Gillespie Group 3

  • lairdkinna
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2011
      Hi Group 3,

      Do any of you have this lineage in your research. I just received a message from a descendant who believes this is his line of descent. Would this be a branch that is yet unproven through DNA tests?

      Connie

      Joseph Gillespie - Died 1812 married ?
      William Gillespie - b. 1794 married Lavinia Castleberry
      Jerry Gillespie - b. 1838 married Tincey Smith
      Butler Gillespie - b. 1869
    • lairdkinna
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2011
        I just found BUTLER b.1869 in the lineage for this kit.

        Connie

        DNA TEST KIT #67845

        Generations:
        #1 WILLIAM GILLESPIE b. abt. 1794/95 in NC m. LAVINIA CASTLEBERRY
        #2 JEREMIAH MILES (Big Jerry) GILLESPIE b. June 1838, Anderson Co., SC, married ca 1856, Anderson Co., SC to TINCEY SMITH b. May 1836, dau. of William Robert Smith and Catherine Chandler. 1870 Census, JEREMIAH is in Belton, SC. 1880 Census, he is in Central, SC. They both died after 1900.
        CHILDREN:
        1. America Gillespie, b. Sept 1856 in SC
        2. Lawrence Oliver Gillespie, b. 26 Sep 1858
        3. Mary Gillespie, b. 1859 in SC
        4. Jeremiah Doyle Gillespie, b. 7 May 1865 in SC
        5. Vester Gillespie, b. 1867 in SC
        6. Butler G. Gillespie, b. Sep 1869
        7. James Castleberry Gillespie, b. Feb. 1870 in SC
        8. Tecoa Gillespie, b. 14 Apr 1871
        9. Dolphus Miles (Dock) Gillespie, b. 26 Jan 1873 in SC
        10. Minnie Mary Gillespie, b. 1880 in SC
        ……
        #3 JEREMIAH "Little Jerry" DOYLE GILLESPIE b. May 7, 1865, Anderson Co. SC, d. June 29, 1929, Anderson Co. SC, married FLORENCE CAROLINA PITTS b. Jan. 21, 1871, d. Mar. 27, 1952. Both are buried in the Flat Rock Baptist Church Cemetery, Liberty, Pickens Co., SC.

        --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "lairdkinna" <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group 3,
        >
        > Do any of you have this lineage in your research. I just received a message from a descendant who believes this is his line of descent. Would this be a branch that is yet unproven through DNA tests?
        >
        > Connie
        >
        > Joseph Gillespie - Died 1812 married ?
        > William Gillespie - b. 1794 married Lavinia Castleberry
        > Jerry Gillespie - b. 1838 married Tincey Smith
        > Butler Gillespie - b. 1869

      • Helen Austin
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2011
          No connection to our Gillespies of Lawrence Co, AL, that I know of.

          However our Henderson/Bonds connection of Gwinett Co, GA and Winston Co, AL had Castleberry families living in the vicinity and at least one marriage.  Some Castleberrys of N. GA and SC were said to have intermarried with Cherokee before 1830 and the removal.

          Good luck,  H.  A.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2011
            Yes these are group 3 ancestors.
            Marty

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6 7:53 PM

              #1 WILLIAM GILLESPIE b. abt. 1794/95 in NC m. LAVINIA CASTLEBERRY
              #2 JEREMIAH MILES (Big Jerry) GILLESPIE b. June 1838, Anderson Co., SC, married ca 1856, Anderson Co., SC to TINCEY SMITH b. May 1836, dau. of William Robert Smith and Catherine Chandler. 1870 Census, JEREMIAH is in Belton, SC. 1880 Census, he is in Central, SC. They both died after 1900.
              CHILDREN:
              1. America Gillespie, b. Sept 1856 in SC
              2. Lawrence Oliver Gillespie, b. 26 Sep 1858
              3. Mary Gillespie, b. 1859 in SC
              4. Jeremiah Doyle Gillespie, b. 7 May 1865 in SC
              5. Vester Gillespie, b. 1867 in SC
              6. Butler G. Gillespie, b. Sep 1869
              7. James Castleberry Gillespie, b. Feb. 1870 in SC
              8. Tecoa Gillespie, b. 14 Apr 1871
              9. Dolphus Miles (Dock) Gillespie, b. 26 Jan 1873 in SC
              10. Minnie Mary Gillespie, b. 1880 in SC
              ……
              #3 JEREMIAH "Little Jerry" DOYLE GILLESPIE b. May 7, 1865, Anderson Co. SC, d. June 29, 1929, Anderson Co. SC, married FLORENCE CAROLINA PITTS b. Jan. 21, 1871, d. Mar. 27, 1952. Both are buried in the Flat Rock Baptist Church Cemetery, Liberty, Pickens Co., SC.

              --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "lairdkinna" <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

              > Hi Group 3,
              >
              > Do any of you have this lineage in your research. I just received a message from a descendant who believes this is his line of descent. Would this be a branch that is yet unproven through DNA tests?
              >
              > Connie
              >
              > Joseph Gillespie - Died 1812 married ?
              > William Gillespie - b. 1794 married Lavinia Castleberry
              > Jerry Gillespie - b. 1838 married Tincey Smith
              > Butler Gillespie - b. 1869

              Connie,

              Our branch in TX is descended from Jeremiah's brother, William Young Gillespie/Glaspy (b. 1834) and his wife Nancy Emeline Durham.  Although born in Anderson Co. South Carolina, he moved to DeKalb Co. Alabama in 1876.    He is buried in Warren Cemetery, not too far form Ft. Payne.

              Sugar Glaspy (Mrs. William Miles "Bill" Glaspy).