Gillespie name and haplogroups

  • Connie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2008
      VArnold758@... wrote:
      Thanks, Charles, for that great explanation.  Are all the different Gillespie groups a result from the meaning of Gillespie as " a speaker or spokesperson for the lord of the area"?
      Vicki & Don Gillespie (Group 2)

      Yes, Charles, that was awesome!  I think we should all print that one out for future reference.  We look forward to more frNWom you on this when your time allows. CKM

      Hi Vicki & Don,
      Alan G. MacPherson, the Canadian historian for Clan Macpherson, told me that the name Gillespie - which was originally used as a first name - Gilespic - evolved from "servant of the Bishop" where parents named their children "in honor of a local Bishop".  He said the term "servant" was not meant to convey employment by a Bishop/lord as we have all believed.

      The head of Clan Campbell was named Gilespic.  One of our Gillespie DNA groups is a close match to the core of the Campbell surname DNA project and stands a good chance of descending from that original Campbell family.  I think that was a truly exciting DNA test revelation!

      Alan G. MacPherson explained that we have so many different DNA haplogroups within the Gillespie DNA Project due to the choice of early parents to name their children "Gilespic" or "Gillespie" - in honor of the Bishop.  So we have unrelated families choosing to give their sons similar names that eventually evolved into surnames for completely different families and haplogroups.

      Some of those families began mostly in the lowlands of Scotland, some were in the highlands and some may have even contained themselves to northwest Ireland - that is a possibility for our DNA Group 5 - haplogroup R1b1b2e - although they would probably want to throw fish at me for saying that as they are trying to connect to a specific Gillespie family in Scotland  :-)

      My own McKenzie family line is one of those "maybe entirely NW Irish" lines.  The English translation of McKenzie is "son of Kenneth."  Clan Mackenzie is in the west highlands, but my McKenzie line is not a match to most of the nearly 200 MacKenzies tested so far.  And we don't even closely match the handful in our MacKenzie R1b1b2e haplogroup.  Alice Fairhurst of ISOGG, a good friend of mine and Charles Moore, reminded me that McKenzie simply means "son of Kenneth" and MY KENNETH ANCESTOR might not be THE CLAN MACKENZIE KENNETH ANCESTOR and might not have even lived within Clan Mackenzie territory to assume the clan name by force, payment or choice.

      hmmmmmm...............Rats and rats again!

      The results for the Macpherson test participants is heavily weighted toward haplogroup R1b1, and not one haplogroup I as yet.  While in our Gillespie DNA Project, groups 1 and 2 comprise our largest numbers and they descend from two separate branches of haplogroup I.

      Anyway, this is why Charles and I look past the surnames, the spelling of the surnames, the first names, the locations where our American ancestors lived - and look toward the haplogroups, the deep SNPS and the mutations in order to place our test participants into DNA subgroups.

      And for the few that have tested with the surname Gillespie only to have a significant number of matches with one other particular surname - well, then Charles and I look at the possibility of an early adoption, name change, etc.

      Charles and I do hope that representatives from each of our DNA groups will be tested to 67 markers and will also take the Deep Clade haplogroup test.

      Cheers,