Re: [GillespieDNAProject_discussion] Anna E. Gillespie - 1827-1927

  • Charles Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
      Dates on these things can sometimes be guessed at.  Do we think she was really 100?  Well, she could have been, of course.  Anyway, there was an Anna E Gillespie that I know about.  Her name was Anna Elizabeth Burts, the wife of John Ward Gillespie.  Her tombstone says she was born in 1833, so 6 years after the date on the print, and she died in 1918, so 9 years earlier than the date on the print.  Her grandson John Ransom Gillespie's wife was Minnie Gertrude Sprague (1884-1973), who might have used her middle name.  But these folks were in TX, and I am not familiar with any OH connections.  John Ward Gillespie was the grandson of Thomas Gillespie, brother of John the Riflemaker, and Margaret Bowen of Tazewell VA, in Gillespie DNA Group 2.

      Charles

      lairdkinna <lairdkinna@...> wrote:
      I received permission to post this message to our group just in case
      this Anne E. Gillespie is related to any of our participants. Connie

      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= =

      Posted By: Bruce TAYLOR
      Email:
      Subject: Anna E. Gillespie - 1827-1927 - Silhouette.. .Ohio
      Post Date: February 21, 2008 at 21:13:33
      Message URL: http://genforum. genealogy. com/gillespie/ messages/ 4055.html
      Forum: Gillespie Family Genealogy Forum
      Forum URL: http://genforum. genealogy. com/gillespie/

      Hello,

      I have a small block print (don't know which technique used), of a
      silhouette of Anna E. Gillespie, dated 1827-1927, and done by Gertrude
      (no last name).

      This print was in an envelope addressed to my grandfather, in
      Columbus, Ohio. The postmark was Dec. 22, 1927 with no return address.

      You can look at this print by going to this address:

      http://www.taylorso seo.us/AnnaGille spieSilhouette. jpg

      The print measures 5 3/4"h x 4 3/4" and is printed on a off white,
      heavy weight card stock.

      I was going to put this card up on eBay, but decided to put it up on
      Genforum first.

      I would also like to know what Gertrude's last name would be.

      Any offers would be appreciated.

      Thanks, Bruce

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
        Charles:
        Have you ever been to Scotland or Ireland to do genealogy research on the Gillespies?
        I am going to Ireland in October, might want to do some research, not just play golf.
        Also, I was thinking of a trip to Scotland to research the Gillespie and the inglis'.
        I would not know where to begin to start once there, or what to plan to see while there.
        Are there forums for such travel ideas.

        Also, this week I was contacted by another cousin.
        This was Linda Barefield.  She is the great granddaughter of Margaret L. Gillespie, sister of Barnea Gillespie, daughter of James Lowery Gillespie.  If you want to include her in our group or on your email list, her email is:

        thanks
        Susan

        Technology happens!
        It takes divine human intervention or 'The Geek Squad' to secure, defend, and optimize your personal cyberspace.

        "Geeks will inherit the Earth, not rule it." Robert Stephens 2007

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2008
          For what it's worth, there are group 2 (rifle
          Gillespie) relations in Ohio starting in the late
          1700's. We have the DNA evidence now and family
          stories; we just can't find the paper trail yet. My
          Gillespie family lived primarily on the west side of
          the state, migrating from south to north. Some
          members did eventually move to the central area (near
          Columbus) but I haven't heard of an Anna or a John
          Ward Gillespie in my direct family.

          My great grandmother, born in 1888 spent a great deal
          of time visiting Gillespie relations. I have a book
          of post cards from several of her visits.
          Unfortunately, I do not have many full names of the
          relations. It seems that visiting relations for weeks
          at a time was a "thing" they did back then.

          These Gillespies certainly seem to be a prolific, well
          traveled bunch!

          Kerry
          Columbus, OH

          Be a better friend, newshound, and