FTDNA offers Y-DNA upgrade from 67 to 111 markers

  • lairdkinna
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 4:39 PM
      Hi Everyone,

      The link below will take you to information about the just announced Y-DNA upgrade to 111 markers. If your kit is already at 67 markers you can order the upgrade from 67 to 111 markers for $101.00. If your kit is at 37 markers, you must first order the upgrade to 67 markers at $99, then later order the upgrade from 67 to 111 markers for $101.00.

      To order the upgrade go to your FTDNA PERSONAL PAGE and click on ORDER TESTS & UPGRADES - click on GO TO STANDARD ORDERS and select Yrefine67to111 for $101 from the drop-down box.

      FTDNA is also allowing the purchase of brand new 111 marker kits for $339.00.

      Please read the FAQ information from FTDNA in the link below about the upgrade to 111 markers before ordering. It appears that this upgrade may be most helpful to 67 marker matches that are exact or very close. The additional markers may help to separate family branches.

      I have ordered the 67 to 111 upgrade for my McKenzie brother's DNA kit.

      Please email me if you have questions,
      Connie McKenzie - volunteer project administrator
      lairdkinna@...

      http://www.familytreedna.com/emails/2011/03/033011_Y111.aspx
    • g@texasrock.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5 7:32 PM

        I am so displeased with the level of service I have received from FTDNA that I am not sure I will do business with them again.

        Is it just me?

        Best Regards

        Bruce Gillispie

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5 7:41 PM
          I am sorry but I feel it don't show anything more for genealogy.  If you have to prove everything to them why do the tests???
          It seems like a big scam.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5 8:26 PM
            Hello Tina,

            The purpose of doing DNA testing is to prove the Y-DNA signature of specific Gillespie lines. Without documentation of a lineage the Y-DNA results aren't of much use.

            If a testee can prove only to their grandfather then that is where the lineage ends as far as this project is concerned. Testees cannot claim ancestors that they can't prove via primary source documentation.

            If a testee can only prove to their grandfather, but they match a well documented Gillespie line with documentation going back much further, then we can search documents and try to make the connection. Sometimes we succeed and sometimes the connection eludes us.

            If a testee claims descent from a previously untested Gillespie line going back two or three hundred years, then documentation of that line is essential. And if someone else or the Group Fund has paid for a test based on claims of documentation for that lineage then documentation is expected.

            Your family member was tested and was not a match to any of our previously tested Gillespie lines. That much has been proven.

            Connie