Re: [GillespieDNAProject_discussion] Group 2 Gillespie family

  • Sherry Gulla
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 29, 2010
      Hi,
      Yes the Gillespie I am connected to Are believed to have come from Ireland to Va-WV to Ky and SC..They went all over..
      Keep me informed please..
      Thanks
      Sherry

      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 29, 2010
        Hi Mark,

        I am directly descended from the Gillespie families of Highland Co.,OH. Hugh is my GGGG Grand Father.
        Hugh Gillespie (c1776-1846)
        Thomas Gillespie (1799-1854)
        John E Gillespie (1823-1884)
        John E Gillespie (1861-1921)
        Don E Gillespie (1895-1975)
        My Father
        Me

        I believe I have pretty good documentation back to Hugh. I suspected Thomas Sr. to be his father, but have not yet been able to get definitive proof. However, we (my wife and I) have records of Thomas Sr. dying in Green Twp., Clinton Co., Oh in 1816 and is supposed to be buried near Wilmington, Oh.

        I would really like to exchange information with you. It sounds like we must be cousins.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 29, 2010
          THERE you are, Mark!  I thought we'd lost you.  Great to "see" you again!

          Kerry in Ohio,
          (group 2 cousin...closely related to Don, below and Earl)...still stuck on Hugh in Highland County, OH and his father (maybe), Thomas.  Absolutely swimming in research documents without the time to go through them right now.  ARGH!

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 2, 2010
            Yes, I suspect that the connection is closer than one might think. My ancestor (William Alexander Gillespie, Sr.; picture in the photos section under I1A Group; son of John Gillespie) moved to Highland County almost immediately after arriving in the states and lived next door to a McConnaughey family that had an orphaned descendant of the Hugh Gillespie line living with them. His future wife (Harriet Main) grew up nearby, and would have gone to school with her as they were about the same age. William "Grandpa Alec" Gillespie's sister (Rebecca Gillespie Stewart) lived nearby, so he may have come to Highland County to be close to her. However, why did she go there from Erie County. Was it just coincidence that there were other Gillespies there that we were related to?

            It would be nice to know where Thomas Sr. came from..was he born in Ireland or was he born in the states? I will be curious to find out if any of the other Erie County lines are Group 2, or if they are Group 1.

            Mark

            --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, nhscoachg@... wrote:

            > Hi Mark,
            >

            > I am directly descended from the Gillespie families of Highland Co.,OH. Hugh is my GGGG Grand Father.
            > Hugh Gillespie (c1776-1846)
            > Thomas Gillespie (1799-1854)
            > John E Gillespie (1823-1884)
            > John E Gillespie (1861-1921)
            > Don E Gillespie (1895-1975)
            > My Father
            > Me
            >

            > I believe I have pretty good documentation back to Hugh. I suspected Thomas Sr. to be his father, but have not yet been able to get definitive proof. However, we (my wife and I) have records of Thomas Sr. dying in Green Twp., Clinton Co., Oh in 1816 and is supposed to be buried near Wilmington, Oh.
            >

            > I would really like to exchange information with you. It sounds like we must be cousins.

          • Gene
            Message 5 of 24 , May 30, 2010
              Mark,
              Did you come up with definite proof that Group 2 Gillespies came to America from Ireland?
              I am part of the Riflemaker branch and recently got John Gillespie approved by SAR and DAR as being a patriot of the ARW and was lucky enough to get all his children approved as a link to him.
              I am a member of the Transylvania County, NC Genealogy Group and we have a project going to determine the country of origin for as many of the early settlers in this area as we can. We require proof, however.
              Gene Baker

              --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "twoarchys" <twoarchys@...> wrote:

              > Just an FYI, a couple of days ago I managed to come into contact with some old documents that might serve to connect the Gillespie family of Group 2 all together. More information will follow once I can sort it all out, but to give a heads up the Group 2 bunch is apparently from Armagh County, Ireland.
              > Mark

            • Kerry Bossenbroek
              Message 6 of 24 , May 30, 2010
                Mark!  You came up with the elusive paper trail linking us all??!!  Can't wait to see it!!
                Kerry
                Columbus, OH

                Did you come up with definite proof that Group 2 Gillespies came to America from Ireland?
                I am part of the Riflemaker branch and recently got John Gillespie approved by SAR and DAR as being a patriot of the ARW and was lucky enough to get all his children approved as a link to him.
                I am a member of the Transylvania County, NC Genealogy Group and we have a project going to determine the country of origin for as many of the early settlers in this area as we can. We require proof, however.
                Gene Baker

                --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "twoarchys" <twoarchys@...> wrote:

                > Just an FYI, a couple of days ago I managed to come into contact with some old documents that might serve to connect the Gillespie family of Group 2 all together. More information will follow once I can sort it all out, but to give a heads up the Group 2 bunch is apparently from Armagh County, Ireland.
                > Mark

              • twoarchys
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 1, 2010
                  No..unfortunately my high hopes never panned out. What I did discover is that my ancestor William Alexander Gillespie, Sr., was born in Belfast, Antrim County, Ireland, to parents John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler of Armagh County, Ireland. I had previously though that John and Sarah had remained in Ireland, but found out that they and all of their children moved to Erie Co., PA. Around the turn of the century, there was a large Gillespie reunion held there comprised of the descendants of John, Samuel and Esther Gillespie. Furthermore, there is information suggesting that Samuel and Esther were the children of a gentleman named William Gillespie of Scotland who married a lady in Ireland and possibly died in nearby Erie Co., NY. However, there is reason to suspect that my John was not his son and therefore may have been a nephew or some other close relative.

                  This information confirms that my Group 2 Gillespie line was in Armagh County, Ireland, in the latter 1700s. Some of the descendants of Samuel moved to Virginia and Kentucky, and I had hoped to link them to him. However, I have been unsuccessful. My Gillespie line moved to Highland County, Ohio, where another Group 2 Gillespie line was already living, and I have wondered if their path through KY connects them to Samuel (but as said, have been unsuccessful making the connection).

                  I have also tried looking at the Armagh County records to see if I could find anything else out about the line, but have only hit dead ends. Also of interest, is the fact that there was another line of Gillespie's in Erie Co., PA, at the same time as our own. However, they do not appear to have ever attended the reunions and I am not even sure if they are group 2. They were also originally from NY, but are an older line.

                  I have created an ancestry.com account with Gillespie pictures if you are interested.

                  Mark

                  --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Kerry Bossenbroek <kerrynhome@...> wrote:

                  > Mark!  You came up with the elusive paper trail linking us all??!!  Can't wait to see it!!
                  >
                  > Kerry
                  > Columbus, OH
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Kerry Bossenbroek
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 1, 2010
                    Thanks, Mark

                    It's frustrating to feel as if you may finally have answers and then end up with more questions.  And so our search goes on.  I appreciate you sharing what you found!  I've just finished up another degree so maybe I'll have some free time to pursue this "hobby" of mine again!!

                    Take care,
                    Kerry

                    No..unfortunately my high hopes never panned out. What I did discover is that my ancestor William Alexander Gillespie, Sr., was born in Belfast, Antrim County, Ireland, to parents John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler of Armagh County, Ireland. I had previously though that John and Sarah had remained in Ireland, but found out that they and all of their children moved to Erie Co., PA. Around the turn of the century, there was a large Gillespie reunion held there comprised of the descendants of John, Samuel and Esther Gillespie. Furthermore, there is information suggesting that Samuel and Esther were the children of a gentleman named William Gillespie of Scotland who married a lady in Ireland and possibly died in nearby Erie Co., NY. However, there is reason to suspect that my John was not his son and therefore may have been a nephew or some other close relative.

                    This information confirms that my Group 2 Gillespie line was in Armagh County, Ireland, in the latter 1700s. Some of the descendants of Samuel moved to Virginia and Kentucky, and I had hoped to link them to him. However, I have been unsuccessful. My Gillespie line moved to Highland County, Ohio, where another Group 2 Gillespie line was already living, and I have wondered if their path through KY connects them to Samuel (but as said, have been unsuccessful making the connection).

                    I have also tried looking at the Armagh County records to see if I could find anything else out about the line, but have only hit dead ends. Also of interest, is the fact that there was another line of Gillespie's in Erie Co., PA, at the same time as our own. However, they do not appear to have ever attended the reunions and I am not even sure if they are group 2. They were also originally from NY, but are an older line.

                    I have created an ancestry.com account with Gillespie pictures if you are interested.

                    Mark

                    --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Kerry Bossenbroek <kerrynhome@...> wrote:

                    > Mark!  You came up with the elusive paper trail linking us all??!!  Can't wait to see it!!
                    >
                    > Kerry
                    > Columbus, OH
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Susan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 1, 2010
                      Mark:
                      What is your link on ancestry.com.  I would love to see pix.
                      I sure wish we could find a link between our family and yours.  You at least have the Ireland connect.  We don't know where Lowry's parents came from.

                      No..unfortunately my high hopes never panned out. What I did discover is that my ancestor William Alexander Gillespie, Sr., was born in Belfast, Antrim County, Ireland, to parents John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler of Armagh County, Ireland. I had previously though that John and Sarah had remained in Ireland, but found out that they and all of their children moved to Erie Co., PA. Around the turn of the century, there was a large Gillespie reunion held there comprised of the descendants of John, Samuel and Esther Gillespie. Furthermore, there is information suggesting that Samuel and Esther were the children of a gentleman named William Gillespie of Scotland who married a lady in Ireland and possibly died in nearby Erie Co., NY. However, there is reason to suspect that my John was not his son and therefore may have been a nephew or some other close relative.

                      This information confirms that my Group 2 Gillespie line was in Armagh County, Ireland, in the latter 1700s. Some of the descendants of Samuel moved to Virginia and Kentucky, and I had hoped to link them to him. However, I have been unsuccessful. My Gillespie line moved to Highland County, Ohio, where another Group 2 Gillespie line was already living, and I have wondered if their path through KY connects them to Samuel (but as said, have been unsuccessful making the connection).

                      I have also tried looking at the Armagh County records to see if I could find anything else out about the line, but have only hit dead ends. Also of interest, is the fact that there was another line of Gillespie's in Erie Co., PA, at the same time as our own. However, they do not appear to have ever attended the reunions and I am not even sure if they are group 2. They were also originally from NY, but are an older line.

                      I have created an ancestry.com account with Gillespie pictures if you are interested.

                      Mark

                      --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Kerry Bossenbroek <kerrynhome@...> wrote:

                      > Mark!  You came up with the elusive paper trail linking us all??!!  Can't wait to see it!!
                      >
                      > Kerry
                      > Columbus, OH
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • twoarchys
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                        I don't know how to give you a link at ancestry.com, but I am twoarchys1 with file Gillespie Family Tree and I think if you do a search for Loran Paul Gillespie son of William Alexander Gillespie and Cora Dell Setty it should get you there.

                        To give you a little more information, the earliest Gillespie in Highland Co., OH, was Hugh Gillespie (c1776-5/25/1846) (KY-Fairfield Twp., Highland Co., OH). Various local records connect him as a close relative to Thomas Gillespie (c1778-(1820-30)) (KY-Green Twp., Clinton Co., OH), and they are known to have married sisters (Betsy and Hannah Egnew) in Harrison Co., KY, in 1798 and 1803 respectively. There are also records which indicate that they were the sons of a guy named Thomas Gillespie, Sr. (c1754-7/22/1815) ( -Green Twp., Clinton Co., OH), and they appear to have lived in or near Fleminsgburg, Fleming Co., KY, for a period of time. When my ancestor William Alexander "Alex/Alec" Gillespie, Sr. (5/15/1826-8/21/1909) (Belfast, Antrim Co., Ireland-Washington Twp., Highland Co., OH) moved to Highland Co., OH, he settled next door to an orphaned female Gillespie descendant of Hugh who was a schoolmate of his future wife Harriet Main. I have often wondered if this was mere coincidence, or if he had moved to Highland County with his siblings Rebecca and Samuel because of a family connection to the line that was already there. The descendants of both lines are closely related in Group 2.

                        Meanwhile, there is another Group 2 descendant in Indiana (ie. Laverne) who descends from a guy named Isaiah Gillespie (c1786-c1869) (York Co., PA-Boone Co., IN) who is believed to have been the son of a Revolutionary War soldier named William Gillespie (c1737-c1834) (Derry Co., Ireland-KY). While there has never been any documentation directly connecting this line to the descendants of Thomas, it should be noted that they also spent time in the Flemingsburg and Maysville, KY, areas. Furthermore, it is known that there was at least one descendant of the Gillespie Rifle family of Virginia (also Group 2) who was in the Flemingsburg area at around the same time period (I believe his name was George Gillespie, but don't quote me on that). The Flemingsburg and Maysville areas were pretty big hot spots for settlers moving west around 1800, so this could all be just mere coincidence. No way to know for sure right now.

                        In addition to all of this, I found out that the parents of my William Alexander Gillespie, Sr. (ie. John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler) came to America from Armagh Co., Ireland, with their children, and attended the family reunions with the descendants of Esther Gillespie (5/15/1812-2/7/1881) (Armagh Co., Ireland-Erie, Erie Co., PA) who married John Glenn, and Samuel Gillespie (5/12/1799-4/12/1874) (Armagh Co., Ireland-Summit Twp., Erie Co., PA). Esther and Samuel are known to have had sisters Margaret and Annie who also came to America and lived in nearby Erie Co., NY, and they are all believed to have been the children of William Gillespie of Scotland and Rebecca Waddell of Ireland. Their father William is also believed to have died in Erie Co., NY. Esther, Samuel, Margaret and Annie all indicated that their father was from Scotland and their mother was from Ireland. However, my ancestor John Gillespie always indicated that both of his parents were from Ireland. We know that they were closely related because of the reunion, but this raises the question of whether or not John was a sibling or a cousin.

                        It should also be noted that the Group 2 Gillespie line has close genetic connections with the McInnis family of Argyllshire in the coastal highlands of Scotland (the head of the clan is a group 2). Our haplogroup comes from Norway and places that the Vikings settled, and the Vikings are know to have had a settlement along the coast of Argyllshire around 800-1000 AD. Unfortunately, we are still missing the pieces that connect everything together.

                        Mark
                      • Kerry Bossenbroek
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                          If I saw this information before, I don't remember it.  Well, I suppose I hadn't seen it all put together in this way.  Your work here is GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks again, Mark!!

                          Kerry

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                            I constantly look at all the trees group 2 folks upload to different sites, but I never find any connections to our family.  I don't think we will ever get passed the Lowry and Frances Patterson Gillespie dead end. Nothing! Zilch!

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                              Is there a way we can get our DNA info posted on the Ancestry.com website DNA page?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010
                                I know that there is a link button on the individual pages at ancestry.com called "DNA." If you click on it, one of the options that it gives you is information regarding how to add your DNA information to your file. However, I have never looked any further into it.

                                Another interesting tidbit that I forgot to mention in the previous note, is that there was another Gillespie family living in Erie Co., PA, when my ancestors got there. They were from Orange Co., NY, but never attended the reunions (so must not have been closely related) and I do not know if they were even Group 2 or not. It should also be noted that Esther and Samuel lived for a while in Allegheny Co., PA, but I also do not know if there was any connection to any of the Gillespie lines in that area or not.

                                --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Gillespie" <susang@...> wrote:

                                > Is there a way we can get our DNA info posted on the Ancestry.com website
                                > DNA page?

                              • twoarchys
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 6, 2010
                                  I did some looking into your James Lowry Gillespie (2/25/1771-3/3/1857), and this is what I found. The information and conclusions are subjective, but may give you an idea regarding where to look regarding your family.

                                  Records involving Lowry Gillespie: 1795--Adm with Elizabeth Gillespie, the widow, the estate of James Gillespie in Abbeville Dist, SC, (Not mentioned in settlement of Elizabeth's estate 1819) 1800--Franklin Co Ga-deed to land "formerly of James Gillespie" 1830--Census of Franklin County-earlier ones destroyed 1850--Census of Carroll County GA-Lowry and Frances enumerated in household of Pickens G. 1834--Among trustees of Mt Pleasant Society receiving deed to land 1805--Land lottery-Lowry drew two blanks 1807--Land lottery-Lowry drew lot #116 Dist 20 Baldwin County 1827--Land lottery-William B Drew Dist 16 Sec 1 Lee Co 1827--Land lottery-James Lowry drew land in Lee Co 1832--Land lottery-Milton W drew 13th Dist 4th Sec Cherokee Co 1832--Land lottery-Pickens H drew 13th Dist 2nd Sec Cherokee Co

                                  There is a record which states:

                                  Photocopy from Franklin County Superior Court Deed Book or Vol. No. 00, Dates: 1803-1804 Page no. 120 Georgia Department of Archives and History Drawer 33 Box 5 11 Mar 1969
                                  South Carolina, Abbeville District Know all men by these presents that we Elizabeth Gillespie, James S. Baskin, Jane Gillespie, Margaret Gillespie all of the State and District aforesaid and John Allison of the State of North Carolina, Wilks County, Maryantoo District, Also Alexander Patterson of the State of Georgia, Elbert County in Consideration of three hundred dollars to us paid by Lowry Gillespie of the District and State aforesaid have granted and bargained and sold and released, and by these presents do grant, Bargain and release unto said Lowry Gillespie all their rights and claim of that tract of land, containing two hundred eighty seven and a half acres, Situated in Franklin County and State of Georgia, lying on Nail's Creek its being a tract of land originally granted to (?David) Daniel Russell in the year one thousand seven hundred eighty nine and conveyed by him to James Gillespie and having such form and shape and marks as are represented by a plat hereunto affixed. Together with all and singular the rights, members, hereditaments and appurtenances to the said premises belong or in any wiar incedendants, or appertaining. To have and to hold all as is singular the premises before mentioned unto the said Lowry Gillespie, his heirs and assigns forever, and we do hereby bind ourselves, our he heirs, executors and administrators to warrant and forever defend all our rights, and claims of the said premises unto the said Lowry Gillespie, his heirs and assigns and against ourselves, our heirs and against any person whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same or any part thereof. In witness whereof we have hereunto set our hands and seals this thirteenth day of December one thousand eight hundred and in the twenty fourth year of the Independence of the United States of America.
                                  In the presence of Elizabeth Gillespie
                                  John Cowan James S. Baskin
                                  Mathew Gillespie Alexander Patterson
                                  James Vernon (his office) Jane Gillespie
                                  Margaret Gillespie
                                  John Allison
                                  Photocopy page No. 121 Drawer 33 Box 5
                                  Georgia ) Personally appeared before me Mathew Gillespie and being
                                  Elbert County) duly sworn deposeth and saith that he saw Elizabeth Gillespie, James S. Baskin, Alexander Patterson, Jane Gillespie, Margaret Gillespie, and John Allison assign and sell and acknowledge the within as their act and Deed... Sworn to before me
                                  this 13th day of October 1803)
                                  ) Mathew Gillespie
                                  Barret Jeter, JP )
                                  Recorded the 20th February 1804

                                  It was not uncommon for siblings to sign over their rights to the family land to a single brother. Therefore, this supports the idea that some people have that James Lowry Gillespie was the son of James Gillespie and Elizabeth Baskin. These rsearchers further suggest that James was the son of Matthew Gillespie (c1726-c1793) who married his first cousin Anna Pickens at the Old Stone Presbyterian Church in Augusta Co., VA. He was the grandson of Matthew Gillespie (c1700-c1730) of Ireland who married Lucy Pickens on 9/2/1722 in Abingdon, Montgomery Co., PA. The Pickens family are known to have come from Killedaugh Parish in Limerick Co., Ireland. Some have suggested that Matthew was from there also, but since they were married in Pennsylvania I do not think that theory is really supported.

                                  There was more than one line of Gillespie's in Abemarle District, SC, during the time period in question. One of these was a Rev War vet named Daniel Gillespie, who was born 6/16/1763 in Antrim Co., Ireland, near Belfast. Was he related to the others? If so, then your Group 2 line may come from the same place as my own.

                                  Food for thought.

                                  Mark
                                • Jane Gillespie
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 6, 2010
                                    Has this family group been DNA tested?? Are they group 2?? (I am sorry if I missed this)  I never thought the Abbeville Gillespie seemed to be connected with group 3 that my husband is connected to.  Since many of group 3 are from Anderson/Pickens Co SC you would think they could be. But then groups 2 and 3 were living together in the same SC counties and it took DNA to show them not to be the same for sure..

                                    Jane McCombs Gillespie

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 6, 2010
                                      My husband William Charles Gillespie has been tested.
                                      It shows he is from group 2.
                                      Here is the ancestor list for him:
                                      William Charles Gillespie
                                      Clay Olus Gillespie
                                      William Oliver Gillespie
                                      Barnea McKendra Gillespie
                                      James Lowery Gillespie m. Polly Meaders
                                      William Baskin Gillespie
                                      Lowery Gillespie m. Frances Patterson

                                      Any of these sound familiar?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 6, 2010
                                        Susan.. I see that the family mentioned did test & was group 2. Great. So that does prove that the Abbeville Gillespies were not part of group 3. Thanks!!

                                        Jane McCombs Gillespie

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 6, 2010
                                          I know that there were at least two different lines of the Gillespie family in Albemarle County, but do not know if they were related or not and there could possibly be even more than the two.

                                          I found Revolutionary War records for three Gillespies in that part of South Carolina: Daniel Gillespie born 6/17/1763 in Antrim Co., Ireland..John Gillaspie born 8/17/1763..and William Gillespie born 1759 in North Carolina. Since William was born four years before Daniel in America, we are probably safe in assuming that they were not siblings. But were they related? There is a record which states:

                                          pg. 48, PICKENS FAMILIES OF THE SOUTH, E.M. Sharp, pg 1963, Memphis, TN
                                          "FORT INDEPENDENCE:
                                          This old fort is mentioned in the pension applications of Addrew Pickens, William Pickens and William Gabriel Pickens, also in Draper interview with Andrew Pickens. It is also mentione in pension applications of numerous other men who had some expericence there. Both tradition and its site indicate that it was built on Pickens land. John and Gabriel Pickens obtained grants on Great Rocky Creek in Granville Co. S.C. in 1765. The grants show that they joined each other and lands of Matthew Gillespie. The old site is very near Lowndesville, in western Abbeville County, S.C. The first setlers felt the necessity for this fort as protection against the Indians, as they were on the then extreme frontier. William Pickens of Maury Co. Tenn. told of assisting in the erection of this fort. William Gabrial Pickens stated that he was there under the command of his brother Captain John Pickens who was left in charge of the fort. The fort had already been built when the Cherokee War started in 1776 as related by Andrew Pickens of Fayette Co. Tenn. Families from the surrounding area fled to Ft. Independence at the first signs of trouble, and when Andrew arrived safely his wife ran out and embraced him for she thought he had been killed. Records of Matthew Thomson family state that he came from Augusta County, VA. in vacinity of the Old Stone Church, to Abbeville Dist. S.C. in 1774 where he settled on Little River on what is now known as the Crawford Plantation. To insure safety durning the Revolution he moved into a fort near Lowndesville. (Ft. Independence) In doing so he exposed himself so that it brought on an illness that soon ended his life, before the end of the war. Matthew Thomson was father of Ann Thomson who was wife of General Robert Anderson, also of the Matthew Thomson who escaped on the Tory Colonel's horse in Indian Capitivity. Ft. Independence had a relatively short life though ensuring life for amny of our ancestors.

                                          This supports the idea that the descendants of Matthew who married in with the Pickens family, moved south and settled in the South Carolina area. They had been here a number of years, and would not have had a son born in Ireland (ie. Daniel).

                                          Long story short, the Albermarle Gillespie lines do not necessarilly descend from a common ancestor. They could be group 2 and group 3.

                                          Mark