Gillespie Name Distribution in Scotland

  • Charles Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2008
      There is a slightly flawed presentation of 1891 census data on
      ancestry.com, showing a clear concentration of the name Gillespie
      found in south central Scotland. If the name was still that
      concentrated in that area that late, then it was undoubtedly even
      more concentrated in the 1600s when many of our ancestors left
      Scotland for Ulster. The ancestry.com presentation shows the total
      number of families in Scotland at 2251, when the data actually adds
      to about 3847.

      1366 families, or 36%, were in Lanarkshire.
      472, or 12%, were in Stirling.
      351, or 9%, were in Midlothian.
      332, or 9%, were in Renfrew.
      220, or 6%, were in Fife.
      190, or 5%, were in Ayrshire.
      185, or 5%, were in Aberdeen.
      125 were in Dumfries, 124 in Argyll, 119 in Angus, 87 in
      Kirkcudbright, 76 in Perth, and 60 in West Lothian.

      We need to keep in mind that most Gillespies in America will be
      found to have descended from Ulster Scots, those Scots primarily
      from Southwest Scotland, who moved to the Ulster Plantation in the
      1600s, and from there, primarily to the West Bank of the Delaware
      River in the 1700s, and on through the backcountry.

      This kind of general information doesn't say where your Gillespie
      ancestors came from, but it does provide some perspective, and it
      does create some implications.

      We obviously need to get some current Gillespies living in the area
      around Lanarkshire to get DNA tested.

      Charles