Madison Co North Carolina: Henry Gillespie - Judith Askew family mid 1800's

  • flcombs@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2008
      Is anyone participating in the DNA study looking at this family:
      Henry Gillespie m Judith Askew of Madison Co, NC from the
      mid 1800s?

      I have some very important information that may help, if not now
      at least later if someone starts trying to work that family.

      The bottom line is that there was a court case to settle Judith
      Askew's property (and her brother's) around the turn of the
      century (1900) with a lot  of depositions from people concerning
      the determination of heirs, etc.  From that information, apparently
      only one of her children is a Gillespie and the others are not.  I
      know THAT information would be very handy if you try to do some
      DNA research on them!

      Patricia Morrow and I have been researching the family, and she
      found a lot of valuable Madison County NC court documents,
      including several depositions, that provide a lot of family information.
      I won't go into a lot of the legal details unless someone wants
      them since they are spread over many documents, but the main
      importance for genealogy and DNA is:

      Henry Gillespie apparently married Judith Askew, but wasn't
      there for long.  Her first child, Matilda, was his.  I'm not sure of
      where Henry Gillespie fits in a Gillespie family, but at least he
      wasn't living there and didn't die for some time.  He wasn't
      in the census data with the family for many years, and I didn't
      know what happened to him.  There was testimony that he
      came back just twice over several years to visit others,
      so he wasn't dead when he wasn't showing with Judith.

      Her second child, Minerva, may be the child of Thomas Burnett
      according to a couple of the depositions that seemed to have
      the most detailed knowledge, but others said Phillip Price.

      The rest of the children, James, William, Jesse, Clersey (Clarissa),
      Lizzy (Elizabeth) and Patty (Thomas P) were said to be the
      children of Phillip Price.

      I don't know the truth of it of course, but it does look like she
      was not living with a husband during those years.  Around
      1900 several people were still living that knew her from those
      years and had a common belief about the children.  One
      claimed to hear Phillip Price tell William that he was William's
      father.

      I don't have the male Gillespie line to participate in the DNA
      study (probably a good thing NOW! :-> ), but I've been participating
      in a Combs DNA study.  I know how important this kind of
      information might be to someone, so thought I'd share it in case
      it helps someone sometime.

      Frank Combs

    • sharonharris33
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008

        Hi I have been trying to research this areaof Madison Co, NC town of Marshall.  I do not show a Henry Gillespie but my paperwork is from the the late 1700 and early 1800.

        Anyone show anything on Silas Gillespie son of James and Margaret born 1770-75? My notes say he was born on the way to America and list his possible parent as James and says James may have sold land in Pendleton Co Sc in 1790.

        Says James Giillespie his father was on jury duty in Buncombee Co., NC  in 1794 and buying land  on Flat Creek 1796.

        Nov of 1796 the paperwork says he received 100 acres of John Blount Grant. Madison NC Witness was Charles Lane who lived at the mouth of Laurel Creek. My parents still live in this area and I have found an old church where some Gillespies are on the church paperwork. There is a Gillespie fork road on Bee Tree Branh in this area nd an old cabin I have found photos of Silas Gillespies Cabin he lived in, in the Heritage Book from Madison Nc. I will try and take pictures this summer, I am told the cabin is still preserved and standing.

        Silas  married to Polly Emeline Nial 1798

        Their children:

        Nancy Emeline Gillespie b.1791 married Alexander Griffin

        My grandfather Wayne Griffins family.

        Hannah Agnes Gillespie b 1794 married James Ray (Big Jim)

        William Kelsey Gillespie b.1800 married Delila Burrell

        Georeg washington Gillespie b. 1802 Unmarried (at home 1830)

        Judith Gillespie b.1804 married William Arrington

        James Wilson Gillespie b. 3/25/1808 married (1) ____Eswards m(2) Elizabeth Sprinkle m. (3) Hannah Buckner (White)

        Joyce Gillespie b. 1810 married Love Clark

        Talitha Gillespie b. 1/31/1813  married Berry Lewis

        My Grandmother Nona Wade Lewis family

        Nona Wade and Wayne Griffin were my grandpaprents and I am related by 1st and last Gillespie children.

        Thanks for any help anyone may have.

        S. Harris NY

        My parent still live in the area and I have taken pictures of  Talitha Gillespie headstone on Foster Creek but I do not know of any Gillespies in this area and do not see very much info on the site here.

        Any info please send a note.

        --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, flcombs@... wrote:

        > Is anyone participating in the DNA study looking at this family:
        > Henry Gillespie m Judith Askew of Madison Co, NC from the
        > mid 1800s?
        >
        > I have some very important information that may help, if not now
        > at least later if someone starts trying to work that family.
        >
        > The bottom line is that there was a court case to settle Judith
        > Askew's property (and her brother's) around the turn of the
        > century (1900) with a lot of depositions from people concerning
        > the determination of heirs, etc. From that information, apparently
        > only one of her children is a Gillespie and the others are not. I
        > know THAT information would be very handy if you try to do some
        > DNA research on them!
        >
        > Patricia Morrow and I have been researching the family, and she
        > found a lot of valuable Madison County NC court documents,
        > including several depositions, that provide a lot of family information.
        > I won't go into a lot of the legal details unless someone wants
        > them since they are spread over many documents, but the main
        > importance for genealogy and DNA is:
        >
        > Henry Gillespie apparently married Judith Askew, but wasn't
        > there for long. Her first child, Matilda, was his. I'm not sure of
        > where Henry Gillespie fits in a Gillespie family, but at least he
        > wasn't living there and didn't die for some time. He wasn't
        > in the census data with the family for many years, and I didn't
        > know what happened to him. There was testimony that he
        > came back just twice over several years to visit others,
        > so he wasn't dead when he wasn't showing with Judith.
        >
        > Her second child, Minerva, may be the child of Thomas Burnett
        > according to a couple of the depositions that seemed to have
        > the most detailed knowledge, but others said Phillip Price.
        >
        > The rest of the children, James, William, Jesse, Clersey (Clarissa),
        > Lizzy (Elizabeth) and Patty (Thomas P) were said to be the
        > children of Phillip Price.
        >
        > I don't know the truth of it of course, but it does look like she
        > was not living with a husband during those years. Around
        > 1900 several people were still living that knew her from those
        > years and had a common belief about the children. One
        > claimed to hear Phillip Price tell William that he was William's
        > father.
        >
        > I don't have the male Gillespie line to participate in the DNA
        > study (probably a good thing NOW! :-> ), but I've been participating
        > in a Combs DNA study. I know how important this kind of
        > information might be to someone, so thought I'd share it in case
        > it helps someone sometime.
        >

        > Frank Combs

      • Karyn Garvin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
          I have this information from my own family records put together by a descendant of Talitha !!!
          I am a descendant of Hannah !!  (I have not personally researched any of this, the descendant of Talitha I mention here was my dad's sister's husband, who has since died and did not leave a bibliography of his information, only his trees):
          James Gillespie born @1740 (do not have wife's name)
          their son - Silas Gillespie 1770-1850 married Polly Emeline Nial 1779
          8 children
          Talitha Gillespie who married Berry Lewis
             (This is where my aunt's husband descended from this line, he has the following on his tree:
                             Children:  James W. Lewis 1842-1929 married Polly Norton had 5 children
                                                                           their daughter Harriett Salina Lewis married John A. Bradley
                                                                           their son William A. Bradley married Alice Harrett Black
                                                                           their son James A. Bradley b. 1963 married my dad's sister Barbara,
                                                                                who is a descendant of Hannah Agnes Gillespie through the same
                                                                                line as I am listed below
                                                Joseph L. Lewis 1846-1912 married Sarah J. Buckner had 13 children, looking for connection
                                                     (out of this line came many more marriages with Coats and Rices, who in turn married
                                                       Lewises again, Lunsfords, more Rices; at least two and possibly more of the Rices were
                                                       from Hannah's descendant line below, because two of Hester's sisters married into this
                                                       family! - It's VERY tangled up !!)
                                                Joby Lewis 1848-? married Sarrah Jarrett had 8 children, married Liza Tipton had 1 child
                                                Daniel Lewis 1847-? married Rebeca Coates unknown about children
                                                Marion Lewis 1844-? no other information I've found yet)

          Nancy Emeline Gillespie
                  (married a W. Arrington, also just saw the name Alexander Griffin as a spouse too on his p/w)
          William Kelsey Gillespie
                  (married a Delilah Burrell; my paternal gmother was a Burrell too)
          George Washington Gillespie
          Judith Gillespie
                  (she might have been the wife of the W. Arrington instead of Nancy)
          James Wilson Gillespie
                 (married first a E. Sprinkle, then Hanna Buckner do not know which line of Buckners yet)
          Joyce Gillespie
                  (married a Love Clark)
          Hannah Agnes Gillespie (my 4ggm) married James Ray - this is my line,
          their daughter Sarah Ray married Joseph Rice
          their son Jessie Rice married Margaret Messer  (where their line recrossed Talitha's
                                                                                                                 because at least two daughters married into that line)

          their daughter Hester Rice married James Burrell
          their daughter Eupha Burrell married Ross Buckner
          their son Max Buckner married Gladys Laudon
          ME

          again, I have no bibliography on any of this, I have not started researching this line yet as I am neck-deep in Buckners, Burrells, and Drakes right now (I also have Rices, Metcalfs, Messers to do),  but does any of this look familiar or correct?  My family is all from Western NC, and I do know from Bible records that everyone from Jesse Rice & Margaret Messer were born in Madison Co. or the vicinity.

          any help either way??

          Thanks !
          Karyn Buckner Garvin

          -- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "sharonharris33" <sharonharris33@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > the most detailed knowledge, but others said Phillip Price.
          > >
          > > The rest of the children, James, William, Jesse, Clersey (Clarissa),
          > > Lizzy (Elizabeth) and Patty (Thomas P) were said to be the
          > > children of Phillip Price.
          > >
          > > I don't know the truth of it of course, but it does look like she
          > > was not living with a husband during those years. Around
          > > 1900 several people were still living that knew her from those
          > > years and had a common belief about the children. One
          > > claimed to hear Phillip Price tell William that he was William's
          > > father.
          > >
          > > I don't have the male Gillespie line to participate in the DNA
          > > study (probably a good thing NOW! :-> ), but I've been participating
          > > in a Combs DNA study. I know how important this kind of
          > > information might be to someone, so thought I'd share it in case

        • Karyn Garvin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
            Correction:
            son James A. Bradley b. 1936 married my dad's sister Barbara,