Rev. George Gillespie of Head of Christiana Church, Delaware

  • lairdkinna
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2012
      HELP NEEDED FOR A SPECIAL PROJECT --

      Our project needs to locate a living male Gillespie descendant of the REV. GEORGE GILLESPIE of Head of Christiana Church in Newark, New Castle Co. Delaware.

      I am willing to place $100 in the Gillespie DNA Project Group Fund toward any Gillespie related DNA test (you can test another Gillespie cousin or upgrade a current kit) to anyone that researches this line and can provide solid documentation to a living male Gillespie descendant of the REV. GEORGE GILLESPIE of Head of Christiana Church who died in 1760.

      I will place an additional $50 in the Group fund for anyone that locates a solidly documented living male descendant that takes the Y-DNA test for our project.

      Please email me directly if you are interested in this Rev. George Gillespie project.

      Connie McKenzie – Gillespie DNA Project Volunteer (lairdkinna@...)

      This is the will abstract information about Rev. George Gillespie of Head of Christiana Church.

      Only two sons were mentioned in this will –
      #1 son Samuel died unmarried
      #2 son George married and had children including a son named George

      Name: George Gillespie
      Will Made Date: 25 Nov 1758
      Will Probate Date: 30, Jan. 1760
      Will Book: Misc
      Page: 1.142
      Comment: Minister;
      Son, Samuel Gillespie;
      wife;
      daus Hannah, Elizabeth, Agness Gillespie;
      son, George Gillespie;
      grandson, George Wallace;
      granddau., Mary Armitage;
      grandchild, George Gillespie;
      granddau., Rebekah Armitage;
      son-in-law, Joseph Wallace, and Mary;
      son-in-law, Samuel Armitage, and his spouse, Martha;
      two granddaus Rebekah and Elizabeth Blair.
      Exc. wife, Rebekah Gillespie; son, Samuel Gillespie.

      Source Information:
      Ancestry.com. New Castle County, Delaware Wills, 1682-1800 [database online]. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2000. Original data: A Calendar of Delaware Wills, New Castle County, 1682-1800. Wilmington, DE: - , 1911.

      http://sdss4.physics.lsa.umich.edu:8080/~mckay/amckay/presbiog.htm#Rev.%20George%20Gillespie
      Copied from this internet site on Oct. 16, 2004 CKM

      Rev. George Gillespie (1683-1760)
      He was born in 1683, in the town of Glasgow, and educated in the University there. He was licensed by Glasgow Presbytery, early in 1712, and came to New England in the Spring. He first settled at Woodbridge. He was ordained May 28th, 1713, having received a call from the people of White Clay Creek. Red Clay, Lower Brandywine and Elk River, besides White Clay, seem to have formed his charge for several years. He is said to have organized the congregation of the Head of Christiana, and he served it till his death, which occurred January 2d, 1760. Mr. Gillespie was zealous for the interests of the Church, and was remarkably punctual in attendance on Presbytery and Synod.

      Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      1100 Church Road
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware USA
      Postal Code: 19711
      Phone: 302-731-4169
      http://www.headofchristiana.org/

      http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=gillespie&GSfn=george&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=10&GScnty=314&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=14145064&df=all&

      Rev George Gillespie
      Birth: unknown
      Death: Jan. 2, 1760
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: TomKat
      Record added: May 02, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14145064

      George Gillespie – son of Rev. George Gillespie?
      Signed Oath of Fidelity. Son of Rev. George Gillespie.
      Birth: 1722
      Death: Aug. 17, 1796
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright
      Record added: May 25, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14406739

      George Gillespie – grandson of Rev. George Gillespie?
      Birth: 1743
      Death: May 31, 1831
      In Lt. Thos. Rankin's Co.
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright
      Record added: May 25, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14406731

      George Gillespie - child
      Inscription:
      son of ? & ? very poor weathered condition stone....
      Birth: 1855
      Death: 1862
      In Lt. Thos. Rankin's Co.
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: The Guardian (inactive)
      Record added: Jul 01, 2007
      Find A Grave Memorial# 20195672

      Samuel Gillespie
      (Samuel Gillespie is the unmarried son of Rev. George Gillespie – Head of Christiana Church – ckm)
      Birth: unknown
      Death: Aug. 25, 1766
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright
      Record added: May 25, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14406749

      Elizabeth Gillespie
      (This Elizabeth Gillespie is most likely the unmarried daughter of Rev. George Gillespie – Head of Christiana Church – ckm)
      Birth: unknown
      Death: Feb. 27, 1772
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright
      Record added: May 25, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14406728

      Martha Armitage
      (This Martha Armitage is most likely the daughter of Rev. George Gillespie – Head of Christiana Church that married Samuel Armitage – ckm)
      Birth: unknown
      Death: Nov. 7, 1772
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright
      Record added: May 20, 2006
      Find A Grave Memorial# 14340691

      http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=14406739

      Photo of historical marker listing Revolutionary War Patriots in Head of Christiana Cemetery – include GEORGE GILLESPIE, GEORGE GILLESPIE (son), JOHN GILLESPY

      Corp John Gillespy
      (Unknown relationship to other Gillespies in Head of Christiana Church Cemetery – ckm)
      Birth: unknown
      Death: unknown
      Burial: Head of Christiana Church Cemetery
      Newark
      New Castle County
      Delaware, USA
      Created by: Richard Wright