Welcome

  • Connie Mac
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hello and welcome to everyone that has submitted their DNA for the
      Gillespie DNA Project.

      I have started this discussion group so all of us can share
      information about our Gillespie lines and the test results. There is
      also a photo section if you want to post a few photos of your
      earliest ancestors - nothing current please.

      As we have seen from the DNA test results of the first members, there
      is alot of genetic distance between all the members. Richard
      Gillespie, the project co-administrator and my personal DNA line
      donor, has shown that our particular line descends from Viking stock -
      not the more traditional R1b of the area...so we aren't even
      remotely related to the other DNA test members.

      I have to admit that the results surprised me, but after reading some
      history on the early adoption of the surname GILLESPIE by a variety
      of people, it is really not that surprising.

      I think that it is going to take many more DNA test samples before we
      begin to see a pattern within this surname.

      Connie McKenzie
      Gillespie DNA Project Adminstrator
    • earl1gillespie
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2006
        --- In GillespieDNAProject_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Connie Mac"
        <lairdkinna@...> wrote:

        > Hello and welcome to everyone that has submitted their DNA for the
        > Gillespie DNA Project.
        >
        > I have started this discussion group so all of us can share
        > information about our Gillespie lines and the test results. There
        is
        > also a photo section if you want to post a few photos of your
        > earliest ancestors - nothing current please.
        >
        > As we have seen from the DNA test results of the first members,
        there
        > is alot of genetic distance between all the members. Richard
        > Gillespie, the project co-administrator and my personal DNA line
        > donor, has shown that our particular line descends from Viking
        stock -
        > not the more traditional R1b of the area...so we aren't even
        > remotely related to the other DNA test members.
        >
        > I have to admit that the results surprised me, but after reading
        some
        > history on the early adoption of the surname GILLESPIE by a variety
        > of people, it is really not that surprising.
        >
        > I think that it is going to take many more DNA test samples before
        we
        > begin to see a pattern within this surname.
        >
        > Connie McKenzie
        > Gillespie DNA Project Adminstrator

        Just discovered this site - Thanx to a cousin (on both sides of her
        family). I will definately submit a DNA sample. will be intrigued
        with the results. On an easlier website, which may be down by now, I
        placed this info perhaps 8-10 years ago:

        Many of the remaining Gillespie's can be found in and around Quinter,
        Kansas and Finley, Ohio. The Gillespie country of origin is Scotland;
        a sept of Clan MacPherson. What little I've been able to learn about
        the origins of our surname was provided through the kindness of Chev.
        J. David Murdock, KCStS. He indicates :

        "Gillespie is derived from the Gaelic "Gilleasbuig" meaning 'servant
        of the bishop.' The reason for the connection to Clan Macpherson is
        that the progenator of the clan was by tradition one Gillespeck Mor
        who was the first Captain of Clan Chattan. Mhuirich was supposedly
        his son and the Parson of Kingussie. It was, in turn, his son that
        first took the name MacPherson or son of the parson. A lot of myth
        here but of course where there is a little smoke there is some fire
        as well. Actually Gillespie and Murdock are the two oldest names in
        the clan. The core name is that of the clan Chief's
        surname, "Macpherson" The Gaelic name of the clan is still Clann
        Mhuirich. If you are not a member, I would like to invite you to join
        our growing family."

        Good to know al this activity is taking place.

        Earl Gillespie
        Satellite Beach, FL