saw it in your writing, but I could also see how it could be miscontrued as romanticizing the drug.
                Peace,
                Judi
                "amthsh <amthsh@...>" <amthsh@...> wrote:Hi lyric,

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                  In a message dated 01/03/2003 6:44:39AM, amthsh@... writes:

                  << THC could only be produced in a
                  petri dish, then it would be copyrighted, produced and prescribed for
                  a variety of ailments, anxiety being one of them.

                  THC and its derivatives kill brain cells, as does alcohol Over time
                  were as at first it appears to make no difference the long run these can
                  destroy your mind
                  Regards johnmoon3717@...
                • amthsh <amthsh@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 4, 2003
                    Hi John Moon,
                    93

                    Hog wash. THC does not cause death of cells, although it does cause
                    some changes in the cell walls. I include a article written about
                    Benzodiazapine however, a very skeery article

                    93's

                    Aleph

                    :

                    Tranquillisers 'more lethal than heroin'

                    The Observer, Sunday, November 5, 2000
                    by Tracy McVeigh

                    THEY were the discovery of the age, mother's little helper, the pre-
                    Prozac twentieth-century wonderdrugs, and routinely handed out by GPs
                    to depressed, anxious patients. But since they came on the market in
                    the late fifties, tens of thousands of people have become addicted to
                    them and hundreds have died.

                    Last week an international conference of scientists and campaigners
                    called for a rethink of the use of a group of tranquilliser drugs
                    known as benzodiazepines. Campaigners now believe that for 20 years
                    pharmaceutical companies deliberately withheld research data that
                    would have highlighted the drugs more dangerous effects.

                    At 14, Sue Bibby suffered recurrent nightmares that were so
                    distressing she went to a doctor who prescribed Valium, a
                    benzodiazepine. For 23 years and in two pregnancies, Sue was
                    unwittingly addicted to the tranquilliser. It was against medical
                    advice that she decided to stop taking Valium seven years ago. 'The
                    withdrawal was horrific, utterly awful. It took me years to regain
                    the cognitive abilities I had been living without since I was a
                    child,' she said.

                    Now 44, Sue believes the doctors who prescribed the drugs were wrong
                    and that at least one of her children has suffered long-term
                    effects. 'My GP told me taking Valium while pregnant was safe. Now I
                    find scientific research has shown that not to be the case. My son
                    has suffered behavioural problems that may be due to the drugs I
                    took, or to the fact that my parenting skills were inhibited by the
                    chemical cosh I was under,' she said.

                    Sue is one of millions of people who have become addicted to, and
                    damaged by, the tranquillisers. Campaigners want the drugs
                    reclassified to reflect how dangerous they are. Between 1990 and 1996
                    benzodiazepine drugs caused 1,810 deaths and the class-A drugs
                    cocaine, heroin and methadone caused only 1,623 deaths. Yet
                    benzodiazepines remain categorised as class-C drugs.

                    The conference on the dangers of drugs was held in the UK to mark the
                    launch of a campaign that calls for a full inquiry into the
                    widespread use of benzodiazepines over the past 40 years and for
                    compensation and help for those who became addicted, often for many
                    years.

                    Last year an attempt to take a group court action against two
                    pharmaceutical companies failed due to withdrawal of legal aid. A
                    test case by businessman Iain Caldwell is due before the Scottish
                    courts early next year.

                    The conference, attended by scientists from the US, Sweden, New
                    Zealand, Belgium, South Africa and the UK, heard from those who blame
                    pharmaceutical companies that, until recently, did not make available
                    in this country the full data on side-effects which were available in
                    the US. Consequently, when side effects were reported by patients to
                    GPs, they were mistaken for worsening symptoms and doses of drugs
                    often increased.

                    Phil Woolas, MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth, who chaired the
                    conference, became involved in the 'anti-benzos' campaign after one
                    of his constituents told him of the brain damage he had suffered
                    after 10 years of addiction to Lorazepam.

                    'Benzodiazepines are the iceberg of despair for millions,' Woolas
                    said. 'Official figures show that 17 million prescriptions were made
                    last year, despite persistent medical advice regarding their dangers.
                    I hope to highlight the injustice suffered by people taking these
                    drugs.'

                    In 1994 the Department of Health issued guidelines on prevention of
                    benzodiazepine dependence, yet many GPs are ignoring the advice.
                    There is widespread failure to adhere to the 1988 Committee of Safety
                    of Medicines guidelines to prescribe them for no more than four weeks.

                    Charles Medawar, of Social Audit Ltd, who spoke at the conference,
                    says: 'Dependence on benzodiazepines remains a huge and neglected
                    problem, all the more serious because it could have been avoided.

                    'The lessons have yet to be learned...It is really an indictment of
                    the medical establishment's failure to listen to users.'

                    Drugs and Dangers

                    What are benzodiazepines?

                    A large group of commonly prescribed tranquillisers including Xanax,
                    Lexotan, Librium, Klonopin, Tranxene, Valium, Rohypnol, Dalmane,
                    Dormonoct, Ativan, Temazepam, Halcion.

                    How many people are given these drugs every year?

                    Seventeen million people were legally prescribed benzodiazepines in
                    1999. They are normally given to people suffering from anxiety
                    conditions, particularly panic disorder, general anxiety and
                    sometimes - as with Klonopin - epilepsy. They are also muscle
                    relaxants.

                    How many get addicted?

                    Campaigners say addiction can follow 14 days' regular use
                    at 'therapeutic levels'. They say there is a 50 per cent chance of
                    developing dependency after six months' use and after a year it is
                    highly likely.