Re: for Sharon Harris

  • Karyn Garvin
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
      Have DNA tests been submitted by know male line descendants of Silas?
      I am a descendant of the Hannah Agnes Gillespie listed below, a daughter of Silas.
      Do we know for sure what Gillespies were Silas' and James' ancestors?  I have James born abt. 1740 and Margaret as listed below, but beyond that I am unsure.  I am very new at all this.
      I have seen at least 13 trees on ancestry.com (which we all know can be full of swiss cheese holes!!!) where James' parents are listed as Thomas Gillaspy/Gillespie and Naomi Thompson, but the birthplaces do not coincide with the history we have had given to us about the Bluford Island birth of Silas or even the birthplaces of James and Margaret.   I've seen tons of information about Thomas and Naomi all over this board, so I'm confident someone here can point me in the right direction :)

      Any help you can provide would be so appreciated !
      Thanks,
      Karyn

      --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Connie McKenzie <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > 2. WILLIAM2 GILLESPIE, IMMIGRANT (GILLESPIE1) was born Bet. 1715 - 1720 in Scotland or Ireland, and died Abt. 1801 in Possibly Pendleton Dist. South Carolina. He married MARY.
      > Child of WILLIAM GILLESPIE and MARY is:
      > 4. i. JOHN3 GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1753; d. Abt. 1822, E. Fork Transylvania Co. North Carolina.
      >
      > 3. ROBERT2 GILLESPIE, IMMIGRANT (GILLESPIE1) was born in Scotland or Ireland. He married UNKNOWN.
      > Child of ROBERT GILLESPIE and UNKNOWN is:
      > 5. i. JAMES3 GILLESPIE.
      >
      > Generation No. 3
      > 4. JOHN3 GILLESPIE (WILLIAM2, GILLESPIE1) was born Abt. 1753, and died Abt. 1822 in E. Fork Transylvania Co. North Carolina. He married JANE HARVEY.
      > More About JOHN GILLESPIE:
      > Occupation: Gun Maker
      > Children of JOHN GILLESPIE and JANE HARVEY are:
      > i. MATHEW4 GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1788; d. Abt. 1871, Mills River, Henderson Co., North Carolina; m. ELIZABETH SITTON.
      > More About MATHEW GILLESPIE:
      > Occupation: Gun Maker
      > ii. ISABEL GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1796; d. Abt. 1880; m. LAWRENCE SITTON.
      > 6. iii. WILLIAM GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1785; d. Abt. 1851.
      >
      > 5. JAMES3 GILLESPIE (ROBERT2, GILLESPIE1) He married UNKNOWN.
      > Child of JAMES GILLESPIE and UNKNOWN is:
      > 7. i. GEORGE4 GILLASPY, b. Virginia or Kentucky; d. Indiana.
      >
      > Generation No. 4
      > 6. WILLIAM4 GILLESPIE (JOHN3, WILLIAM2, GILLESPIE1) was born Abt. 1785, and died Abt. 1851. He married MILBERRY "MILLIE" DAVIS.
      > More About WILLIAM GILLESPIE:
      > Occupation: Gun Maker
      > Child of WILLIAM GILLESPIE and MILBERRY DAVIS is:
      > 8. i. JOHN HARVEY5 GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1810; d. Abt. 1891, Mills River, Henderson Co., North Carolina.
      >
      > 7. GEORGE4 GILLASPY (JAMES3 GILLESPIE, ROBERT2, GILLESPIE1) was born in Virginia or Kentucky, and died in Indiana. He married UNKNOWN.
      > Notes for GEORGE GILLASPY:
      > GEORGE GILLASPY went back and forth between Virginia and Kentucky and eventually settled in Indiana. His generation was the first to use the spelling GILLASPY.
      > Child of GEORGE GILLASPY and UNKNOWN is:
      > 9. i. MILES5 GILLASPY, b. Indiana; d. Indiana.
      >
      > Generation No. 5
      > 8. JOHN HARVEY5 GILLESPIE (WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, GILLESPIE1) was born Abt. 1810, and died Abt. 1891 in Mills River, Henderson Co., North Carolina. He married SARAH "SALLIE" GILLESPIE, 1ST COUSIN.
      > Child of JOHN GILLESPIE and SARAH GILLESPIE is:
      > 10. i. HARVEY NEWTON6 GILLESPIE, b. Abt. 1843; d. Abt. 1908.
      >
      > 9. MILES5 GILLASPY (GEORGE4, JAMES3 GILLESPIE, ROBERT2, GILLESPIE1) was born in Indiana, and died in Indiana. He married UNKNOWN.
      > Child of MILES GILLASPY and UNKNOWN is:
      > 11. i. MALE6 GILLASPY.
      >
      > Generation No. 6
      > 10. HARVEY NEWTON6 GILLESPIE (JOHN HARVEY5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, WILLIAM2, GILLESPIE1) was born Abt. 1843, and died Abt. 1908. He married MARY EMILY ORR.
      > 11. MALE6 GILLASPY (MILES5, GEORGE4, JAMES3 GILLESPIE, ROBERT2, GILLESPIE1)

    • Connie
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2010
        Hi Karen,

        Yes there are a lot of mistakes in many of the genealogies posted at Ancestry.  Many of them declare siblings for Thomas Gillespie who married Naomi Thompson and some even claim the names of his parents.  But I can tell you that even today, no siblings or parents for Thomas have been proven.  And there has been no record found as yet to document where Thomas was born - either in America or Ulster - or when he came to America if he was born in Ulster.  Or if he was born in Scotland.  DNA matches with other families all go back to Ulster - counties Armagh, Tyrone and Down. There is a match to one family that remained in Co. Down and claim to have escaped from Scotland to Co. Down @ 1715, but even they don't know where their family was in Scotland.

        If you go to the Y-RESULTS page for the Gillespie DNA Project and look at GROUP 1, you will see the families that are proven via DNA to be connected to Thomas Gillespie who married Naomi Thompson.  We were surprised by many of the matches.

        Unfortunately for Gillespie researchers - especially those families that arrived during colonial times - those Gillespie families mostly came here from Ulster and gave their children similar first names.  This is one of the main reasons that genealogies prior to our DNA findings claimed that all of those early Gillespies were cousins.  And it also gave rise to the mix-up in genealogies.

        These early Gillespies mostly came from Ulster, arrived in America, then followed similar migration paths.  But they were separate Y-DNA family lines.  Thomas Gillespie who married Naomi Thompson is not related to the family of the Gillespie Rifle Makers - our DNA GROUP 2.  And there are numerous other early Gillespie lines that have not been a match to these two well researched families.

        Thomas and Naomi were in Augusta Co. VA, then Rowan Co. NC by 1745.  They did have a son named James.  He was born @ 1745, married Jane Graham and d. 1787 in Tennessee.  My ancestors are Thomas and Naomi through their son George b. 1751 who married Mary Graham.  George and Mary are buried in Sumner Co. TN.

        We have done what we can with DNA to sort out the main families, but some are still lacking DNA tests.  All I can do is suggest that you do your best to find a documented male Gillespie descendant of your James and Margaret and their son Silas and ask them to take the DNA test.  And I would recommend that you find more than one descendant to test, as far from each other as possible, so the two tests can confirm each other.  Unrecorded adoptions, etc. can throw us a curve when we get DNA results.

        Connie