  • sandy salyers
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2011

      Hello all, I am Sandra Salyers. My Gillespie line of descent:
      Thomas R Gillespie (1795-1853) Smyth, Virginia and first wife (name unknown) in 1840 married Kencanon
      Reese A Gillespie (1828-1870) and Sarah Hanshew (1829-1880) Smyth Virginia, Pike, Kentucky
      David Reese Gillespie (1864-1935) and Matilda Hatfield (1863-1934) Missouri, Pike, Kentucky and Greenup, Kentucky
      Stella Mae Gillespie (1890-1959) and Granvill Salyer (1883-1973) Johnson Kentucky and Greenup, Kentucky
      James Robert Salyers (1922-1975) and Goldie Lucretia Rice (1925-2005) Greenup, Kentucky and Boyd, Kentucky
      I am hoping to have a male Gillespie cousin join the DNA study in the near future. Also hoping to find others from this discussion group that descend from this Gillespie line. Thank you for allowing me to join your group.
    • Connie
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2011
        Hi Sandy,

        Linage info sent to me has Reese A. Gillespie as a direct descendant of William Gillespie and Mary (poss. Clendenning). William Gillespie belongs to DNA Group 2.

        FTDNA is planning a holiday kit discount to be announced soon and going through the end of the year.  Hopefully you can find a cousin to take the DNA test.  Please select the oldest male available if you have options.

        We don't know kits/prices yet for the discount - I'll let everyone know as soon as it is announced.

        Cheers,
        Connie McKenzie - Gillespie DNA Project admin

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2011
          Thank you for your information. I have located our oldest living Gillespie cousin in the area and will order the kit when the Holiday rate is announced.
        • lairdkinna
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
            I do have a handwritten Group 2 chart for brothers Robert Gillespie who m. Ann Russell and William Gillespie who m. Mary (believed by many to be Clendenning) made for Gillaspy kit 66986. The chart was prepared by a professional genealogist back in 1987.

            This chart has Reece A. Gillespie as a son of Robert Gillespie bc 1786 where you have him as as a son of Thomas R. Gillespie b. 1795. The chart that was sent to me does list a Russell Thomas Gillespie bc 1796 as a brother of Robert. So your Thomas R. and this Russell Thomas might be the same person - it just means that this leads to a question of the actual father of Reece A. Gillespie. As I don't have source info and the chart was done so long ago - possibly you have more up to date/accurate info.

            At any rate, a DNA test will determine if he is part of Group 2.

            Connie

            -------------------------------------

            Here is the direct lineage for Reece A. Gillespie from the chart. There is no source info.

            Lineage
            1. William Gillaspy m. Mary (believed by many to be Mary Clendenning)
            2. James Gillespie b. @1761 Augusta Co. VA d. Aug. 18, 1834, went to Montgomery, now Smyth Co. VA before 1787. No wife listed.
            3. Robert Gillespie bc 1786 Montgomery now Smyth Co. VA d. Dec. 15, 1858. Married BAKER or HAYTER (two names listed, but I can't read the writing for the 2nd so might be HAYT--
            4. Reece A. Gillespie m. 1848 to Sally Henshaw in Wythe Co. (no state given so assume VA as it is next to Smyth Co.) "Went to So. Mo." (southern Missouri I assume) bef. 1860 where Reese and Sally died in an epidemic leaving 4 sons who went back to Smyth Co. VA
            5. Andrew, Jacob, David, William R. Gillespie

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
              The old chart says that Isabella Gillespie b. 1761 (dau. of Robert Gillespie and Ann Russel m. her first cousin James Gillespie bc 1761 (son of William Gillespie and Mary) If this is accurate, it would explain why the Russell name appears in the descendants of William Gillespie through his son James.

              If anyone can confirm or debunk this chart - please lend us a hand.

              Connie

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2011
                James Gillespie's will written 2/26/1833 and filed in court Sept 18, 1834 Smyth Co., Virginia. List his wife Isabelle, sons Thomas R, James, William, Elijah, Matthew, & Robert,
                 Daughters Jane, Polly, Sallie and Isabelle. Thomas R was to get 2/3 of the land and the other 1/3 when Isabelle died. Thomas R. was still living on the land in the 1850 Smyth Co. census. The four children he had with Nancy Kincannon were still living in the household as well as Reese A and Sallie Hanshew Gillespie and their son Andrew J. In the 1840 Smyth Co. Virginia Census Thomas R. had 1 male under 10 years and 1 male 10-15  years in his household. Both too old to be the children of Kincanon. Reese and Sallie were married 11/29/1848 in Wythe, Virginia. In 1860 Reese and Sallie were living in Pike Co. Ky. Their son David Reese Gillespie was born there in 1865. Reese A and Sallie had died before the 1870 census. In 1870 their son Andrew J was living in Tazwell, Virginia with his uncle Peter Hanshew. Son David Reese was living in the household of James John and Lucinda McCowan Gillespie. In the 1860 census David Reese and Sallie were living next door to this family. Most researchers list James John as the son of Matthew and Lucinda (Lucy) Gillespie who moved to Pike, Kentucky about 1830. from Smyth, Virginia. Thought to be the Matthew listed in the will of James and Isabelle Gillespie. In the 1860 census the 4 children of Thomas R. and Kincannon were living in the household of Matthew Kincannon in Smyth, Virginia. David Reese (1865) married Matilda Hatfield in 1885 in Floyd, Kentucky. They moved to Greenup, Kentucky about 1900. He lived there on Culp Creek until his death in 1935. His death certificate is typed listing his parents as Pete (Rece) and Sallie Hanshew Gillespie. His obituary in the Ashland Daily Independent listed parents as Rece and Sallie Hanshew Gillespie. Before locating his death certificate and obituary I too thought he was the son of James John and Lucinda. My grandmother Stella Mae Gillespie was the middle child of David Reese and Matilda. She knew her father had been orphaned at an early age. They made a few trips back to Floyd and Pike county to visit the family but lost touch with the others after a few years of raising large families of their own. Two of the grandsons of David Reese and Matilda live to be over 90 years old. Both died in the early part of this year.