Gillespie DNA

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
      I haven't obtained a DNA test yet, but I am trying to talk my wife into
      going along with it possibly for my birthday. My line is:

      Mark Edward Gillespie (3/8/1972- ) (Brown Co., OH- )
      Loran Edward Gillespie (5/9/1939- ) (Highland Co., OH- )
      Loran Paul "Paul" Gillespie (10/13/1907-10/19/2003) (Highland Co., OH-
      Highland Co., OH)
      William Alexander "Billy" Gillespie, Jr. (11/4/1868-4/5/1959) (Highland
      Co., OH-Highland Co., OH)
      William Alexander "Alec" Gillespie, Sr. (5/15/1826-8/21/1909) (Northern
      Ireland-Highland Co., OH)
      John Gillespie

      I have two children:
      Abigail Joan "Abby" Gillespie (1/21/02- ) (Lexington, Fayette Co., KY- )
      Alexander Kenneth "Alex" Gillespie (5/1/05- ) (Lexington, Fayette Co.,
      KY- )

      I have pictures of everyone in our line except John. I only know about
      him because Grandpa Alec noted in the county records that he was born
      in Northern Ireland to John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler. To the best
      of my knowledge, all of the descendants of Alec live in either Highland
      County or Adams County in Ohio, with the exception of myself (although
      we may be moving back sometime this year). Therefore, I would not
      think that I am closely related to any of the others in the group
      (since their lines have been here a lot longer). Is there any reason
      to get more than a 12 point test to confirm that I am a "true
      Gillespie?" I do not know where at in Northern Ireland that my line is
      from (ie. what county), but Northern Ireland is primarilly Scottish and
      from what I have read the Gillespies are Scottish that trace their line
      back to a Viking settlement along the east coast. Can Viking heritage
      be confirmed through the 12 point test?
    • Dr. Richard Gillespie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
        Yes, Becky, in fact, my DNA tests indicate that I have Viking origins.  I don't have time to list too much right now (I'm in my office) but let me know what specific questions you might have regarding the testing.  I am the first Gillespie to be tested in the DNA program.
        Richard Gillespie, DC
        San Marcos, TX

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
          Hello and thank you for writing,

          I can answer a few of your questions.  First of all, from the men who have tested so far, there doesn't seem to be one GILLESPIE line, but many separate lines.  The surname GILLESPIE was adopted in various areas of Great Britain and represented the occupation of the person who took that as a surname.  Apparently, the surname GILLESPIE is much more diverse than what we are finding in testing some of the highland clans.....variations are found there, but most show some sort of relatedness.

          With the men that have tested so far in this project, most are proving to be totally unrelated to each other....so I really can't say that there is anything as a TRUE GILLESPIE.  We just need to find out how many lines exist and to which line each of us belongs.

          As for the Viking lines, the haplogroup "I" would show descent from people of that region.  A few men in the DNA project have been shown to be "I", including my own line.  However, most of the others are turning out to be in haplogroup "R1b" which is more typical of those coming from Great Britain.

          I recommend getting the 25 or 37 marker test, but you can start with the 12 marker test and upgrade later if someone proves to be an exact 12 marker match with your DNA.

          What I hope that people will do in this project is find their most distant GILLESPIE cousin and use the DNA testing to prove that they are indeed from the same GILLESPIE line.  That takes some work, but is worth it in the end if it succeeds in pushing the knowledge of your family line back in time.

          Connie McKenzie
          Gillespie DNA Project Administrator

          Becky <twoarchys@...> wrote:

          Grandpa Alec noted in the county records that he was born in Northern Ireland to John Gillespie and Sarah Wheeler.  To the best of my knowledge, all of the descendants of Alec live in either Highland
          County or Adams County in Ohio.  Is there any reason
          to get more than a 12 point test to confirm that I am a "true Gillespie?"  I do not know where at in Northern Ireland that my line is from (ie. what county), but Northern Ireland is primarilly Scottish and from what I have read the Gillespies are Scottish that trace their line back to a Viking settlement along the east coast.  Can Viking heritage be confirmed through the 12 point test?

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Yahoo! Photos