Re: [GillespieDNAProject_discussion] Gillispie family of Central/Easley South Carolina.

  • bill glaspy
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
      Connie,
      As Jane and Marlene can tell you, A. W. Gillespie is a brother to both William Young Gillespie/Glaspy and Jeremiah Gillespie as well as Greenlee Gillespie and Paul Catleberry Gillespie.There were some sisters as well.  I went to Refuge Church many years ago on a research trip.  I think all the graves are mentioned on a web site for on a cemetery inventory, and I recorded some of the names which are in my files.

      Sugar Glaspy
      (Mrs. Bill Glaspy, group 3).

      Dennis Glazener <tdennis@...> wrote:
      Yes,
      I agree. The data that Jane sent me a good while back has many Gillespie's listed that are buried at Refuge Baptist Church. Also reference to "Maveric" house and the man that donated the land for Refuge Baptist Church.

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
        Sounds like Paul Castleberry Gillespie to me.  Connie, you're on a roll!!
        Sugar Glaspy

        Connie Mac <lairdkinna@...> wrote:
        I was in a calling mood today so called this gentleman for more info.
        One of his ancestors was PAUL GILLISPIE who served with the
        Confederates and is buried at Flat Rock Baptist Church in SC - but
        apparently there is more than one Flat Rock so he isn't sure of the
        exact burial place. This PAUL may have been married to a Cherokee
        woman. PAUL'S uncle or brother may have been named BERT.

        Any of this ring a bell?

        --- In GillespieDNAProject _discussion@ yahoogroups. com, "Connie Mac"
        <lairdkinna@ ...> wrote:

        > I just received this inquiry. Does anyone on this list recognize this
        > branch of GILLESPIES? This person is interested in joining the DNA
        > project.
        >
        > Connie
        >
        > >>Do you have any info on the Gillispie family of Central/Easley South
        > Carolina. We were connected with Refuge Plantation, now known as the
        > Maveric plantation. I have ancestors burried at Refuge Baptist Church
        > and other area churches.<<

      • Bill Gillespie
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 22, 2006
          I do extensive research on the War Between the States.
          I checked existing SC records for Gillispie and
          Gillespie to try and locate Paul Gillispie and
          Alberta. Only one Gillispie in the records, and 17
          Gillespie(numerous repeats of the same persons,
          serving in several units). None with the first
          initial P,A or B. If Paul is buried in SC, did he
          possibly serve some other state?
          Regards, Wm. Lockwood Gillespie

          --- bill glaspy <billglaspy@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like Paul Castleberry Gillespie to me.
          > Connie, you're on a roll!!
          > Sugar Glaspy
          >
          > Connie Mac <lairdkinna@...> wrote:
          > I was in a calling mood today so called
          > this gentleman for more info.
          > One of his ancestors was PAUL GILLISPIE who served
          > with the
          > Confederates and is buried at Flat Rock Baptist
          > Church in SC - but
          > apparently there is more than one Flat Rock so he
          > isn't sure of the
          > exact burial place. This PAUL may have been married
          > to a Cherokee
          > woman. PAUL'S uncle or brother may have been named
          > BERT.
          >
          > Any of this ring a bell?
          >
          > --- In
          > GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com,
          > "Connie Mac"
          > <lairdkinna@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just received this inquiry. Does anyone on this
          > list recognize this
          > > branch of GILLESPIES? This person is interested in
          > joining the DNA
          > > project.
          > >
          > > Connie

          > Central/Easley South
          > > Carolina. We were connected with Refuge
          > Plantation, now known as the
          > > Maveric plantation. I have ancestors burried at
          > Refuge Baptist Church
          > > and other area churches.<<
          > >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          > Try it today.

          Sponsored Link

          Rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Loan for $1399/mo.
          Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
        • Jane McCombs Gillespie
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 22, 2006
            --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Bill Gillespie
            <pickspop@...> wrote:

            > I do extensive research on the War Between the States.
            > I checked existing SC records for Gillispie and
            > Gillespie to try and locate Paul Gillispie and
            > Alberta. Only one Gillispie in the records, and 17
            > Gillespie(numerous repeats of the same persons,
            > serving in several units). None with the first
            > initial P,A or B. If Paul is buried in SC, did he
            > possibly serve some other state?
            > Regards, Wm. Lockwood Gillespie

            Bill: I have a little information about Paul C Gillespie. Don't know
            where he was buried. The last I have on him is that he joined Big
            Creek Baptist Church in Williamston SC by letter Aug 31 1867.

            Paul Castleberry Gillespie

            From CSA Record from SC Archives

            Enlisted Feb 28 1863 Wilmington NC Co D 18th SC Infantry.
            1863 Sept - Dec Present
            1864 Mar to Oct Absent wounded
            1864 Jun 19 Register of Wayside Hospital addmitted to Chimborazo.
            1864 Apr 30 to Jun 20 Jackson Hospital muster roll
            1864 Jun 19 On morning report of Jackson Hospital Richmond VA.
            Furloughed Jun 23 1864 for 30 days.
            1864 Nov to Feb 1865 Present
            1865 Apr 13 Prisioner of War. Captured Sutherland Station on Apr 3.
            Released Jun 27 1865.
            1865 Jun 27 Took Oath of Allegiance at Fort Lookout.

            Wounded Va Jun 17 1864 admitted to Episcopal Ch Hospital Williamsburg
            VA with minie ball wound to left arm.
            Captured Five Forks VA Apr 1 1865. Last roll Jan/Feb 1865.
            Signed Oath of Allegiance and released at Point Lookout MD Jun 27
            1865. Resident of Anderson Co SC, light complexion, dark grayish hair,
            gray eyes. 5 ft 6 in tall, wart between eyes.

            HISTORICAL NOTES from: http://www.researchonline.net/sccw/unit150.htm

            Crute states that this regiment (Co D 18th SC Infantry) was formed
            from Laurens County and other counties in the north-western part of
            the state. Rivers' account of the organization of the troops states
            that Company H was formed from York County. The Captain was R. H. Glenn.

            Crute states that the 18th surrendered 16 officers and 139 men. Crute
            also states that the 18th had 205 men of 363 wounded at the Petersburg
            mine explosion (Battle of the Crater).

            BATTLES:

            Malvern Hill (2 - 8 AUG 1862)
            Rappahannock Station VA (23 AUG 1862)
            2nd Bull Run VA (28 - 30 AUG 1862)
            South Mountain VA (14 SEP 1862)
            Antietam VA (17 SEP 1862)
            Jackson Siege MS (JUL 1863)
            Charleston Harbor (AUG - SEP 1863)
            Bermuda Hundred (17 MAY - 16 JUN 1864)
            Petersburg Siege VA (JUN 1864 - APR 1865)
            The Crater (30 JUL 1864)
            Ft. Stedman (25 MAR 1865)
            Five Forks VA (1 APR 1865)
            Appomattox Court House VA (9 APR 1865)
          • Dennis Glazener
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2006
              Jane,
              Have you checked the Union records? Phillip and Wilson Gillespie (and their two brother-in laws, Underwood and Blythe, joined the Union Cavalry in East TN. Could be that some of the other Gillespie's did the same.
              Dennis

              > I do extensive research on the War Between the States.
              > I checked existing SC records for Gillispie and
              > Gillespie to try and locate Paul Gillispie and
              > Alberta. Only one Gillispie in the records, and 17
              > Gillespie(numerous repeats of the same persons,
              > serving in several units). None with the first
              > initial P,A or B. If Paul is buried in SC, did he
              > possibly serve some other state?
              > Regards, Wm. Lockwood Gillespie

              Bill: I have a little information about Paul C Gillespie. Don't know
              where he was buried. The last I have on him is that he joined Big
              Creek Baptist Church in Williamston SC by letter Aug 31 1867.

              Paul Castleberry Gillespie

              From CSA Record from SC Archives

[...]

            • frank gillispie
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2006
                There are two Paul C's on the roster of Company D. 18th SC Volunteers.  But they spell the name differently.  Paul C. Gillespie, and Paul C Glasby.  Are they the same person with different spellings of the name, or two different people?

                Frank Gillispie
                Hull, Georgia

                <pickspop@.. .> wrote:

                > I do extensive research on the War Between the States.
                > I checked existing SC records for Gillispie and
                > Gillespie to try and locate Paul Gillispie and
                > Alberta. Only one Gillispie in the records, and 17
                > Gillespie(numerous repeats of the same persons,
                > serving in several units). None with the first
                > initial P,A or B. If Paul is buried in SC, did he
                > possibly serve some other state?
                > Regards, Wm. Lockwood Gillespie

                Bill: I have a little information about Paul C Gillespie. Don't know
                where he was buried. The last I have on him is that he joined Big
                Creek Baptist Church in Williamston SC by letter Aug 31 1867.

                Paul Castleberry Gillespie

                From CSA Record from SC Archives

[...]

              • Jane Gillespie
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 25, 2006
                  I believe they are the same, Frank.
                  Jane

                  <pickspop@.. .> wrote:

                  > I do extensive research on the War Between the States.
                  > I checked existing SC records for Gillispie and
                  > Gillespie to try and locate Paul Gillispie and
                  > Alberta. Only one Gillispie in the records, and 17
                  > Gillespie(numerous repeats of the same persons,
                  > serving in several units). None with the first
                  > initial P,A or B. If Paul is buried in SC, did he
                  > possibly serve some other state?
                  > Regards, Wm. Lockwood Gillespie

                  Bill: I have a little information about Paul C Gillespie. Don't know
                  where he was buried. The last I have on him is that he joined Big
                  Creek Baptist Church in Williamston SC by letter Aug 31 1867.

                  Paul Castleberry Gillespie

                  From CSA Record from SC Archives

[...]

                • Karyn Garvin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 26, 2010
                    possibly Flat Rock Baptist Church in Liberty, SC. Many, many Gillespies
                    buried there. I am researching Gillespie family info for a friend, and
                    he & his family are members there. I think he is a descendant of
                    Greenlee Gillespie through son John Thomas Gillespie, then son Ervin
                    Lake Gillespie, then son Lake Ervin Gillespie.
                    Any of this in known information for Greenlee?

                    Karyn Buckner Garvin
                    erwinwarrior@...

                    <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

                    > I was in a calling mood today so called this gentleman for more info.
                    > One of his ancestors was PAUL GILLISPIE who served with the
                    > Confederates and is buried at Flat Rock Baptist Church in SC - but
                    > apparently there is more than one Flat Rock so he isn't sure of the
                    > exact burial place. This PAUL may have been married to a Cherokee
                    > woman. PAUL'S uncle or brother may have been named BERT.
                    >
                    > Any of this ring a bell?
                    >

                    > --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Connie Mac"
                    > lairdkinna@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just received this inquiry. Does anyone on this list recognize
                    this
                    > > branch of GILLESPIES? This person is interested in joining the DNA
                    > > project.
                    > >
                    > > Connie

                    South
                    > > Carolina. We were connected with Refuge Plantation, now known as
                    the
                    > > Maveric plantation. I have ancestors burried at Refuge Baptist
                    Church
                    > > and other area churches.<<

                  • bill glaspy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2010
                      Connie, this information is pretty well known to those of us who have been working with group 3 genealogy for the past decades.  Even for those of us who are in Texas, and even spell it Glaspy.  Where we are really hung up, or as Marty says, "dead-ended" is with Greenlee Gillespie's  (and William Young Glaspy's) paternal grandfather.

                      And for Karyn, the first name Ervin is now in it's third generation in Tx.  And we'll be glad to help her friend with anything we can.

                      Sugar Glaspy
                      Mrs. William Miles Glaspy (Bill)
                    • Karyn Garvin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 15, 2010
                        Thank you so very much !! I'm excited to be able to tell my friend that Ervin has continued in family he has never met, I think his father would be happy to hear some of this too. I am getting together all my files to send for my friend's lineage to the project for the DNA test. We are a little behind timewise where we wanted to be, his father is very ill right now. I should have everything together to send tonight.
                        I appreciate all your help too, I have his tree on Ancestry.com and can send invites to anyone who can assist with family information.
                        erwinwarrior on Ancestry, email is erwinwarrior@...
                        Karyn Buckner Garvin

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 15, 2010
                          On behalf of my friend, I look forward to working with all of you :)
                          Karyn